Waived: Alexey Marchenko on waivers

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
and now they have a contract spot to go after a guy like Butcher.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Hopefully marincin and fehr mutually agree to leave, even though they won't go to Russia.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Still not needed we need a legitimate partner for Reilly

we need any defensive help we can get, especially if it costs nothing

should the leafs have not taken liljegren because he isnt a top pairing dman right now? of course not

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

should the leafs have not taken liljegren because he isnt a top pairing dman right now? of course not

That's a little different that kid was projected top 5 and then got Mono

This situation is not the same, not even close

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I'm guessing mutual and he's signing in khl . Leafs won't care he was likely just dead cap space

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Dont lie... We could have used veseys 27 points in 80 games

Its his rookie season, from what i understand he was playing mainly third line minutes. I will take him and his size and cheap contract over most of our small skilled players not named Marner.

Look was he over hyped sure but getting a free asset that can put it in the net and will likely only get better is something i can live with.

From wha I understand about Butcher is that he is not a great skater and doesn't project to be all that great. Given the fact we need contract spaces IMO, I'd pass.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

[MOD] You realize that there are like 10 (I guess 9 now) NHL ready or near ready D in the Org, right?

People act like the Leafs defense is AHL quality and any NHL D would help. Butcher most likely goes the same route of needing AHL time where there is already a log jam of development and he most likely goes to the ECHL.

The other poster was right, we need a top pairing D. We in no way, shape or form need to address the 2nd pairing, bottom pairing, or depth pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

I think this is the 1 pm media announcement he spoke of. Return to the KHL, just what everyone expected.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
[MOD] You realize that there are like 10 (I guess 9 now) NHL ready or near ready D in the Org, right?

People act like the Leafs defense is AHL quality and any NHL D would help. Butcher most likely goes the same route of needing AHL time where there is already a log jam of development and he most likely goes to the ECHL.

The other poster was right, we need a top pairing D. We in no way, shape or form need to address the 2nd pairing, bottom pairing, or depth pieces.

I don't really agree but I get what you're saying. The leafs D deficiency has been overblown but at this point in the teams development there's a lot of flux on the backend and really spots #4 through #8 are up for grabs. Hainsey factors in somewhere, other than that theres a bunch of young guys fighting for spots and internal competition is going to be key in getting the best out of these players. If Butcher brings something unique to the group than why wouldn't you add him to the mix and see which 2 or 3 players come through.

Last edited by a moderator:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Why would he get waived in the middle of August? That's just weird.

because

cropped_GettyImages-665956346.jpg

that

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Man, wasn't this the kid that was suppose to be a nice add; because Babs would have known something and they wouldn't have grabbed him otherwise... and the Leafs made out like bandits with a kid who'd be a good bottom pairing guy?

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I dont understand this. We keep Marincin who can't even spell hockey, probably the worst player not just d man, on the leafs. But waive Marchenko ? And the timing ?

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
I dont understand this. We keep Marincin who can't even spell hockey, probably the worst player not just d man, on the leafs. But waive Marchenko ? And the timing ?

They dont have the option to remove Marincin completely off their roster like they do with Marchenko. He wants to go to Russia and the Leafs will gladly take the cap space and, maybe more importantly right now, the roster/contract spot (helps with the 50 contract limit).

Also, hes not a good dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad