OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Why would MLB expand to a city that will end up needing the maximum amount of revenue sharing? Shouldn't they choose a city that has the possibility of actually providing revenue? San Antonio perhaps?

The revenue sharing is primarily a redistribution of the national TV money. It's not really a welfare allotment as some believe that it is. The Mega dollar TV contract is what makes the playing field much more even than to was while the Expos existed. The rest of the money shared, I believe, is a luxury tax on teams like the NYY's that have mega dollars because of their own gigantic regional TV contracts and insist on trying to buy championships by spending like there's no tomorrow.

Things have changed drastically for baseball from 2005.

Reactions: DAChampion

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I may be part of a minority but I would want them back in the NL. Don’t need rivalry with Jays for me to be interested.

I think it's a win-win for MLB to put MON in the AL East, though. Better natural regional rivalries (if you're going to do a move, give yourself the best odds of it working, in the end) and zero chance of two Canadian teams facing off in the World Series (which had been an actual possibility in '94 and my have tipped the owner's decision to stare down the union at the time), with the resulting awful TV ratings in the US.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
4hours long people swinging a ball every 30sec. Man I cant agree with u on this one. We all know it would need a new Stadium also. I wonder whos gonna pay for it. Clearly not gonna be private.
Its already a disaster with QC arena.

Lets not make another mistake.

To be fair an average MLB game is just over 3 hours ( Average MLB game time rises to record 3:05)

Regarding your other point this is one of the confident aspects I have in the Expos returning to Montreal which is Bronfman has publicly stated he won't be asking for any money from the municipal government and that any financial help from the provincial government would likely take place on the form of a Public-Private Partnership.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lol.

Métropolitain montreal in 2018 has a population of 4.3 million people.

Its crazy how some thinks that Montréal is not big. Its à very big City. Its not a monster ny, l.a or even Toronto but its the 15th market in north america.

Sincen25 years..there is 1.2 million more people in metropolitain mtl..

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lol.

Métropolitain montreal in 2018 has a population of 4.3 million people.

Its crazy how some thinks that Montréal is not big. Its à very big City. Its not a monster ny, l.a or even Toronto but its the 15th market in north america.

Sincen25 years..there is 1.2 million more people in metropolitain mtl..
Montreal was once biggest city in Canada when Expos drew major attendance. It is not a baseball town. 4.3 million you say drawing low attendance speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
:huh:

The GMA grew from 2.8 million in 1980 to over 4 million today...

The city grew from 1 mil to 1.7 mil...
Population grows most everywhere. Financial picture is different here. Many national corporations pulled out of province due to political instability of 80s and 90s. Taking thousands of high paying jobs. Along with their trickle down effect. They said Why keep Canadian head offices in city which maybe in a foreign country?

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I may be part of a minority but I would want them back in the NL. Don’t need rivalry with Jays for me to be interested.
You are too much of a traditionalist. If Montreal is shifted to the AL East, think of the natural rivalry with the Jays and intense battles with Boston, not to mention automatic sellouts when the Yankees come to town.

Reactions: BLONG7

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Yup... It's going to need A LOT of money. If the Nordiques come back it might be an incentive to go ahead with the project, if they don't then politicians won't be so eager to take such a gamble.
Bronfman of Seagrams has cash coming out of his ears. He ought to buy the Tampa Rays and relocate them to Montreal.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
You are too much of a traditionalist. If Montreal is shifted to the AL East, think of the natural rivalry with the Jays and intense battles with Boston, not to mention automatic sellouts when the Yankees come to town.

What specifically, beyond my opinion on this, leads you to conclude that I am “too much of a traditionalist”? That seems like a very broad and personal conclusion to make.

Do you think you are the first to cite the Yankees, Jays and Red Sox factoid? Do you truly think that you are the first person to bring this to my attention? Please explain in detail.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
As much as I would love the Expos to go back to the NL, I can not deny the fact that playing in the AL East would boost attendance by so much. Having regular games against Toronto, Boston and the Yankees would mean automatic weekend sellouts against those teams. It would be much harder to make the postseason for sure however.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
As much as I would love the Expos to go back to the NL, I can not deny the fact that playing in the AL East would boost attendance by so much. Having regular games against Toronto, Boston and the Yankees would mean automatic weekend sellouts against those teams. It would be much harder to make the postseason for sure however.
By the new Expos selling out home games against the Jays, BoSox and Yankees, you’re talking about 3 x 8 = 24 games minimum every season and the Montreal owner(s) will most likely match the Jays’ payroll spending of at least $120M per season and be attractive to free agents.

Reactions: Runner77

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
By the new Expos selling out home games against the Jays, BoSox and Yankees, you’re talking about 3 x 8 = 24 games minimum every season and the Montreal owner(s) [one of them might be Bell Canada] will most likely match the Jays’ payroll spending of at least $120M per season and be attractive to free agents.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Back in the 80s, the Mets were pretty damn popular, maybe moreso than the Yankees. I don’t recall huge attendance spikes, unless Gooden was throwing and those were Expos fans.

What specifically has changed so that we can count on Red Sox and Yankee fans flooding the stadium?

Reactions: Runner77

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Back in the 80s, the Mets were pretty damn popular, maybe moreso than the Yankees. I don’t recall huge attendance spikes, unless Gooden was throwing and those were Expos fans.

What specifically has changed so that we can count on Red Sox and Yankee fans flooding the stadium?

First of all, Boston and Toronto are a 5-6 hours drive away. Both fan bases travel very well. For a weekend series in Montreal, you should expect large amount of fans to come up for those games.

Also, the Yankees are popular anywhere you go, Montreal included. Fans would much rather see the Yankees over say the Mets or the Phillies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Montreal was once biggest city in Canada when Expos drew major attendance. It is not a baseball town. 4.3 million you say drawing low attendance speaks volumes.

They were also asking 50,000 people to take the metro to Pie-IX to a concrete monstrosity to watch a team that was gutted since the dollar sucked. There’s a reason people didn’t go. An open air stadium downtown would do wonders and people would come.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
First of all, Boston and Toronto are a 5-6 hours drive away. Both fan bases travel very well. For a weekend series in Montreal, you should expect large amount of fans to come up for those games.

Also, the Yankees are popular anywhere you go, Montreal included. Fans would much rather see the Yankees over say the Mets or the Phillies.

Where in that post did I mention the Jays or Yankees?

What gave you the impression I don’t understand geography? Be very specific.

So why didn’t the Mets spike attendance when they were popular? You answered my post while wholly ignoring the specific question I asked.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Does anyone have a cite for the suggestion that Jays fans travel well? It’s seems to be accepted as fact, but when the team is off they struggle to travel to downtown Toronto.

I’m sure there are many sources for everyone to accept it a simple fact. Thanks.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Where in that post did I mention the Jays or Yankees?

What gave you the impression I don’t understand geography? Be very specific.

So why didn’t the Mets spike attendance when they were popular? You answered my post while wholly ignoring the specific question I asked.

You asked about the Yankees in your original post. Montreal fans in 2018 would rather see the Yankees than the Mets. Also, Boston and Toronto being closer to Montreal it will be easier to attract them then say attract the Phillies or Braves (like in the old NL East). Also, Montreal has natural rivalries with Toronto and Boston which would spike local attendance.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
When the mid-1980s Mets played at Olympic Stadium, it was ex-Expo Gary the Kid Carter who drew the fans in moreso than Doc Gooden and Keith Hernandez.

Nowadays, Boston-Montreal NHL rivalry will translate into a Red Sox-New Expos rivalry; Toronto-Montreal is a natural Canadian rivalry reminiscent of the old Canada Day games between the Jays and the Expos; and of course the Yankees’ Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez in Montreal to play will mean overflowing crowds.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
You asked about the Yankees in your original post. Montreal fans in 2018 would rather see the Yankees than the Mets. Also, Boston and Toronto being closer to Montreal it will be easier to attract them then say attract the Phillies or Braves (like in the old NL East). Also, Montreal has natural rivalries with Toronto and Boston which would spike local attendance.
You weren’t responding to my original post.

Two times you haven’t answered my question about the Mets in the 80s, when they were arguably more popular than the Yankees.

Again, do you honestly think you were enlightening me with the closeness of Toronto and Boston?

What’s your source on the Jays fan base currently be one that is know to travel? You seem certain.

I’m sceptical on a business model that is based on selling tickets to other teams fans. I’m not wild about being up against two of the richest teams which could limit on field success.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
When the mid-1980s Mets played at Olympic Stadium, it was ex-Expo Gary the Kid Carter who drew the fans in moreso than Doc Gooden and Keith Hernandez.

Nowadays, Boston-Montreal NHL rivalry will translate into a Red Sox-New Expos rivalry; Toronto-Montreal is a natural Canadian rivalry reminiscent of the old Canada Day games between the Jays and the Expos; and of course the Yankees’ Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez in Montreal to play will mean overflowing crowds.

You don’t remember Gooden spiking ticket sales in 1984?

He was the biggest story in baseball.

Nobody suggested Keith Hernandez was selling tickets. But the Mets were huge then, and I have no recollection of their fans travelling in big numbers, an in my opinion the city was more fun then.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Sox and Yank fans were flooding the Big O during the days when the Expos were competently run. The Expos represented a cheaper and more accessible game experience for them despite travel and accommodation costs.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You don’t remember Gooden spiking ticket sales in 1984?

He was the biggest story in baseball.

Nobody suggested Keith Hernandez was selling tickets. But the Mets were huge then, and I have no recollection of their fans travelling in big numbers, an in my opinion the city was more fun then.

Gooden played once every 5 games. How could he spike ticket sales if he was sitting in the dugout?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Gooden played once every 5 games. How could he spike ticket sales if he was sitting in the dugout?

He would spike sales when he pitched. Do you think that impossible?

Please quote, specifically, where I suggested that Gooden spiked sales for all Mets games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->