Player Discussion All Encompassing Goaltending Megathread: Part II

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Very encouraged by the way Hank is playing. But a little concerned with the overuse. If they don't trust Pavelec to start an occasional game here and there, they need to cut their losses and get a guy who they do trust.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's not a trust issue.

They've said it a billion times already.

It's because the schedule for the past few weeks has been incredibly lenient and allowed the team to play Hank more. It's starting to pick up and we're getting some more B2Bs soon, so they'll be using Pavelec more.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It's not a trust issue.

They've said it a billion times already.

It's because the schedule for the past few weeks has been incredibly lenient and allowed the team to play Hank more. It's starting to pick up and we're getting some more B2Bs soon, so they'll be using Pavelec more.
Yup, this has literally been said publicly by AV like 15 times over the past couple weeks.

I'm not worried about Hank being overplayed. He's better when he plays more anyway.

And he's not 36, he's 35.

Considering he doesn't turn 36 until 3 weeks left in the regular season, I'd say this is his Age 35 season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How's this for a stat:

Dan Rosen‏Verified account @drosennhl
FollowingFollowing @drosennhl
More
Henrik Lundqvist needs 30 saves to become the 15th goalie in NHL history with 20,000 saves. He will have the fewest goals allowed (currently 1,746) among goalies with 20,000 saves. Currently, it's Jacques Plante (20,865 saves, 1,960 goals allowed).

I wonder what the numbers are if you look at it from a league-wide scoring perspective.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
How's this for a stat:

Dan Rosen‏Verified account @drosennhl
FollowingFollowing @drosennhl
More
Henrik Lundqvist needs 30 saves to become the 15th goalie in NHL history with 20,000 saves. He will have the fewest goals allowed (currently 1,746) among goalies with 20,000 saves. Currently, it's Jacques Plante (20,865 saves, 1,960 goals allowed).

Now that's an interesting stat. It speaks volumes about Henrik's place in NHL and hockey history already.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
As great as Hank has been, we need to get Pavelec in some games. Hank playing 70+ games at 36 is a horrendous thought.
Steve Valliquette said it best, Hank is different. He needs to play a lot to be sharp, he needs to be playing all the time. It's just the way it is that's how you get the best out of him

Reactions: Chimp

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
DRgPmQvVoAAQCEz.jpg:large

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Having a workhorse franchise goalie that needs and wants to play basically every game is a good problem to have.

Hank has also stated that it isn't a problem physically to play alot of games. The problem is more focus related, to stay focused every second of those thousands of minutes of hockey.

Reactions: PTmbp13

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Lundqvist tied with Esposito now for 8th all time.

From nhl.com

"He's certainly in that vein with the great goalies of all time," Esposito told NHL.com in a phone interview. "Statistics don't lie."

Yes, he's 35. He'll turn 36 on March 2. But he's still playing at an elite level, and there's no reason to think he can't keep adding to his statistics for the foreseeable future. Since Oct. 31, among goaltenders who have played at least 19 games, he ranks fourth in save percentage (.929) and fifth in goals-against average (2.38).

"He can probably play another three or four years effectively," said Esposito, 74, who played until he was 40. "I just think that he should continue to play as long as he's healthy and contributing. I don't see why a guy has to quit just because he becomes a certain age. I just think that the goaltenders in history, the great goalies, played up until 40 years old."

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Henrik had a mediocre year last year and a poor start this year but he's been excellent his last 20-25 games so I think he's got his mojo back. Subtract October--he's been our best player and it's not that close.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hank has statistically always had his worst play in October. Like, it's factually proven to be true.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Hank has statistically always had his worst play in October. Like, it's factually proven to be true.
It's not a secret that the team usually plays some Benny Hill hockey in october either. And usually quite lackluster hockey in november, while falling back to bad hockey in december. It's usually in january onwards they actually start to look like a legit team. The number of bad games from the skaters have outweighed the good games in the first half of the season, as usual.

They've had one good stretch this season. That's it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's not a secret that the team usually plays some Benny Hill hockey in october either. And usually quite lackluster hockey in november, while falling back to bad hockey in december. It's usually in january onwards they actually start to look like a legit team. The number of bad games from the skaters have outweighed the good games in the first half of the season, as usual.

They've had one good stretch this season. That's it.

Henrik wasn't very good in October either--just saying--because it's true and last year wasn't great for him. Since October this year he's been on top of it---the save% says a lot--just that he's got it to where it is after a poor start---there is no doubt that he's giving his team a chance to win every single night and he has been our best player. There have been no weak goals for a long while. Credit where and when it's due. He's earning his $8.5. I wish Nash would do more for his $7.8.

To go further though--the Rangers are going to have a lot more road games than home games in the second half. They have their work cut out for them.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Henrik wasn't very good in October either--just saying--because it's true and last year wasn't great for him. Since October this year he's been on top of it---the save% says a lot--just that he's got it to where it is after a poor start---there is no doubt that he's giving his team a chance to win every single night and he has been our best player. There have been no weak goals for a long while. Credit where and when it's due. He's earning his $8.5. I wish Nash would do more for his $7.8.

To go further though--the Rangers are going to have a lot more road games than home games in the second half. They have their work cut out for them.
Well, that's the thing. Hank is slow to the start of the season, which is in synergy with the team being quite bad for the first half of the season. Then Hank picks up his game, keeps the team competitive for the first half of the season until they finally start playing some legit hockey.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Good for Hank he deserved to make it and he's having a great year.

How about Price being named to the Atlantic All-Star team while having a .911 SV% in what is a vastly disappointing season for not only his team, but himself personally. I know every team gets at least one representative, but come on. He's in the middle of a flat out bad year, below league average stats and he's on the all star team. Hilarious. This would be like Hank making it during his bad year last year.

Rask and Anderson are both more deserving and have far better stats.

Fleury in the Pacific? Really? He's played 12 games. That's less than some backups. He was injured for 2/3 of the season so far, how can he get on the All Star team? It's not like he's the sole representative from a bad team like Price. Poor John Gibson, who's having a great year.

I mean, I guess the fact that this is only Lundqvist's 4th time selected to an All-Star game tells you all you need to know about the legitimacy of the selections.

Last edited:

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Also happy that Ondrej has been flexing in the past few games we've played.

Post a dual .930 to reach the postseason. Easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->