All aboard the Travis Zajac bandwagon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
If you want to go back even further, Mel Bridgeman was selected #1 overall in 1975 out of the WCJHL which later became the BCHL.
I thought BCJHL--BCHL
WCJHL--WHL

ie wasn't Bridgman playing in what we would currently consider the Western Hockey League(when he was drafted, he also previously played in the BCJHL)?

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Ah, you could be right in fact. Actually, you are now that I think about it!

I do believe he played in the BCJHL anyways though ;)

2005 top prospect Gilbert Brule played a year in Quesnel of the BCHL too.

Kings86

Nov 21, 2002
Santa Monica
Visit site
PecaFan said:
I don't know very much about the BCHL. So who's been drafted out of there that's a star, or I've likely heard of?

I admit I lean to the side of the doubters. Against a lower level of talent, it's much easier for your talent to be amplified. Your shots that would normally be saved are goals. Your passes that would normally be blocked get through. The hits that would normally be avoided are real board shakers, etc.

Brady Murray was drafted last year in the 5th round by LA out of Salmon Arm (Kings coach Andy Murray owns the team) and played quite well as a freshman at North Dakota.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Gomez played for Tri-Cities in the WHL before he was drafted. Morrisonn two years on Kamloops before he was drafted. So neither was drafted directly out of the BCHL. So there were no question marks about them about competition level. Huml was drafted directly out of BCHL, at 59th overall.

It looks like most picks out of the BCHL level have been mid-round picks then.

Avery4Byng*

One thing is forsure, the BCHL produces more draft picks than any other "Tier 2 Junior A" league in all of Canada.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
X-SHARKIE said:
he's going to arguably the best hockey program in the NCAA and I agree with you.
I havent seen him play but from people who have, and what the reports say, sounds like the real deal.

you're are talkin about the University of Minnesota and Kris Chucko, right?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I am making the Zajac bust bandwagon just to be opposite of Mizral. I never seen him play nor heard a game on the radio but I have this feeling he will bust :) We will find out how good he is next year. If he even fills half of Parise's shoes I will be surprised.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Jay Thompson said:
To my knowledge, it's been a while since anyone has been drafted directly out of it.

However, Scott Gomez, Shaonne Morrisonn, and Ivan Huml are three young players off the top of my head who have played in the NHL since the BCHL. There are more than a few others actually.

I understand you guys thinking the BCHL is some loser league, but you really have to watch the hockey to appreciate how much better it has gotten. I would say the BCHL is getting very close to the NCAA.

PS: To the guy who said Sawada would go before Zajac or Chucko.. I watch a lot of Clippers games, and while Raymond had a good rookie season, Zajac is on another level. Sawada needs to become a lot more mature and disciplined before he's even going to be able to think about the NHL.
Those years Gomez played in the BCHL made him so much better then Morrison. If only Morrison was smart enough to take that route.

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
Oilers Chick said:
Well I've been reading some very good things about Zajac and Chucko and I am so looking forward to seeing them play this fall! :banana:
I hope they will be at the Silverbacks training camp....I'll be there ;).

I have been on the Zajac bandwagon for a while now. A while back I had him in the mid second round but I think he will go in the late first round, maybe at 20 or near that.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
tray said:
One thing is forsure, the BCHL produces more draft picks than any other "Tier 2 Junior A" league in all of Canada.

yeah, but the AJHL isn't all bad either.

the Saints alone have sent Pisani, Reinprecht, Comrie, Messier, Troy Murray

BCCHL inactive

Jay Thompson said:
To my knowledge, it's been a while since anyone has been drafted directly out of it.

For the last 4-5 years, the BCHL has had roughly a dozen players drafted by NHL teams every year. The only reason you don't hear about them for a while after is because most of them are committed to 4 years in the NCAA, thus are usually drafted in the mid-late rounds.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
I've been on thebandwagon for awhile. I say he's a easy top 10 pick had he played in the CHL...I have been suggesting Washington take him with #27 overall and getting eaten alive by others..but I think it would be very logical given the chance you can take having 3 first rounders...I dont see him making it past CHI or PIT..he wont make it to Washington's #33 and possibly not #29 they have as well.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'd like to see the Canucks use a pick on him. Big, young, top-end potential. Not much not to like there, and it's about time the Canucks didn't go for the freakin' safe pick.

~Canucklehead~

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
looooob said:
well we're going back a few years now, but didn't the Flames draft a fat kid named Brett Hull out of Penticton in the BC(J)HL at one point? didn't Kariya play several years later on Penticton also?

Not sure on Hull, but Kariya was drafted in 1993, after his freshman season at the University of Maine.

Zajac points are impressive, but I do think there are some legitimate questions
about his age relative to the rest of the BCHL. Still, I think somebody's going to take a chance on him in the first round and cross their fingers that he has a good first year at North Dakota.

CoolDude*

look at this:
Nenad Gajac started the 2003-2004 hockey season off player for Michigan State University. He played 4 games... got 0 points. So he decided to play the rest of the season in the BCHL because he wasnt getting any playing time in College. In 24 games with the Alberni Valley Bulldogs Gajic got 9 goals and 25 assists and he was completely dominate on the ice. So if a borderline 4th liner in college can become a star in the BCHL, let's see what a BCHL star can become in college.

silvergorilla

Jun 11, 2004
Zajac is the real deal

This kid is the real thing,has such soft hands and can score with the best of em.Will go in the first half of the first round....His linemate Chucko will have a outside chance to slip into the top 30 as well.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Van said:
For the last 4-5 years, the BCHL has had roughly a dozen players drafted by NHL teams every year. The only reason you don't hear about them for a while after is because most of them are committed to 4 years in the NCAA, thus are usually drafted in the mid-late rounds.

Sorry, I meant to add 'In the 1st round' there.

Yeah, I know, guys like Bitz and O'Byrne got drafted last year out of the BCHL.

In regards to where Zajac will go, it's almost a sure-bet for me that he goes in the first round at this point. Hell, I hear some teams like him in the top half of the draft.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
How good is this league he plays in, i guess it's BC junior A or somthing, whats does it compare to the WHL, and why wasn't him and his teammate Chucko in the WHL as it would be the most competive league for them to be in and they'd obvioulsy be good enough to play in it. Sorry i just don't understand his whole situation.

Edit- sorry i didn't read enough of the thread but i have a better understanding now, i'd still wish he would have gone to the whl, if i was gm it would make me feel more comfortable rather then the bchl which though according to some people here is a pretty good league i'd still be a bit drawn away from that factor, but still no dought a very skilled player a 1st round pick for sure. I really hope him and chucko go to the whl next year so we can see how they rack up aginst the top players there.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
TSN has Zajac going at #14!!!!! They have Korpikoski going at #16......My 3rd "target" if the Hawks can move 2 of their 4 2nd rounders for another first would be Blake Wheeler--but he'll likely be on the board much later than the other two...

SO if TSN is correct --the Hawks must try to deal with maybe LA for the #11 if they want to be sure either Zajac or Korpikoski is still on the board........its possible one or both could still be there at #18 (if they deal with MTL) or #19 (with CGY) but a lot more iffy.....perhaps if they like Wheeler...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->