Alexei Mikhnov

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Good God, look at the wingspan on that mammoth... he carries a freakin redwood treebranch for a stick... I agree that he looks pretty good in this video.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
youd think his stats would be better tho 22 points/40 games... not bad but youd expect a bit more.

He'll be no Malkin, but those numbers translate ok to the NHL - I think by and large people score a little more per game when making the move to the NHL.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Sorry don't take it the wrong way. There just is too many datsyuk's out there that dissapear in the playoffs(thorton too I might add). I don't hate russian players, I just don't trust them because of the culture shock that usually makes them dissapear.

We had Samsonov being benched during the finals so I have my reasons. You have to be tough and you have to be able to take a puck in the face and get a root canal in the locker room and come out and assist on the winning goal in OT like Smyth did.

Russians kick *** during the regular season. But dissapear in the playoffs. But I like this guy, what he does is up to him. He could make a crapload of cash, or just float.

Oh good! More biggotry in the form of fictitious ethnic stereotyping! Please do share some more of your rivoting insights? Are we generally soft as well? Perhaps cancers in the locker room? I beseech you, do go on.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
It's not like all canadians are "heart and soul" players, either. All nationalities have players who are floaters that disappear in the playoffs.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's not like all canadians are "heart and soul" players, either. All nationalities have players who are floaters that disappear in the playoffs.

Exacly, people forget that Sean Avery is Canadian, and no one would call him a 'heart and soul' player or even an honourable player

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I just saw the video for the first time and thanked god that he plays in the Western Conference so he will be far far away from the Devils.

Big, fast, and has amazing hands. Great showing at the WC against some pretty good squads.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Oh good! More biggotry in the form of fictitious ethnic stereotyping! Please do share some more of your rivoting insights? Are we generally soft as well? Perhaps cancers in the locker room? I beseech you, do go on.

Don't worry Slitty, this opinion isn't shared by everyone. Many skilled players dissappear in the post-season. For every Datsyuk, there is a Vishnevski or Ulanov who is as tough as nails. For every Joe Thornton there is a Fernando Pisani, etc. Konstantinov was one of my favorites, no one could call him soft. I really hope that we can get Alexei over this year, I have been a fan of his selection since 2000, yet until this video I have never seen him play. He looks to be a great young player after seeing this video.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada

do you really want to get into it? i'll give you 2 guesses if they are generally soft or not:sarcasm:

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
I just saw the video for the first time and thanked god that he plays in the Western Conference so he will be far far away from the Devils.

Big, fast, and has amazing hands. Great showing at the WC against some pretty good squads.

I hope he turns out to be something special... but for most of us North Americans this is the first we've seen of him, and I'm not sure you can get much of a read on a guy from watching a 76 second highlight reel.

I think the most exciting news for Oiler fans is that Alexei Mikhnov is a real, live hockey player. Some of us were starting to wonder if Alexei Mikhnov was the new Taro Tsujimoto.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
do you really want to get into it? i'll give you 2 guesses if they are generally soft or not:sarcasm:

Although this might not be the best place for it, yeah, I wouldn't mind getting into it. Lets take a sample of Russian players and analyze their "softness" or rather toughness, shall we? Okay, something that you would likely be firmiliar with... how about the 2006 Olympic team (everyone that actually played a game or more).

A. Markov -not soft
Gonchar -soft
Volchenkov -the antithesis of soft
Tyutin - not soft
D. Markov -the antithesis of soft
Kasparitis -the antithesis of soft
Vishnevsky -the antithesis of soft
Zhukov -the antithesis of soft
Ovechkin -the antithesis of soft
Datsyuk -not physical, but not really soft
Kovalev -not physical, but is a big strong guy that thrives in high traffic
Malkin - not soft
Kovalchuk - not soft
Sushinsky -small, but is known for his gritty work in the corners
Kharitonov -soft
Yashin -doesn't use his size, but not soft persay
Kozlov -doesn't use his size, but not soft persay
Korolyuk - not soft
Taratukhin -the antithesis of soft
Afinogenov - softish, but also has a temper
Frolov - not soft
Nepriayev -the antithesis of soft
Nabokov - goalie
Sokolov - goalie
Bryzgalov - goalie

Seriously now, would you call this team soft? Was it softer than other teams in the competition? Was it considerably softer than Canada's team?

Last edited:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Although this might not be the best place for it, yeah, I wouldn't mind getting into it. Lets take a sample of Russian players and analyze their "softness" or rather toughness, shall we? Okay, something that you would likely be firmiliar with... how about the 2006 Olympic team (everyone that actually played a game or more).

A. Markov -not soft
Gonchar -soft
Volchenkov -the antithesis of soft
Tyutin - not soft
D. Markov -the antithesis of soft
Kasparitis -the antithesis of soft
Vishnevsky -the antithesis of soft
Zhukov -the antithesis of soft
Ovechkin -the antithesis of soft
Datsyuk -not physical, but not really soft
Kovalev -not physical, but is a big strong guy that thrives in high traffic
Malkin - not soft
Kovalchuk - not soft
Sushinsky -small, but is known for his gritty work in the corners
Kharitonov -soft
Yashin -doesn't use his size, but not soft persay
Kozlov -doesn't use his size, but not soft persay
Korolyuk - not soft
Taratukhin -the antithesis of soft
Afinogenov - softish, but also has a temper
Frolov - not soft
Nepriayev -the antithesis of soft
Nabokov - goalie
Sokolov - goalie
Bryzgalov - goalie

Seriously now, would you call this team soft? Was it softer than other teams in the competition? Was it considerably softer than Canada's team?

Lol Kozlov plays like the biggest pansy ever. The guy has all the skill in the world and is great but he is soft. I saw him play for years in Floirda, every single game. Could have been one of the best players in the NHL had he gotten it all together.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002

You don't have to prove anything to us. Everything was asked and answered in 1972. Russian hockey is outstanding.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I hope this mikhnov guy is the real deal, it would be so awesome..... CANT wate!

off-topic: Hey slitty did you ever see the movie Nightwatch. I've got a russain friend who said it was like the greatest russian movie ever made, but I gotta be honest, I had no idea what was going on, and the main character seemed kinda like a panzy to me. He also said you had to read the books or you wouldn't know what was going on. :dunno: It was too weird for me I guess, but the graphics were cool

crashd

Jan 20, 2005
No. He hardly knew a word when he came to North America.

I don't mean to come across wrong, but during his interviews at the NHL Central Scouting combine in Toronto in his draft year, he conducted a lot of his own interviews, without an interpretor and showed a good knowledge and use of the English language as well as some use of humour already.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Ovechkin had been using an American tutor since at least 2003.

With that said, can we put the "Russians (or Canadians or Americans) are weak and always bust, well not always just always in the playoffs" b.s. aside and limit posts to ALEXEI MIKNOV please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad