OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He would spike sales when he pitched. Do you think that impossible?

Please quote, specifically, where I suggested that Gooden spiked sales for all Mets games.

I misunderstood your post then.

I don’t think we can compare Mets fans with Yankees and Red Sox fans though. Those teams actually have fans in Canada, but the Mets don’t.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
27 homes dates each summer vs Jays, Sox and Yankees the city would be bumping full of visiting fans. Probably get a decent crew int own from Orioles fans too, oldschool club with a lot of fans all over the North East.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I laugh at the president of the RIO saying a future Expos team will need the Olympic Stadium for early year games and playoffs. Are you kidding me?? Minnesota has an outdoor stadium and it is colder than here. Yankees home opener was postponed today due to snow. We could easily play all games at the outdoor stadium including playoffs. Another example of the president of the RIO trying to keep Olympic Stadium relevant.

Average temperature by month in Montreal:

April: Average of 9 degrees, high as 15, low as 1.
May: 17 degrees, high as 24, low as 7
June: 24 degrees, high of 30, low of 15
July: 26 degrees, high of 33, low of 21
August: 25 degrees, high of 31, low of 18
September: 21 degrees, high of 27, low of 14
October: 13 degrees, high of 21, low of 8

EVERY GAME will be played at the outdoor stadium. Play the first 2-3 series on the road and have a home opener mid-April.

Say April 12th is the day of the season to start in Montreal if we play the first 3 series on the road

This year it would mean a temperature of 7 degrees with sun. Hardly terrible. The second half of April also usually means temperatures of over 10 degrees regularly.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I laugh at the president of the RIO saying a future Expos team will need the Olympic Stadium for early year games and playoffs. Are you kidding me?? Minnesota has an outdoor stadium and it is colder than here. Yankees home opener was postponed today due to snow. We could easily play all games at the outdoor stadium including playoffs. Another example of the president of the RIO trying to keep Olympic Stadium relevant.

Average temperature by month in Montreal:

April: Average of 9 degrees, high as 15, low as 1.
May: 17 degrees, high as 24, low as 7
June: 24 degrees, high of 30, low of 15
July: 26 degrees, high of 33, low of 21
August: 25 degrees, high of 31, low of 18
September: 21 degrees, high of 27, low of 14
October: 13 degrees, high of 21, low of 8

EVERY GAME will be played at the outdoor stadium. Play the first 2-3 series on the road and have a home opener mid-April.

Say April 12th is the day of the season to start in Montreal if we play the first 3 series on the road

This year it would mean a temperature of 7 degrees with sun. Hardly terrible. The second half of April also usually means temperatures of over 10 degrees regularly.

It’s a ridiculous argument. Kind of like this stereotype that Canadians live in igloos. Montreal is a beautiful city in the summer, the climate isn’t any different from NY or Boston. Like you said, Minnesota has no issues and it’s obviously colder. Same with Chicago.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
You weren’t responding to my original post.

Two times you haven’t answered my question about the Mets in the 80s, when they were arguably more popular than the Yankees.

Again, do you honestly think you were enlightening me with the closeness of Toronto and Boston?

What’s your source on the Jays fan base currently be one that is know to travel? You seem certain.

I’m sceptical on a business model that is based on selling tickets to other teams fans. I’m not wild about being up against two of the richest teams which could limit on field success.

On their best day ever, the Mets have never been more popular than the Yankees, save for perhaps 1969-73 when the Yankees were going through a decade-long drought (1965-75) As soon as the Yankees got good again in 76 the Mets were nowhere, even in the years when they were a playoff team. Just look back to the subway series. The city of New York treated the Mets like the away team. The Mets have their fans but they are grossly outnumbered by Yankees fans and Yankees fans travel more to see their team on the road than Mets fans do. Same goes for the Red Sox. Their fans will travel to Montreal just like Bruins fans travel to see their team play at the Bell Centre. Jays fans (many of them ex-Montrealers) love coming to Montreal on a weekend. They come for the pre-season games so I expect them to do likewise for regular season games.

I know people out here in BC who aren't really big fans of the Yankees or Bosox but if either of those teams comes to play the Mariners they'll buy tickets just because it's the Yankees or Bosox. Jays fans in BC of course always come down the I-5 in droves whenever their team visits Seattle. Believe me, if the Expos don't want to play in the AL East, the Mariners would love to take their place. They draw better for games against New York, Boston and Toronto than they do for games against the Angels or A's.

That said I like NL ball better than the AL version and I won't be upset in the least if the Expos wind up as an NL team once again. But if they go to the AL I can live with it, and I'll be buying tickets whenever they come to Seattle.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
It’s a ridiculous argument. Kind of like this stereotype that Canadians live in igloos. Montreal is a beautiful city in the summer, the climate isn’t any different from NY or Boston. Like you said, Minnesota has no issues and it’s obviously colder. Same with Chicago.
The Ernst & Young feasibility study used Minnesota as a comparable because the climate is so similar to that of Montreal. If they can thrive with an outdoor stadium (as they've done both before and after the Metrodome) then so can the Expos. Besides, as soon as you add a roof (which would HAVE to be retractable if you wanted any hope of drawing crowds on a sunny day) you're adding hundreds of millions of dollars to the final price tag for your stadium. And as the study showed, there isn't enough revenue lost to rain-out's to warrant the cost.

The primary advantage of a roof is that you can guarantee that the game will be played. So if people are coming in droves from New York State to see the Yankees, or from New England to see the Red Sox or from Ontario to see the Jays, they know that it's not going to be a wasted trip for them due to inclement weather. But like I said, is that enough to warrant the cost when one considers that you don't get that many rain out's in an average year?

Reactions: donghabs98

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
The Ernst & Young feasibility study used Minnesota as a comparable because the climate is so similar to that of Montreal. If they can thrive with an outdoor stadium (as they've done both before and after the Metrodome) then so can the Expos. Besides, as soon as you add a roof (which would HAVE to be retractable if you wanted any hope of drawing crowds on a sunny day) you're adding hundreds of millions of dollars to the final price tag for your stadium. And as the study showed, there isn't enough revenue lost to rain-out's to warrant the cost.

The primary advantage of a roof is that you can guarantee that the game will be played. So if people are coming in droves from New York State to see the Yankees, or from New England to see the Red Sox or from Ontario to see the Jays, they know that it's not going to be a wasted trip for them due to inclement weather. But like I said, is that enough to warrant the cost when one considers that you don't get that many rain out's in an average year?

One of the partners of EY spoke last week on TSN690 and was also outraged by the president of the RIO statement. The only way the Big O is used is as a temporary facility while the stadium is being built. In no way will the team play a single game at the Big O when the new stadium is ready.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Even if the Big O wasn't a concrete dumpster, its in a horrible location - one of the poorest neighbourhoods in the city and nowhere near the downtown core. It's located in one of the few areas on the island with next to no baseball fans so everyone who shows up for a game has to commute there.

This is the issue that the RIO never addresses. Even if you spruce up the stadium, spend good money after bad renovating it...it is still where it is: the middle of friggin' nowhere.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Even if the Big O wasn't a concrete dumpster, its in a horrible location - one of the poorest neighbourhoods in the city and nowhere near the downtown core. It's located in one of the few areas on the island with next to no baseball fans so everyone who shows up for a game has to commute there.

This is the issue that the RIO never addresses. Even if you spruce up the stadium, spend good money after bad renovating it...it is still where it is: the middle of friggin' nowhere.

It's a great skate park though

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

These guys managing the big owe need to be given some incentive to shut it down. Like $100,000 bonuses if they came up with a cheap plan. Instead right now all they do is spend all day presenting reasons to hand them 10 figure cheques to keep the place running.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That said I like NL ball better than the AL version and I won't be upset in the least if the Expos wind up as an NL team once again. But if they go to the AL I can live with it, and I'll be buying tickets whenever they come to Seattle.

At this point, I don't care what division or league they're in, just bring them back as fast as possible. Washington waited 33 years before they could snag a franchise. And since we were putzes and couldn't hold on to ours, time to get one of our own, by whatever means available.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I'm at my work computer and the links to the tweets don't work. What did they say?

Youppi has asked Molson for a trade back to the Expos!

JUST IN: Stephen Bronfman and Mitch Garber will meet with #Montreal Mayor Valerie Plante on Friday. Mr. Bronfman did say on #TSN690 last week that he's looking to first simply establish a relationship with Mme. Plante. #Pol

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
What would actually happen with Youppi! if the Expos come back? Would he just be a mascot for both teams?

That's an interesting situation. I'd imagine Molson could come to some deal to let the Expos use Youppi whenever he's not at a Habs game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->