Alexei Cherepanov: Facts & Myths

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I'd love to see Cherepanov in an Avalanche Jersey.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Nice post...It seems you have Shirikov in your avatar with his "Silencer" thing going on...do you have any info on him as well? I've heard pretty good things about him and would like to hear your opinion on him.

loyst21

Jun 24, 2006
Windsor, ON
He's a big Avs fan. Thats pretty cool. I hope the Avs trade up to draft him.

i love the avs' scouts.. ive always followed the ncaa and wished for the flames to take guys like tj hensick and paul statsny, i cant beleive stastny of all players fell into the 2nd (or was it 3rd).. i wanted the flames to take him in the 1st

and look at what hensick has done in michigan.. i think more emphasis needs to be placed on how much the kids mature in the ncaa.. its unreal, and it looks liek toews might be the next great example of that this coming season

Blues077

Jun 7, 2006
If he falls to #9 and Blues pass on him, I'm going to be pissed. Nice post by the way.

hockeyisdbest

Apr 3, 2007
Is it just me or do Russian players always get criticized for being a selfish/soft player by critics? Every year it is the same thing.

SouthFLFan79

Feb 2, 2007
I wonder if he got picked by a team like florida that often brings up players fast (horton, jbou etc) would he want to come here sooner then?

I would love him if he would want to play here.

Foligno#71

Sep 10, 2006
Gothenburg
www.hockeysverige.se
Sorry about the echoe, but great post!

I saw Cherepanov in Leksand during the WJC and was amazed by his cool manners in front of the goal. The goal he scored against Sweden in the semi-final (with Backstrom all over him) convinced me that he was a very special player. Not flashy, yet very intense. And he does seem very much more mature than, for example, Kovalchuk was at this age.

I will congratulate the team that has the courage to see beyond the prejudice and draft him.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
This was the best assessment of a Russian prospect's potential strengths and negatives I've seen. Thanks very much. Really great post.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jay Grossman who respresents Cherepanov said the following tonight

That at least is according to Alexei Cherepanov’s agent Jay Grossman, who said the player’s agreement with current team Omsk is he’ll be free to come to the NHL after next season.

“We don’t believe it’s an obstacle at all,†Grossman said by phone from the draft. “It may be an issue with certain players but it won’t be an issue with Alexei because we have an agreement with the team and they know his intention is to play in the NHL.â€

Meanwhile, Cherepanov will actually be coming even sooner than that since the team is likely to bring him to New York for a tour next week.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Zirp

Apr 1, 2007
Awesome post! It would be great if JJ was in NY to meet this kid. He mentioned Jagr as one of his idols as well, and wanted to ask him for an autograph, but didn't have the courage when JJ was playing in Russia. I bet it would be a thrill for him. Who knows though... he plays both right and left wing... he might just find himself playing on a line with #68 at some point! All in all, I'm still stunned that the Rangers got him at #17. Steal of the draft, IMO.

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the post.

If you think about it, and if you know about the RSL, the inconsistent and lazy labels that Cherepanov has gotten don't make any sense. The fact that he is playing in the RSL at age 17 or 18 is already impressive. Not only that, but he scored 18 goals, which is a very good total, even for a RSL veteran. Omsk is one of the richest RSL teams; they signed Jagr during the lockout. Put all these things together, and these labels that Cherepanov has gotten just don't add up. If he were lazy or inconsistent or whatever, he simply wouldn't be getting the playing time he's getting, especially not on a team like Omsk.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
The rumor that Cherepanov is better at speaking Russian than English ... FACT!

The rumor that Cherepanov once shot a gypsy for insulting Lenin ... MYTH!

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The rumor that Cherepanov is better at speaking Russian than English ... FACT!

The rumor that Cherepanov once shot a gypsy for insulting Lenin ... MYTH!

Beat me to it.

Fact: He can skate backwards

Myth: Once wrestled a bear in nothing but hockey skates and a green thong in order to save several children from certain doom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->