Alexei Cherepanov

Anderson8

Jul 24, 2006
What NHL team is the most likely to pick Cherepanov with their pick and if you were the GM would you pick Cherepanov with the 1st overall selection or 2nd and so on.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I would take Cherepanov with the 2nd or 3rd pick. I think Kane, Alzner, Esposito, and Cherepanov could all go top 3.

AgentNaslund*

have anyone seenthis guy play before making any comments? I hear em say, that Patrick Kane is the best player, but doubt they even saw em for 2 games.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I would take Cherepanov with the 2nd or 3rd pick. I think Kane, Alzner, Esposito, and Cherepanov could all go top 3.

what is the reason you still think esposito could end up in the top 3. im not sure but i dont think he is even in my top 10 anymore.

cherepanov will be picked #1 or 2 imo. i think cherepanov is the best player in the draft, but Kane isn't that far behind and he could end up as the #1 selection aswell, but for now my money is on cherepanov.

CapsChemist

Mar 26, 2006
State College
DA Philly! Ozhe para shto za unas egral Ruski parin!

If Clarke has any say left with the Flyers Cherepanov wont get anywhere near Philly.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I know Cherepanov doesn't have the "elite" skills of Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk...but how does he compare with the "second tier" of Russian youngsters like Frolov, Semin and Zherdev?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

well you can make a good case for both zherdev and semin as they have a pretty similar playing style, but he is nothing like frolov. frolov is more of a playmaker while semin, zherdev and cherepanov are goal scorers with better skating and deking then frolov.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
well you can make a good case for both zherdev and semin as they have a pretty similar playing style, but he is nothing like frolov. frolov is more of a playmaker while semin, zherdev and cherepanov are goal scorers with better skating and deking then frolov.
Frolov is top 10 in goals in the NHL right now.... Not sure how Semin/Zherdev are better when he is ahead of both in goals scored.

FuTMaR*

frolov is 5 goals off nhl lead...

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
ehm.. Cherepanov's best asset is probably his passing... i would say the situation where he is at his best at the moment is finding the man open from behind the net. His play from behind the net is something quite special for an 18yrs old, i think you have to go back some years to find a player so lethal from there (against men too) at such a young age.
(yeah, i guess Crosby's name would instanctly surface.. however Sid rarely stays put back there waiting..it looks to me like he has a more dynamic way of generating the play from there..
*note: so i don't even like to compare them in that particular situation; and of course i'm by any means doing that as players overall )

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Frolov is top 10 in goals in the NHL right now.... Not sure how Semin/Zherdev are better when he is ahead of both in goals scored.

Frolov is tied with Semin in goals, both of them have 29, and Semin has played 5 less games. I wouldn't say Frolov is ahead of Semin in goals at all. Semin is a better skater, too.

Zherdev is nowhere near the all-around player that Frolov is due to his poor work ethic and lack of effort in games, but it's undeniable that he is a better skater and is more highly skilled than Frolov.

Last edited:

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
will the non-transfer agreement with russia hinder his chance at #1?

I think that´s the key-question. If Kane and Cherepanov (maybe others too) are head to head at draft day, i´m almost sure that Cherepanov will not be the 1st overall! The probability of playing in the NHL is one of the biggest factors when teams make their draft-lists and with Cherepanov´s passport alone this probability will drop for a few %.

SakicAllStar

Jan 13, 2007
Canada
I know Cherepanov doesn't have the "elite" skills of Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk...but how does he compare with the "second tier" of Russian youngsters like Frolov, Semin and Zherdev?

Actually, at age 17, Cherepanov has more points in the Russian league then Malkin and Ovechkin did. Im not saying he's as good as them, but he can compete (from what I hear) but ive only seen him play once.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
redwingsfan said:

I don't think he said anything about Semin or Zherdev being better goalscorers. He was just saying that Frolov's more of a playmaker and that they are better skaters and dekers (which is true). I would also add that both Semin and Zherdev have significantly better shots than Frolov, but Frolov's hockey sense makes him a better overall goalscorer than either of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->