Alexei Cherepanov vs. Alexander Semin

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm trying to get an idea of just how good of a prospect Cherepanov is. I figured a good way to do so would be to compare him to a fellow young Russian winger who is having great success in the NHL right now in Alexander Semin and is probably a half step below (or at least was thought of that way) the top Russian's like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and Malkin when they were drafted.

How would you compare the skills that these two have? How does Cherepanov stack up in categories like speed, scoring ability, playmaking ability, hockey IQ, those types of things? I know that Cherepanov has better numbers at 17 then just about any of those guys, but obviously that doesn't automatically translate to the NHL. Could Cherepanov has the upside that Semin has and is displaying in the league right now?

Thanks for any opinions in advance and don't insult me too much if the comparison is unwarranted and totally off-base.

msky

Dec 12, 2006
Semin is much better skater (speed, acceleration, balance), Cherepanov is much better playmaker (passing, vision) and i think he is more C, than RW. And shot. I dont know, but i think Semin had one of the best shot in the world, and its very hard to compare with 18-year old guy (18 already :)). But Cherepanov had nice shot too.
Cherepanov not strong on skates and its very bad, but.. i think he can progress, if he stay in Russia.
what about his playmaking skills, some his assists in WJC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3wJAJKx1us , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M9EGQpBKZM

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Very bad comparison, Imo. Cherepanov's style reminds me Sakic or Crosby - there are few nifty passes in every game which provide good scoring opportunities for his partners and also he creates scoring opportunities for himself.
I would say he uses his partners a lot better than other our young stars when they were younger. Cherepanov will not score with wrist shot from blue line a-la Semin but he will score a lot because of hockey sense and understanding the game. Also, puck on his stick moves very fast, this separates him from other prospects in my opinion and it's almost impossible to predict his moves.
While he is not physical at all he plays a lot more in traffic areas than Malkin, Semin or Ovechkin when they were 17 years old and even older. His success is not based on his body strength right now because he runs faster or shots quicker or he is 6'5 with tons of muscles. He is good because he has head on his shoulders. When he will add some muscles and become a bit quicker he will be a lot more dangerous player because right now he understands the game but can't execute few things because he is not physical enough to do it.

Last edited:

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like Cherepanov would be closer to a prospect like Backstrom then a goal scoring winger like Semin. I know it's tough to say because Semin is having so much NHL success righ tnow, but do you think Cherepanov's upside could match or surpass Semin?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
In Semin's first year in the league he was more of a passer than a scorer. I think coming into this season most caps fans figured it would be the same but most are surprised at how dominating a shot semin has now and with the dearth of talent the caps have on the 2nd scoring line he is thinking shoot first most of the time. If the caps can get some more skill on his line we'll see the assist start to mount up more than the goals, IMO.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I know it's tough to say because Semin is having so much NHL success righ tnow, but do you think Cherepanov's upside could match or surpass Semin?
Too much different "if.." I can say one thing. This season (he just turned 18) Cherepanov plays a lot more pro-oriented game and looks a lot better than 17 years old Malkin and Semin .. and on the same *skill* level as Ovechkin (<- I said skill, read careful ;) ). Ovechkin was very good but he also has and had tank-like body as a very good addition to his skillset and this is why he was noted so early and hyped so much. It helped him to separate from another juniors but Cherepanov doens't look like a train on skates and this is why a lot, including me, still have a bit of doubts about him and his NHL future.

Last edited:

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Semin is much better skater (speed, acceleration, balance), Cherepanov is much better playmaker (passing, vision) and i think he is more C, than RW. And shot. I dont know, but i think Semin had one of the best shot in the world, and its very hard to compare with 18-year old guy (18 already :)). But Cherepanov had nice shot too.
Cherepanov not strong on skates and its very bad, but.. i think he can progress, if he stay in Russia.
what about his playmaking skills, some his assists in WJC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3wJAJKx1us , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M9EGQpBKZM

really, to say he is a much better playmaker than Semin is ridiculous. Semin is by FAR the best playmaker on the caps and to say even Crosby is a much better playmaker would be a point i'd argue.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
really, to say he is a much better playmaker than Semin is ridiculous. Semin is by FAR the best playmaker on the caps and to say even Crosby is a much better playmaker would be a point i'd argue.

Wow, you really think that! I'm not arguing with you here, I'm just a bit surprised. I've watched a few Caps games and I think Semin's got great skill (I have him on my keeper league team, so maybe I'm a bit biased) but I've always thought his finishing skils were the best part of his game. Ovechkin seemed to me to be the best playmaker on the Caps, but if you think Semin is better, then, hey, that's great for me. Maybe Backstrom will give him a run for his money in a few years, I hear he's a pretty nice playmaker.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Ah well, i guess you would be ready to argue with just anything involving Semin then..
Scribe said:
Maybe Backstrom will give him a run for his money in a few years, I hear he's a pretty nice playmaker.
Backstrom is already a better playmaker than Semin.

Kaktus*

It's tough to compare Cherepanov wrist shot to Semin, Ovechkin or Kovalchuk. I think all 3 have better shots but also they are/were bigger then Cherepanov, I've seen Cherepanov wrister and it's not bad.
I would compare Cherepanov to younger version of Pavel Datsyuk with a better shot. Comparing Cherepanov style (and I do mean style not his future NHL success) to Sakic is also fair.

I thought Cherepanov is a bit faster then all 3 at the age of 18 but he doesn't protect the puck like lets say Ovechkin does because of his size. He needs to get bigger but what he does in Russian Super League is very very good. Whoever drafts this kid must let him develop another 1-2 years (there in Russia) just because of his size, my biggest concern. He has skill. Also, do not forget he just turned 18 this month 15th or 17th Jan and already a best sniper in WJC and best Russian prospect.
He is 180cm and 78kg which is not that small for 17 years old but in Canada kids who are 5'11 are about 180-190lbs. He was just a little under 5'11 171lbl at the beginning of this season in Russian Super League, he was listed at 6'0 180-185lbs in WJC (true? I do not know).
As far as stats this season in Omsk. He has 11 goal 21 points in 33-37 games (I do not remember how many games he played), all of his goals come in 2nd and 3rd period. He has 2 GWG which he scored 5 on 5 and 2 PP goals.

Before he became pro his career stats 129 GP, 173G, 131A, 263 PM more then 2 PPG not to mention he scored more then a goal per game. Does not mean much in Russia at that level but still.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What kind of downside does he have, does he have it in him to bust like Stan Chistov?

Kaktus*

Contribute when playing with out the puck (particularly get open on smaller ice), physical play in North America, speed (not his speed ) and adjust to North American system and coaching.

IMO working on his wrist, slap shots and getting open on smaller ice.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
is he willing to into traffic to make a play? Semin in his first season with the Capitals (5-11/6-0 175lbs) was willing take a hit to make the play and even camp out in front of the net...fast forward to now, of course things are a bit different, Semin being 6-2 200lbs isnt overly physical but does play with an edge to his game

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
It's tough to compare Cherepanov wrist shot to Semin, Ovechkin or Kovalchuk. I think all 3 have better shots but also they are/were bigger then Cherepanov, I've seen Cherepanov wrister and it's not bad.
I would compare Cherepanov to younger version of Pavel Datsyuk with a better shot. Comparing Cherepanov style (and I do mean style not his future NHL success) to Sakic is also fair.

I thought Cherepanov is a bit faster then all 3 at the age of 18 but he doesn't protect the puck like lets say Ovechkin does because of his size. He needs to get bigger but what he does in Russian Super League is very very good. Whoever drafts this kid must let him develop another 1-2 years (there in Russia) just because of his size, my biggest concern. He has skill. Also, do not forget he just turned 18 this month 15th or 17th Jan and already a best sniper in WJC and best Russian prospect.
He is 180cm and 78kg which is not that small for 17 years old but in Canada kids who are 5'11 are about 180-190lbs. He was just a little under 5'11 171lbl at the beginning of this season in Russian Super League, he was listed at 6'0 180-185lbs in WJC (true? I do not know).
As far as stats this season in Omsk. He has 11 goal 21 points in 33-37 games (I do not remember how many games he played), all of his goals come in 2nd and 3rd period. He has 2 GWG which he scored 5 on 5 and 2 PP goals.

Before he became pro his career stats 129 GP, 173G, 131A, 263 PM more then 2 PPG not to mention he scored more then a goal per game. Does not mean much in Russia at that level but still.

He's going to look good in the orange and black and that's all what matters to me.......:yo:

Kaktus*

is he willing to into traffic to make a play? Semin in his first season with the Capitals (5-11/6-0 175lbs) was willing take a hit to make the play and even camp out in front of the net...fast forward to now, of course things are a bit different, Semin being 6-2 200lbs isnt overly physical but does play with an edge to his game
Cherepanov plays in traffic some scouts say he plays more then Ovechkin or Malkin. He also is very slick and tough to hit along the boards. (Of course we are talking about bigger ice here. It is somewhat different when you playing in smaller box. Takes time to adjust.) He was hit a few times and hit hard in game against Canada this WJC. Got up and kept on going. Also, it is important not to play him on 4th line.. He can not be some energy line player.

Outside of Ovechkin and Russian d-mans I do not know if anyone plays that physical style and Ovy needs to slow down a bit. He can't hit guys like Gauthier or White and get away with it. Maybe Zubrus, he is not Russian but he developed his game in Russia.

Anyway, Cherepanov has "dirty" rebounds goals and has moves on the inside or outside when he plays one on one agaist d-man.

Semin is more like 6'1 190lbs now I think? I do not think he is as big as Ovechkin.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapsChemist

Mar 26, 2006
State College
He's going to look good in the orange and black and that's all what matters to me.......:yo:

C'mon do you really think well take a Russian that high up? I would love to have him though, a playmaking RW who could set up Gagne or Carter would be great. If we could i would trade our sure to be #1/2 draft pick and try to land him at 5-10.

But knowing our history we probably take the biggest Canadian available.

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
C'mon do you really think well take a Russian that high up? I would love to have him though, a playmaking RW who could set up Gagne or Carter would be great. If we could i would trade our sure to be #1/2 draft pick and try to land him at 5-10.

But knowing our history we probably take the biggest Canadian available.

id say our recent draft history has been pretty darn good...i have a ton of faith in their scouting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->