Alfie's Shot at Niedermeyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
He looks at the clock, then wants to ice it in deep but F.Beauchemin closes the gap on him. I think he wanted his shot not to get blocked by F.B so he shot it wide but Niedermayer was standing in the shooting lane 15 feet behind Beachemin.

Don't forget Alfi got a split second to make the play, it's not like he was looking for Nieds all night.

I honestly think he didn't want to shoot at him.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
The Anaheim players know that the best revenge would be to win the Stanley Cup at home in the next game.

I can't see them doing anything to jeopardize that.

I hope not, but it is one thing for fans on a message board to say stuff, another for the media, and another for the players to be saying this type of stuff. Burke unfortunately has a reputation and has players that can do some damage...I just wouldn't take a chance especially if it becomes a blow out. I guess the other alternative would be not have Alfredsson play late in a blow out, but this is being blow out of porportion by all levels and the tempers are hot.

Air

Aug 4, 2004
Hamilton
icethis.blogspot.com
I was listening to the game on NHL radio through the end of the 2nd and I didn't hear *any* mention of this. The announcers were going on about how the linesman had to separate Alfie and Neider, but that's it. I was really surprised how big this has gotten.

I just hate Niedermayer foiling us again, now as a Duck and then as a Devil. I wonder what Alfie and Nieds were talking about.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
The whole thing is being over hyped to a ridiculous degree, and one who has done that is Pierre McGuire. He a was on Team 1200 this morning -you would think Alfie was an axe murderer. Some of the other guys like Hull are in the west and dont see Ottawa often. Even Cherry gave Alfie the benfit of the doubt. But Pierre was an ass, really fueling the fires.

I was watching the NBC feed when this happened and had to change it. I can't listen to the guy. Pronger pulls a flying Domi elbow on McAmmond and probably takes his only chance of ever playing the cup final away from him and Pierre says it was an accident and Pronger is just tall. Alfredson makes a dumb move and he's screaming on the TV about how inexcusable this was.
Then today he says the same on The Team saying a team leader and elite player should have control of his actions. For some reason the morons on the team don’t point out the hypocrisy in this. Needless to say I’ve had it with Pierre’s holier then though attitude. The man’s TV showboating apparently is always right and the humble Pierre who used to quench our hockey thirst has grown a massive ego from his status.

BBB

Feb 3, 2004
I would be curious to here from Alfie what he was thinking on the play.

If he wanted to hurt someone, he would have shot it at the ANA guy closest to him (Beauch?). From my memeory Alfie was just inside the blue line and Neid. was just on the other side of the red line, with that distance I can't see how it could be that dangerous as Neid just knowcked it down. Probably Alfie was just trying to stir the pot.

It is not as though ANA hasn't had any cheap shots in the series ( Pronger, Beauch elbow on Comrie, Beauch spear on Neil).

jdmef8vtec*

a) yes it was intentional, you can make all the excuses in the world, just lucky he wasnt hurt.
b)plain stupid cause it gave Anaheim a rallying point in between periods, and maybe the last straw to sink the ship for Ottawa

Silvercup Returns

King Karlsson
Jul 28, 2005
Ottawa
a) yes it was intentional, you can make all the excuses in the world, just lucky he wasnt hurt.
b)plain stupid cause it gave Anaheim a rallying point in between periods, and maybe the last straw to sink the ship for Ottawa

Ducks didn't need a rallying point, the Sens stopped playing before the incident.

SaxPlayer

Apr 20, 2007
Ottawa
He looks at the clock, then wants to ice it in deep but F.Beauchemin closes the gap on him. I think he wanted his shot not to get blocked by F.B so he shot it wide but Niedermayer was standing in the shooting lane 15 feet behind Beachemin.

Don't forget Alfi got a split second to make the play, it's not like he was looking for Nieds all night.

I'm a huge Sens fan, and an ever bigger fan of Alfie, but I can't believe anyone could watch that play last night and doubt for a second that Alfie was targeting Neidermayer. With a second left on the clock, why not simply flip the puck into the other end? A slapshot was definitely not required, and in fact would only make retrieval easier along the boards if his only intent was to clear the puck.

The repositioning and reloading of the slapshot could only mean that it was intentional, and I lost a lot of respect for Alfie in that second. If he had a problem with Neids, why not man up and go chin to chin with him. Just jaw at him if you don't actually want to fight, but shooting a puck directly at him was bush league at best.

And it's not like Alfie helped the Sens in any way with this. The ref had a long chat with Alfie by the bench at the start of the third period, and you could see that Alfie didn't like what he was hearing. I'm guessing the conversation went something like "I know what you did, and you're nuts if you think you're getting any calls this period." There were some obvious infractions (like the slash on Corvo that set up a mini-breakaway) that weren't called, and I would not be surprised at all if the refs put their whistles in their pockets largely because of this incident.

I am surprised to hear the general level of support for Alfie (or unwillingness to accept blame) being shown by the fans here. I'm still a fan of Alfie, but he blew it on this one.

GOAT

Dec 5, 2006
Ottawa
I'm a huge Sens fan, and an ever bigger fan of Alfie, but I can't believe anyone could watch that play last night and doubt for a second that Alfie was targeting Neidermayer. With a second left on the clock, why not simply flip the puck into the other end? A slapshot was definitely not required, and in fact would only make retrieval easier along the boards if his only intent was to clear the puck.

The repositioning and reloading of the slapshot could only mean that it was intentional, and I lost a lot of respect for Alfie in that second. If he had a problem with Neids, why not man up and go chin to chin with him. Just jaw at him if you don't actually want to fight, but shooting a puck directly at him was bush league at best.

And it's not like Alfie helped the Sens in any way with this. The ref had a long chat with Alfie by the bench at the start of the third period, and you could see that Alfie didn't like what he was hearing. I'm guessing the conversation went something like "I know what you did, and you're nuts if you think you're getting any calls this period." There were some obvious infractions (like the slash on Corvo that set up a mini-breakaway) that weren't called, and I would not be surprised at all if the refs put their whistles in their pockets largely because of this incident.

I am surprised to hear the general level of support for Alfie (or unwillingness to accept blame) being shown by the fans here. I'm still a fan of Alfie, but he blew it on this one.

I get the feeling they wouldn't have gotten any calls anyway. I think Alfie knew this. :sarcasm:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAuj_AMnMGM

Watch the second replay. Not positive it goes off his chest but there's no question it's a direct hit.

The most notable thing about that is the over the top comentary-Pierre McGuire, attention *****.

It does not in my opinion, affect Daniel Alfredsson's reputation, but that ass McGuire.

Here is the quote from Steve Simmons who attacks Alfie throuought the aritcle.

Daniel Alfredsson stopped, aimed and fired in the direction of Scott Niedermayer, missing the defenceman, but possibly killing his Ottawa Senators in the process.

This is like Carlyle blaming Neil for a hit that didnt connect-a shot that didnt hit the player. Either a shot acoross the bows saying keep your head up - or a mistake.

You would think he put Neidermeyer in the hospital for life.

This is even more proof that this is much ado about nothing.But it sure brought out all the Alfie-haters.

McGuire knows more about Alfie than the NBC announcers and for him to go ahead full bore and fuel the flames rather than to provide a balanced view is just in keeping with his behavior all playoffs, pimping first the Penguins then the Sabres and now the Ducks.He works for NBC and they are firmly on the Ducks bandwagon and eager to take the spotlight off Pronger's dirty play.

Daniel Alfredsson remains what he has always been a man with integrity and class, Pierre McGuire, not so much.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Unfortunately I was listening to Sirius NHL live and heard something that concerns me about the next game. They were talking about the Alfredsson incident, and I will preface that while not happy what he did, I don't think it should be a suspension. They were saying that he should be suspended for the rest of the series. They also indicated that they talked to some of the healthy scratches i.e., Pronger, et al. and they had talked about how this incident won't be forgotten and hinted at retribution. But they were saying that if Anaheim was up 5-0 in the game or the Senators were that action would be taken against Alfredsson. Now, I started thinking about the Steve Moore incident and I hope to goodness no one does something stupid against Alfredsson. However, Burke is the common denominator from the Canuck incident and I hope he reels in his guys. Given the pulse is quite hot and given that the fourth line (without McAmmond most likely wouldn't be playing) wasn't playing much I would put out McGratton only to protect Alfredsson in case of a blow out. As much as some may not agree with Alfredsson actions I would hate to have a serious injury hamper anything for next year.

I don't like hearing the comments from players themselves and the media is making this bigger and bigger...this worries me.
I doubt you'll have anything to worry about this series. Although Carlyle's postgame statement might be worrying from your point of view. He said "Players have long memories."

To me that means next season, or whenever we play next. Although who knows when that'll be with the NHL's scheduling. They'll probably just send someone out to challenge him to a fight.

If he fights, whatever the outcome, the incident will be completely over with. If he turtles, we'll get a penalty and an instigator, but the incident will likely also be over with. I hope he doesn't run away... because that's where Moore-like incidents happen. I just hope we don't do anything stupid if that's the case.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Actually, Moore fought Matt Cooke but the Canucks wanted him to fight Brookbank or whoever their goon was at the time.

It's not enough to fight.

Apparently you have to have the crap kicked out of you by someone much bigger.

Alfredsson can take care of himself. I'm not overly worried.

obobo23 said:
I hope he doesn't run away... because that's where Moore-like incidents happen.

And I guess it was only a matter of time before Alfredsson=Bertuzzi.

Congratulations on being the first to make that particular argument.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Actually, Moore fought Matt Cooke but the Canucks wanted him to fight Brookbank or whoever their goon was at the time.
Ah, I never really watched all that led up to it. I'm basicaly only remembering how Bertuzzi keeps chasing him and wanting to go that shift. My mistake.

GOAT

Dec 5, 2006
Ottawa
Rulebook says it's a class 2, 10-game offense if you shoot a puck like that at a ref.

