Alfie's Shot at Niedermeyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokioduck

May 31, 2007
I was curious whta you guys thought about Alf's play at the end of 2nd period.
As a fan, were you surprised, furious or did you think that was an accident?

btw, I'm a duck fan and does not really like....well, let me say this, Pronger is not my favroite player.
He surely is one of the best players, but the main reason why I like having Pronger on Duck is that they dont have to play against a team with Pronger ;p

So...again, i was wondering how you the ottawa fans felt on the play tonight.

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
I was at the game, I didn't really see what happened. I was chanting Alfie's name though.

After seeing the replay, I'm inclined to think it's really not as big of a deal as people are trying to make it, but I just don't understand why he did it, intentional or not. I don't think it's "classless" or "gutless" or "dirty" as people have been calling it, more like... weird.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
It looked really bad to me. Stupid bad. Something only a real J.O. would do. I want to see it again once the initial shock wears off though...

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
I would be very surprised if it was intentional. This would be very "out of character" for him.

puckhead1213

Apr 25, 2006
Buffalo
I would be very surprised if it was intentional. This would be very "out of character" for him.

Then what was the intention? Was he trying to dump it in as time expired? He was under no pressure to do anything with the puck. He had choices to make to let time expire but instead he chose to rifle it at Niedermayer. Maybe he had a reason? Doesn't seem like something he would do. But he did.

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
I'm a sens fan and i think the leauge should review it.

I think he should get a game for it.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
If Ottawa was getting trounced 5-0 and he took that shot, then yeah, I could at least understand that he was frustrated and wanted to start something. But Ottawa had just tied the game and had all kinds of momentum, why we would purposely do that? Again, if he shot it on Pronger I'd understand but Niedermayer? It really doesn't make any sense, that's why I doubt he did it on purpose.

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
If Ottawa was getting trounced 5-0 and he took that shot, then yeah, I could at least understand that he was frustrated and wanted to start something. But Ottawa had just tied the game and had all kinds of momentum, why we would purposely do that? Again, if he shot it on Pronger I'd understand but Niedermayer? It really doesn't make any sense, that's why I doubt he did it on purpose.

Well one thing to remember these 2 dont like each other ever since the 98 series.

Last edited:

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
It was stupid but there was no harm done.

Other then Alfredsson's reputation.

I like Alfie, however he did drop a notch on the old respect meter for me after that. Even in the hype of all this glory he's been getting these PO's, he still finds a way to make a A$$ out of himself and organization by doing/saying something stupid. He really embarrasses/p****** me off sometimes.

Alfresson has a brain that fart's a little too much IMO.

utah

Apr 12, 2006
I thought it was a heck of a shot....

but Niedermeyer made a great save.

puckhead1213

Apr 25, 2006
Buffalo
Something had to have happened to provoke this type of behavior. Unless I'm missing something I don't think this type of behavior is something Alfie displays regularly. And Scotty's reaction tells me he knew he deserved it.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Meh, he's been villified for years for being a playoff choker.

After coming up huge in this post-season, the haters were just waiting for something else.

I agree...not a smart move but he will be villified for something and it give people something to talk about. To me at least it shows he cares, not the best way to show it but he was frustrated and might have cost them the game but he cares and has accomplished more this year than any other person.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Jesus Christ, all this suspension and league review talk is pure garbage. Remember, Pronger got 1 GAME, 1 FREAKING GAME, for a repeat offence that knocked someone UNCONSCIOUS. Its going to take a hell of a lot for Campbell to justify suspending someone on Ottawa.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Something had to have happened to provoke this type of behavior. Unless I'm missing something I don't think this type of behavior is something Alfie displays regularly. And Scotty's reaction tells me he knew he deserved it.

I'm not really going to speculate at this point.

No one really deserves to have a puck shot at them unless they're blocking a shot or they're a goalie.

But you're right in that Alfie isn't really known for this kind of behaviour, despite what the lynch mobs are saying.

ladybugblue said:
but he was frustrated and might have cost them the game

What cost them the game was Chris Phillips' skate getting blown, Redden jumping on the ice in the bad position, Volchenkov playing the shooter instead of the passer on a 2 on 1 and Emery taking himself out of the net.

Then what cost them the game was not scoring in the ample time that was left after that play.

Not to mention, failing to score on 2 fairly lengthy 4 on 3 opportunities and only scoring 1 goal in a one-sided 1st period.

Let's not end up guilty of adding to the mythology.

Jaysfanatic*

The thing about Scotty Niedermayer is that he may not look like it, but dude has a mean streak so I wouldn't be surprised if he did something to anger Alfie, it's usually subtle but Nieder just has that way about him. Alfredsson doesn't seem like the type who would do that unless frustrated.......that being said you take it out by upstaging him and winning, not a meaningless shot at a player that'll only fire up the other team it was stupid and childish on the part of Alfie .

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
If it wasn't intentional, Alfie needs to be more careful.

If it was intentional, it wasn't a smart thing to do, but it had to have been provoked.

SensFanInSTL

May 17, 2007
St. Louis
When I saw the shot (and yes, it was intentional), I thought that:

a) he was frustrated because the momentum had come back and the period had ended thus giving time for Anaheim to regroup or;
b) Anaheim had regained their composure in the second and he wanted them to come out in the third and "lose control" thus leading to more Anaheim penalties.

Unfortunately, it killed any momentum they would have had going into the third and Anaheim kept their emotions in check. Notice that no one went after Alfie in the third. In other words, they didn't "bite."

ThePylon

Aug 27, 2004
I don't understand it...

I'll get harrassed for this, and it hurts me to say it, because I think Alfie's awesome... but I do think it was intentional - and I just don't understand Whiskey Tango Foxtrot he was thinking...

He's never been fairly judged in the media - the stick throwing thing? Sundin laughed right after it, and defended Alfie (I think it was feakin hilarious)... the "Tucker incident" (along with the miraculous recovery) - part of the game, and missed by the refs... other than that .. what... What makes him anything but a classy, gritty, hard-working leader?

and then this...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was he thinking here?!!?

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Ah come on...Neidermayer is one of the dirtiest little ****'* in the league...too bad Alfie didn't put it off his teeth.

Go watch him play live and see the stick work he does as the play moves away or up the ice. He was notorious in when he played for the Devils...always whacking guys in the back of the knee's and gouging ribs...I'm surprised someone hasn't knocked him cold for all the crap he pulls.

I also remember his brother Rob getting his clock cleaned and having concussion problems when he first came into the league and he whined to the press about guys hitting too hard....call the whambulance Robbie....:p:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad