OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
Here's hoping there will be some good news right before Gary Carter's birthday! Happy early Bday Kid!

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
As long as Bronfman doesn't ask Plante for money the meeting should go okay. I know that the Provincial government has a vested interest in keeping the Big O and its bureaucracy going but the City of Montreal shouldn't care where the team plays as long as they don't have to pay for it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
As long as Bronfman doesn't ask Plante for money the meeting should go okay. I know that the Provincial government has a vested interest in keeping the Big O and its bureaucracy going but the City of Montreal shouldn't care where the team plays as long as they don't have to pay for it.
It seemed they may ask the city, for a big break on taxes.........

Has there been any info out there today?

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
Some positive vibes.........a long road ahead though...
MLB seems to want 32 teams...it will take time, but it looks at least for now, positive.

It won't be a new team creation, it will be a transfer like the Spos to Washington ughhh !

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I love the last tweet. This is how it's supposed to be done. No taxpayer money should ever be used for privately run organizations. This stadium should be built exactly how the Molson Center was, off investors' money.

I'm also against fully taxpayer funded stadiums for privately owned franchises however not against some form of incentive. Most sectors in Canada get taxpayer subsidies in one form or another.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm also against fully taxpayer funded stadiums for privately owned franchises however not against some form of incentive. Most sectors in Canada get taxpayer subsidies in one form or another.

Exactly. If they're not going to provide any incentives to the project, then all other projects and private businesses should cease receiving any governmental assistance in whatever form.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
one thing i did hear the ownership group say, the return is still many years away....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Replying to "HabsFan" below, Garber wrote this:

Jul 6, 2016
It won't be a new team creation, it will be a transfer like the Spos to Washington ughhh !

Not so sure about that, even if TB Rays seems like a good candidate to move over. They already have a minor league system, players, coaches, etc... It's better than starting from zero.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Why not put that money for a football stadium instead to attract the NFL? It is way more topical. Kids are playing hockey and soccer. And in school they are playing football. It's not like when we were kids in the 80s where everybody was playing baseball, it was part of our culture.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why not put that money for a football stadium instead to attract the NFL? It is way more topical. Kids are playing hockey and soccer. And in school they are playing football. It's not like when we were kids in the 80s where everybody was playing baseball, it was part of our culture.
There are people who feel the NFL will slip big time in the next 20-25 yrs because of the concussion issue............there are families that do not want their kids playing football now, which will lead to a downfall of the NFL at some point...
You make a great point though, there are not alot of kids playing baseball right now...all throughout the country, and it's sad, very sad.
Would love to see MLB return to Montreal...

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Toronto can't even get an NFL franchise. Not sure Montreal would be among Top 10 cities for an expansion or reloc. NFL is even looking at Europe (London) for expansion since teams only play once every week travel is not that big of a concern. London and Mexico City

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There are people who feel the NFL will slip big time in the next 20-25 yrs because of the concussion issue............there are families that do not want their kids playing football now, which will lead to a downfall of the NFL at some point...
You make a great point though, there are not alot of kids playing baseball right now...all throughout the country, and it's sad, very sad.
Would love to see MLB return to Montreal...

I think the concussion stuff is like anything, sure they lost people in recruitment for years but after things settled in the media, it went back to business as usual. Football is too ingrained in American culture to go away locally and they make too much money, it's attractive to families. And It is like hockey over here, everybody plays it. It's huge. And in Quebec you've seen an incredible push at youth levels of kids playing football. I've heard many instance of families choosing to replace hockey for football cause they liked the culture of respect teached to young men in football.

Sadly baseball is gone and it will never be back in the culture. Which is why business-wise it would make more sense to try lurring the NFL. I'm not against Baseball though and I would be happy if it's back. Just thought it would may be more logical to try football.

Reactions: BLONG7

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I think the concussion stuff is like anything, sure they lost people in recruitment for years but after things settled in the media, it went back to business as usual. Football is too ingrained in American culture to go away locally and they make too much money, it's attractive to families. And It is like hockey over here, everybody plays it. It's huge. And in Quebec you've seen an incredible push at youth levels of kids playing football. I've heard many instance of families choosing to replace hockey for football cause they liked the culture of respect teached to young men in football.

Sadly baseball is gone and it will never be back in the culture. Which is why business-wise it would make more sense to try lurring the NFL. I'm not against Baseball though and I would be happy if it's back. Just thought it would may be more logical to try football.

The problem is its not a strong business decision to try to attract a NFL team as there are too many practical hurdles in getting one. First would be the cost as an expansion team would come in a hefty fee, probbly higher than the MLB"s fee. Second, there's many other cities who are better equipped or have stronger NFL ties than Montreal.

Could the NFL someday come to Montreal? Sure since anything can happen just like an NBA team is a possibility. But with the Expos brand already in place, committed owners on board and support towards the idea of bringing baseball back secured from government and to an extent from the MLB. Bringing back the Expos is a better investment to make both in the short term and long term. Baseball Quebec would no doubt see a rise once the Expos come back and no doubt a new Expos team would invest in getting kids back to joining baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->