Boxing: All boxing discussion

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Whatever Brook was saying in the post-fight interview that he was gonna take over in the middle rounds was just pride. He knew he was done.

In the same breath he said he was going to go back to 154 too, so you know he felt he didn't belong in the fight.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Golovkin didn't box well, that was one of his worst fights in recent years, but I thought he was still clearly in control of that fight. Maybe Brook won the second round, but otherwise it was really just a matter of how soon until GGG would knock him out. Brook was on the defensive the whole fight outside of parts of the second round, and it didn't look like Brook was able to hurt Golovkin at all. GGG was just out there swinging with reckless abandon, likely because he knew that Brook wouldn't be able to hurt him even if he left himself exposed after wildly swinging for the knockout.

By the time the fight was stopped, it wasn't likely to last more than another round. Brook could've been knocked down any second at that point, and he wasn't even able to throw punches back. Brook wasn't going to win that fight, it would've just been negligent of Brook's trainer to allow the best knockout artist in the sport to wildly hack away at Brook until the referee decides the obvious that the fight was over.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Really want too Canelo-GGG.

After hearing both fighters talk it definitely made more sense. Protecting Brook from further injury in a fight where he couldn't hurt his opponent. On HBO, Triple G said it felt like a sparring match, I had the fight tied but Brook was starting to get overpowered.

Maybe I missed GGG saying that it felt like a sparring match, but I didn't catch that and I literally just saw it. In fact he said something like treating it like a street fight. He did say good things about Brook and his boxing ability and GGG's face told a story.

Golovkin didn't box well, that was one of his worst fights in recent years, but I thought he was still clearly in control of that fight. Maybe Brook won the second round, but otherwise it was really just a matter of how soon until GGG would knock him out. Brook was on the defensive the whole fight outside of parts of the second round, and it didn't look like Brook was able to hurt Golovkin at all. GGG was just out there swinging with reckless abandon, likely because he knew that Brook wouldn't be able to hurt him even if he left himself exposed after wildly swinging for the knockout.

By the time the fight was stopped, it wasn't likely to last more than another round. Brook could've been knocked down any second at that point, and he wasn't even able to throw punches back. Brook wasn't going to win that fight, it would've just been negligent of Brook's trainer to allow the best knockout artist in the sport to wildly hack away at Brook until the referee decides the obvious that the fight was over.

Brook wasn't on the defensive the whole fith outside of parts of the second round. That's simply false. He wasn't on the defensive for parts of the first, second and third rounds, and notable parts of those rounds as well. Whether or not he was hurting GGG is unsure, but Hopkins thought he hurt him in the second round and as I noted GGG's face shows he got tagged. Of course GGG won all the rounds but one and was going to win, but Brook took the fight to him at times.

I think Brook was able to throw back until just before the very end. He simply wasn't throwing and IMO he went down that road too long. Either way as he said after the fight his eye was hurt and that was why the corner threw in the towel. They knew about it before that round and he trouble seeing GGG.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
It's not 10pm ET, it's right now

Yeah my stupid HBO Canada channel was showing ****** movies at 5:30pm so I had to grab an online stream at like 5:40PM yesterday to watch GGG.

I did watch the replay of the GGG/Brook fight at 10pm on HBO though as well since they showed it after the Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez vs. Carlos Cuadras fight.

Now that fight was a war. :yo:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really want too Canelo-GGG.

Maybe I missed GGG saying that it felt like a sparring match, but I didn't catch that and I literally just saw it. In fact he said something like treating it like a street fight. He did say good things about Brook and his boxing ability and GGG's face told a story.

Brook wasn't on the defensive the whole fith outside of parts of the second round. That's simply false. He wasn't on the defensive for parts of the first, second and third rounds, and notable parts of those rounds as well. Whether or not he was hurting GGG is unsure, but Hopkins thought he hurt him in the second round and as I noted GGG's face shows he got tagged. Of course GGG won all the rounds but one and was going to win, but Brook took the fight to him at times.

I think Brook was able to throw back until just before the very end. He simply wasn't throwing and IMO he went down that road too long. Either way as he said after the fight his eye was hurt and that was why the corner threw in the towel. They knew about it before that round and he trouble seeing GGG.

I was watching the movement of both fighters really closely. GGG was cutting down the ring for 60+% of the fight, and getting Brook near the ropes. Only like 10% of the fight was Brook doing that. At the point that GGG is cutting down the ring on Brook, there's really not much Brook can do. He doesn't have good angles to be attacking GGG. Brook was on the defensive because once they were near the ropes, GGG was just swinging wildly at Brook. If he wasn't defending, he could've been knocked out really quickly.

GGG said that in the first round he didn't think Brook was able to hurt him, so I think his plan to just attack, attack, attack without protecting himself from Brook punching back was very telling that Brook couldn't hurt him. He's a smart fighter. If he thought Brook could hurt him, he might've not been so wild with his approach to attacking Brook.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I was watching the movement of both fighters really closely. GGG was cutting down the ring for 60+% of the fight, and getting Brook near the ropes. Only like 10% of the fight was Brook doing that. At the point that GGG is cutting down the ring on Brook, there's really not much Brook can do. He doesn't have good angles to be attacking GGG. Brook was on the defensive because once they were near the ropes, GGG was just swinging wildly at Brook. If he wasn't defending, he could've been knocked out really quickly.

GGG said that in the first round he didn't think Brook was able to hurt him, so I think his plan to just attack, attack, attack without protecting himself from Brook punching back was very telling that Brook couldn't hurt him. He's a smart fighter. If he thought Brook could hurt him, he might've not been so wild with his approach to attacking Brook.

Yeah, which leaves about 40% of the fight where Brook wasn't on the defensive and therefore he wasn't on the defensive the whole fight.

zeppelin97

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
A good article on Golovkin's development.

http://www.si.com/boxing/2015/10/23/gennady-golovkin-the-next-boxing-superstar

As an amateur, Golovkin had been conditioned to punch primarily to score points. A "calm puncher," as Sanchez put it. In the U.S., the path to success is through exposure on HBO or Showtime, and neither network was interested in an Eastern European fighter who won by decision. Power took on added importance. That meant conditioning Golovkin to redistribute his weight from his back foot to his front.

Sanchez wanted Golovkin to become a predator. A power puncher's ability to cut the ring off is an essential skill........Fighting this way carries a price; to deliver big hits means being willing to absorb a few too. "I knew this," says Golovkin. "But to succeed in [the] U.S., I had to go for knockouts."

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Still regarded as one of the greatest boxing matches in history, a wildly entertaining fight, one that has a terrific narration described within this text. I was at this match at the Orange Bowl. The roar of the crowd was anything but tenuous but rather stifling in the dramatics and controversy that eventually followed. Pryor could hit with the best of them.

So, there it was: White-hat Arguello versus black-hat Pryor. The match's publicity was ready-made. More important, it was two great fighters meeting at the pinnacles of their careers.

And that's what made their first fight in 1982 maybe the greatest I ever saw. If it wasn't Manila, it was Miami.

That was where Pryor met Arguello, in the old stinky Orange Bowl, on Nov. 12, 1982, for Pryor's light welterweight title. The city was chosen because it was Arguello's adopted home, exiled as he was from his homeland by the Sandinista rebel occupation of Nicaragua. The crowd was all for him. Pryor again was fighting virtually for himself.

But, Arguello, the naturally lighter boxer, was attempting to step up in class and win his fourth belt. In Pryor, he met his ceiling.

As every boxing fan knows, contrasting styles always make for good fights. And you could not have found a starker contrast here – Pryor the constant aggressor flailing with roundhouse punches from every conceivable angle, often losing his balance from the sheer effort he put in them; Arguello always composed and balanced, counterpunching with the economy and efficiency of the craftsman he was.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/10/aaron_pryor_death_alexis_argue.html

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Can't believe the decision. I mean, some rounds were close, but you'd have to be biased to give EVERY single close round to Ward. Kovalev was the aggressor the whole fight & hit Ward harder & more often than Ward hit him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm glad I fell asleep before that. Bernard Hopkins is past.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
People tried to find drama in that fight that really wasn't there.

GGG won by at least a few points. Knocked down a guy who went into the fight like 15 pounds heavier. Of course he wasn't going to demolish Jacobs the way he did to Brook. Threw more punches and landed more, higher connection percentage. And it was a competitive fight because GGG didn't fight his best and Jacobs is a very good fighter. Respect to Jacobs for putting up a good effort, and respect to the judges for not trying to make this their fight.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
From what I have read on boxing forums, people are calling it a robbery. This might just be another case of a heavy underdog doing a lot better than expected. This is when the public automatically gives the underdog the win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->