BUT, since it's Captain Sinning Girl, the same guy that can pick the top corner of the goal at will, firing at a guy with a sore foot, (imagine if it had cracked off his ankle and broken a bone?).....

I guess it's just good hockey. Kind of like turning a skate and flexing a muscle to purposely move the puck just before the good swift kick, or turning an upper arm to slow up a passing midget with a history of concussions.

And why doesn't the league actually do something about the armor on the shoulders and elbows (neither of which actually hit Deano by the way) or why don't they do something to improve the quality of the salad spinners that the league has everyone wear?

1. Neidermayer is not a ref.
2. Neidermayer was in the direction of the goal.

Having a history of concussions does not help you get knocked out, an outward jab (turning? no...) of an elbow to the side of the head does.

Concussions are usually caused by movement of the brain impacting on the inside of the skull, or tearing tissue away from the inside of the skull. In this case, if a concussion did actually occur, I doubt the spinners are to blame, as Dean's head was accelerated very quickly.

wjag

Apr 10, 2007
Maryland
1. Anyone who can conclude it wasn't a deliberate act is just deluding themselves. He looked up at the clock, adjusted his position and then rocketed a shot at him. The only thing that was required was a soft dump in to the corner to kill the clock. The fact that it was a center ice where everyone can see only made it seem more blatant.

2. Was it stupid? I don't honestly know. It was designed for one thing and one thing only. That was to deliver a message. It isn't any worse than forechecking someone into the boards when they aren't at the boards, or elbowing someone in the face, or running into the goalie.

3. My speculation was that he was getting even for something, plain and simple.

4. Did it change the momentum of the game. Absolutely not. The second period changed the momentum in the game.

5. Why did he do it? Who knows, but my father always said not to let someone rent space in your head. As soon as you do, you've lost. It's clear that Nieds was in Alfie's head.

6. Will it be a footnote in this series, absolutely.

dpw

Jul 29, 2004

Actually, when i look at the replay, I've come to agree with you here.

I take back what I said, I dnt think he was aiming for Niedermayer.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
And I guess it was only a matter of time before Alfredsson=Bertuzzi.

Congratulations on being the first to make that particular argument.

That's not anywhere near what I was trying to say. I'm saying I'm hopping nothing happens to Alfredsson like what happened to Moore. As in the Ducks go too far to respond.

I liked Alfie before the incident. Now I respect him a little less. But mainly this incident just seems to me like an extremely stupid emotional snap. For some reason he snapped and intentionally, but not necessarily maliciously, shot it at Niedermayer.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Neidermeyer WAS NOT in between the goal and Afredsson! You are blinded by your love of team. Step back. Neids was between the boards and the center circle, closer to the face-off dot near the blueline!

That blindness makes the rest of your arguement needless. I'm just a hockey fan with no team in the running, and when 99% of the league's fans and media saw the play and call it what it was, well, it says what it says.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Having seen the reply, surprised.

Glad he did it anything to get a mental edge. Blah blah blah unsportsmanlike blah blah. I have seen it done so many times at other levels its a good play. He is just trying to get Niedermayer going.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Brian Burke may be a fool for claiming he made this team to fight and be aggressive, but the Ducks have been nothing but class this series.

No one on the Ducks pressed the excuse button for Pronger and no one has taken swings at players (Alfredsson on Moen), or shot pucks at players, or taken swan dives all over the ice. (Congrats Mrs. Neil....you were more of a man during childbirth than your husband was rolling up in a fetal position last night)...

The Alfredsson ordeal would be over if all the whining apologists and history re-writes weren't going on now. Revenge will be carrying the Cup around another sunbelt state for a year. The best way to get in Ottawa's craw is when there is nothing more than a victory in game 5. The only cheap play will be Neil, Fisher, and Heatley's famous slash to the back of the legs. Mark it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brian Burke may be a fool for claiming he made this team to fight and be aggressive, but the Ducks have been nothing but class this series.

No one on the Ducks pressed the excuse button for Pronger and no one has taken swings at players (Alfredsson on Moen), or shot pucks at players, or taken swan dives all over the ice. (Congrats Mrs. Neil....you were more of a man during childbirth than your husband was rolling up in a fetal position last night)...

The Alfredsson ordeal would be over if all the whining apologists and history re-writes weren't going on now. Revenge will be carrying the Cup around another sunbelt state for a year. The best way to get in Ottawa's craw is when there is nothing more than a victory in game 5. The only cheap play will be Neil, Fisher, and Heatley's famous slash to the back of the legs. Mark it.

You really represent the "nothing but class" ducks really well. I hope your 45 fans are happy that they win the cup.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site

No one on the Ducks pressed the excuse button for Pronger and no one has taken swings at players (Alfredsson on Moen)

Beauchemin elbowing Comrie in the face doesn't count I guess?

, or shot pucks at players, or taken swan dives all over the ice. (Congrats Mrs. Neil....you were more of a man during childbirth than your husband was rolling up in a fetal position last night)...

Corey Perry doesn't dive? I guess he embellishes?

Lemme guess, Sabres fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad