All of Philadelphia should be ashamed imho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
When i think about buying my first Forsberg jersey when i was in Stockholm 1992... (picking any MoDo jersey by chance), watching the guy who's jersey i got become the main actor on swedens Olympic triumph in 1994, then following his North American career...

And now 12 years later history is about to repeat itself. I get the shivers. These are truly olympic moments we are about to experience. Imagine Foppa receiving Gold again - what a fantastic closure to what has been a career that has left it's stamp on his sport like only a few athletes have.

I think i'm going to cry tomorrow, either way :innocent:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
ashamed?

Philly fans are the proudest I've ever met. As long as Forsberg has enough in the tank to excel in the NHL playoffs, he'll be hailed as a hockey god.

But you must remember: Americans are all about RESULTS.

If he has what it takes to win Olympic gold plus be the difference in the Flyers run to the Stanley Cup, then all will likely be good in the city of liberty.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
So why is it, then, that Philadelphia should be ashamed? Because Flyers fans were a little upset about Forsberg going to Turin with a groin injury that was bad enough to keep him out of games in the NHL?

I love what the Olympics stand for. I understand the draw of competing for a medal and national glory. However, and this is as true in hockey as it is in a sport like soccer, professional franchises invest MILLIONS of dollars in these players. Fans pay THOUSANDS of dollars to see these players play.

I understand what Forsberg means to Swedish hockey. At the same time, I also understand that the only thing that heals groin injuries is rest. If Forsberg were to suffer an injury that causes him to miss significant time for the Flyers, and that injury could've been avoided by him skipping the Olympics, then the Flyers and their fans would be justifiably upset.

This, my friends, is the problem with having professionals in the Olympics.

capn89*

HFNHL Commish said:
So why is it, then, that Philadelphia should be ashamed? Because Flyers fans were a little upset about Forsberg going to Turin with a groin injury that was bad enough to keep him out of games in the NHL?

I love what the Olympics stand for. I understand the draw of competing for a medal and national glory. However, and this is as true in hockey as it is in a sport like soccer, professional franchises invest MILLIONS of dollars in these players. Fans pay THOUSANDS of dollars to see these players play.

I understand what Forsberg means to Swedish hockey. At the same time, I also understand that the only thing that heals groin injuries is rest. If Forsberg were to suffer an injury that causes him to miss significant time for the Flyers, and that injury could've been avoided by him skipping the Olympics, then the Flyers and their fans would be justifiably upset.

Very nice post. Not only do I not like seeing professionals in the Olympics because of the reasons you stated, but I don't like seeing them there because there is no more "magic." The Olympics were never supposed to be about millionaires facing off against one another, it was supposed to be about amateurs. And quite frankly, they're really not that important.

Jazz

HFNHL Commish said:

The NHL has made a coporate decision to shut down it's season and participate in the Olympics, in order to to have a global audience. In doing so, they have effectively stated that the Olympics games are just as important as the NHL games this season. Thus, the players are obligated to play (if they are healthy).

Now Forsberg is not stupid, he rested the early part of Feburary because he was not 100%. He still was not 100% the day the Olympics began, and thus did not play. When he reached 100% (whether the NHL season is on, or the Olympics) that is when he started playing. He could just as easily aggravate the injury if he came back on Feb 19th playing for the Flyers (ie, if there was no Olympic break).

Also, and many people here don't seem to get this, he owes something to the (Swedish) Federation that brought him up since his youth and made him the player that he is today.

If NHL teams are going to pressure players for not playing for the National Federation, than these National Federations should demand higher transfer fees.

Jazz

Broad st phantom said:
I know im not ashamed, we got forsberg in one corner and nitty in the other. im happy as hell about the outcome so far :handclap:
Exactly - what if Nitty gains a ton of confidence from this Olympic tournament and grabs the #1 goalie position back in Philly and goes on a run when he gets back? Will the Olympics all of a sudden be a good thing then? :sarcasm:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
why should philly fans be ashamed? yet another ridiculous comment by this poster

if i spend $2000-4000 on season tickets i'd be rightly ticked off that one of the main players im paying my hard earned money to see was "injured" and couldnt play in the NHL games, but after another few days rest in italy was miraculously better and could play for his country.... if forsberg plays the rest of the season, then fair enough, but if he cant play because of his "injury" again, i would be SEVERLY ticked off if i was a philly fan

thank god im not a philly fan though, lol

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
I don't really understand why Flyers fans should be ashamed. The original poster should be ashamed.

If Forsberg wins gold and stays healthy, that's incredible. If he "wins" silver and stays healthy, I'm just as happy.

There's nothing to be ashamed of. Flyers fans are/were worried about his groin and subsequently how it would affect the rest of his National Hockey League season, nothing else.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
capn89 said:
Very nice post. Not only do I not like seeing professionals in the Olympics because of the reasons you stated, but I don't like seeing them there because there is no more "magic." The Olympics were never supposed to be about millionaires facing off against one another, it was supposed to be about amateurs. And quite frankly, they're really not that important.

You are 100 % incorrect.

Baron de Coubertin was an elitist who wanted amateur athletes only, so that ONLY RICH PEOPLE could compete. Who else but the idle rich would have time to train and compete back in 1896 ? Most people were struggling to survive.

The ideal of the amateur athlete is a myth.

Zaddik

i don't understand what you're trying to get at. they should be ashamed of what?

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Zaddik said:
i don't understand what you're trying to get at. they should be ashamed of what?
Might be a long shot, but maybe he meant proud? The antonym of ashamed. I take it English isn't his first language, so I guess it's not too unreasonable to mix up word definitions with their antonyms.

But I'm just guessing here.

Nikkowar

Feb 13, 2003
Upper Darby
if that's the case,then I don't count,I live in Upper Darby ;)

but either way,whoever wins,I'll be happy.
It'll be a good experience for Nitty,big confidence booster,and maybe he'll come back to us better than ever. Same with Forsberg.

Jazz

Dr Love said:
All of Philadelphia? Even the people who have no problem with Forsberg playing?
In Philadelphia??? They exist?? :sarcasm:

kytem2 said:
You are 100 % incorrect.

Baron de Coubertin was an elitist who wanted amateur athletes only, so that ONLY RICH PEOPLE could compete. Who else but the idle rich would have time to train and compete back in 1896 ? Most people were struggling to survive.

The ideal of the amateur athlete is a myth.
:clap: :clap:

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Force said:
When i think about buying my first Forsberg jersey when i was in Stockholm 1992... (picking any MoDo jersey by chance), watching the guy who's jersey i got become the main actor on swedens Olympic triumph in 1994, then following his North American career...

The bold part I definitely agree with. In fact if they'd just melt the ice, he'd probably win the gold in another event.......... :biglaugh:

Seriously, good for Sweden and good for Finland. I hope the Finns win, but just because Saku coming back from cancer trumps Forsberg's bad groin and the tragedy that was Salt Lake for Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad