Waived: Alexei Bereglazov

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
They were all bad at that tournament, Pionk and Andersson included. And the year before that, Buchnevich wasn't that good.

I think especially for guys adjusting to a new ice surface, the European players, we shouldn't be taking their play at Traverse City as all that important. KHL play is a higher level than Traverse City, so if he's good in the KHL, he's probably good for that level of play. There could've been any number of reasons why he didn't play well.

You're talking about them "All" like they are all in the same circumstances. Bereglazov was a legitimate KHL pro and looked like garbage. Sorry, but he was a MASSIVE disappointment.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're talking about them "All" like they are all in the same circumstances. Bereglazov was a legitimate KHL pro and looked like garbage. Sorry, but he was a MASSIVE disappointment.

Buchnevich and Andersson were also legitimate pros. Pionk's the only one who wasn't.

I don't think we have evidence to say whether or not he was a disappointment, he got 0 NHL games and 1 preseason game. The reports were also that he did well in Hartford before he left, but interpret the information any way you like.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Buchnevich and Andersson were also legitimate pros. Pionk's the only one who wasn't.

I don't think we have evidence to say whether or not he was a disappointment, he got 0 NHL games and 1 preseason game. The reports were also that he did well in Hartford before he left, but interpret the information any way you like.

We have plenty. Our own eyes and the fact that the team got rid of him without much hesitation.

I get that you like Russian prospects. But he played himself off the team. Sorry.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We have plenty. Our own eyes and the fact that the team got rid of him without much hesitation.

I get that you like Russian prospects. But he played himself off the team. Sorry.

You are the type of person who only sees what you like, and then you try to force your opinion on other people. This is why I don't like responding to your posts. If you don't understand that he got 0 games at the level of our NHL team and only 1 at the closest level to it (preseason), despite showing well at the next highest level league (KHL), there's no point discussing this further. You are being irrational.

And I like good prospects, you would've said "players" but I criticize Namestnikov, so you change one word to fit a narrative that logic does not support. That reflects poorly on you, not me.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You are the type of person who only sees what you like, and then you try to force your opinion on other people. This is why I don't like responding to your posts. If you don't understand that he got 0 games at the level of our NHL team and only 1 at the closest level to it (preseason), despite showing well at the next highest level league (KHL), there's no point discussing this further. You are simply being irrational.

And I like good prospects, you would've said "players" but I criticize Namestnikov, so you change one word to fit a narrative that logic does not support. That reflects poorly on you, not me.

He got "0 games" because he f***ing sucked.

This is really not that difficult.

I don't know what you don't get.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Players who got 2 or more preseason games: Farnham, Desjardins, Schneider, Fontaine, Catenacci, Tambellini

I'm sure all those guys don't suck.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Our NHL team still needs defensemen.

Pionk's emergence is one thing, but we don't have 6 players locked into a spot. Skjei, Shatty, Pionk and Staal. If Smith is closer to most of his career than last season, thats 5. But beyond that, there are a lot of unknowns. And even with those five, Staal sucks, Smith is a bottom pairing guy and Pionk might not be much better than that either.

Hard to know how Bereglazov would've done, but I don't think it exactly makes sense for a team that doesn't have 6 NHL defensemen to give no chance to a player who is ready, whether he ends up good enough or not, for a chance to play in the NHL. Day clearly isn't ready and may never be, Hajek and Lindgren probably aren't ready yet. O'Gara is mediocre, at best. In fact, I'd argue that if Bereglazov was bad, he'd be about as good as O'Gara showed this season. If he's good, he's a clear upgrade to O'Gara.

I hope Gorton isn't content with going into the season with some combination of DeAngelo, O'Gara and Gilmour for spots 6 and 7. He needs to find the team more young defensemen who are NHL ready.

Yeah, and? If the Rangers thought Bereglazov could be an NHL defenseman he would be here. That simple. Guy didn't play well and isn't worth the contract spot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, and? If the Rangers thought Bereglazov could be an NHL defenseman he would be here. That simple. Guy didn't play well and isn't worth the contract spot.

This is the team that just gave a defensemen a big long-term contract and sent him to the minors a few months later because they realized he sucks and wasn't worth that contract, which is exactly what Detroit's management knew. I'm not sure what they decide behind the scenes is something we should take as correct, and not want to see for ourselves. Gorton has dismantled our defense in the last few years, and so far has little to show for it in NHL caliber defensemen.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This is the team that just gave a defensemen a big long-term contract and sent him to the minors a few months later because they realized he sucks and wasn't worth that contract, which is exactly what Detroit's management knew. I'm not sure what they decide behind the scenes is something we should take as correct, and not want to see for ourselves. Gorton has dismantled our defense in the last few years, and so far has little to show for it in NHL caliber defensemen.

Move the goalposts all you want, it doesn't change the F A C T that I am right. The Rangers didn't feel that Beargloves would be an NHL defenseman. I am assuming they watched him a lot more than you have. If they thought he could play in the NHL and contribute next year they would not terminate his contract.

Regarding your post.... no no sir. That is incorrect. They didn't send him to the minors because they realized he sucks and isn't worth the contract. They sent him to the minors to condition and motivate. Smith is an NHL defenseman. He wasn't in the shape of an NHL defenseman. You know why he was successful for us in the playoffs? A. He was in game shape. B. and arguably even more important, AV let Smith play the game Smith wanted to play. When Smith was able to play to his strengths, he was a good defenseman.

Fast forward to this season, Smith comes into camp out of shape and then AV is attempting to use Smith in the wrong way. The result is what we saw.

To your last point, what defense did Gorton dismantle? One where Girardi was playing 20+ minutes a night? Should he have signed Keith Yandle to a fat contract instead of letting him walk? McDonagh is on the decline. He didn't dismantle the defense. He is dismantling the team, the team that Sather built. That is what happens when you REBUILD.

If you're going to respond to my post, then respond to the content. If you try to move the goalposts again because you don't like my response and realize I am right, just realize I won't respond to whatever it is you say next.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So if Gorton and Co. are terrible at evaluating defensemen, what difference would it have made if they "gave him a chance"? Since they don't know what they're doing, they would have gotten rid of him anyway. Right?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So you're basically saying that the Rangers willingly committed self-sabotage when they just waived his ass.

:laugh:

This is comical. The guy sucked and he's gone. Get over it.
He's a russian player though! So he obviously was just mismanaged by the team and was secretly a superstar on defense who never was given a fair shake.

It's funny, if the guys name was Tom Banks, we all know he wouldn't even be defending him.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Wasn't this made public by the agent, I don't get all of the speculation and debate at all when it looks like Bereglazov wanted out and he's probably signing a new longer term deal back home.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wasn't this made public by the agent, I don't get all of the speculation and debate at all when it looks like Bereglazov wanted out and he's probably signing a new longer term deal back home.
It's certainly possible, much like Kovacs and Stromwall earlier, that Bereglazov simply wanted to remain in Russia and asked out.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Move the goalposts all you want, it doesn't change the F A C T that I am right. The Rangers didn't feel that Beargloves would be an NHL defenseman. I am assuming they watched him a lot more than you have. If they thought he could play in the NHL and contribute next year they would not terminate his contract.

Regarding your post.... no no sir. That is incorrect. They didn't send him to the minors because they realized he sucks and isn't worth the contract. They sent him to the minors to condition and motivate. Smith is an NHL defenseman. He wasn't in the shape of an NHL defenseman. You know why he was successful for us in the playoffs? A. He was in game shape. B. and arguably even more important, AV let Smith play the game Smith wanted to play. When Smith was able to play to his strengths, he was a good defenseman.

Fast forward to this season, Smith comes into camp out of shape and then AV is attempting to use Smith in the wrong way. The result is what we saw.

To your last point, what defense did Gorton dismantle? One where Girardi was playing 20+ minutes a night? Should he have signed Keith Yandle to a fat contract instead of letting him walk? McDonagh is on the decline. He didn't dismantle the defense. He is dismantling the team, the team that Sather built. That is what happens when you REBUILD.

If you're going to respond to my post, then respond to the content. If you try to move the goalposts again because you don't like my response and realize I am right, just realize I won't respond to whatever it is you say next.

Why so hostile?

You are the one who moved the goalposts. The discussion was about our team's defensive depth for next season, and you responded with what the Rangers did. It adds nothing, I know the decision they made. That wasn't the initial topic, nor do I think, as I said in my last response, it particularly should matter towards our opinions. But when you don't have an opinion yourself, I guess its easy to just cite the decision of the team, and trust their decision as many are doing here, and then citing very little evidence as enough evidence. If possible, I'd rather draw my own conclusions. My own conclusion is that we haven't seen enough to decide whether the team made the right or wrong decision. Given our lack of defensive depth though, I think it would've been smart to give the kid a chance, but thats only my opinion.

You can frame the Smith situation anyway you like, he sucked this season, and most who had watched him previously said he wasn't as good as Ranger fans and management seemed to think. Its possible he out of shape. I think he is an NHL defensemen, but that doesn't mean the team didn't make a mistake in giving him that contract, and then admit it a few months later. If they were convinced that Smith was just in bad shape this season and he'll be great next season, I don't think they send him to the minors. I think they realize they miscalculated his abilities.

As for the defense, we were told by so many that Gorton had rebuilt the defense after last offseason. I think there were some saying that we had one of the best defenses in the NHL going into this season. Was that rebuilding to sign two late 20's players to big contracts or did he have the same opinion as those people and miscalculated how the defense on paper would play out in games? I have not been impressed by his defensive decisions on many fronts. Smith was a huge failure of a signing in my opinion. DeAngelo looks like a very underwhelming piece to the Stepan trade. I'm not sure he's even an NHL'er. He put dead money on the cap by buying out Girardi, and now Girardi's top 4 for one of the best teams in the league. I'm not sure it makes sense to add Shattenkirk's big contract to a rebuilding team.

Bereglazov was signed and then released pretty much like that without playing any games, yet Sproul, Kampfer and O'Gara played a combined 60 games. I didn't think it made sense to trade Graves, I think he's better than most of the guys who got long tryouts at the end of the season. I've just not been impressed with Gorton's work in building the defense. What do we have to show for it? Skjei? Excellent, but thats one player, and he's not exactly Drew Doughty. Maybe Pionk? He's been GM for years now, and our defense has only went backwards. Clearly the team is now rebuilding and we'll wait to see how well the defense becomes, but right now, I'm not exactly convinced he knows how to build a defense. And on Yandle, I'll cut him a break there. I still think it was dumb not to trade him, so I would knock the overall asset management, but I wasn't in favor of signing him to a long-term contract, so I can give Gorton a pass in the defense construction department.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's a russian player though! So he obviously was just mismanaged by the team and was secretly a superstar on defense who never was given a fair shake.

It's funny, if the guys name was Tom Banks, we all know he wouldn't even be defending him.

Its pathetic that you keep repeating this rubbish, and then when challenged, you clam up because you can't come up with any logic for your narratives.

You've proven to be a xenophobe who favors players of his own nationality, irregardless of ability to play hockey. You even had the nerve to pull out the stereotypes of playing styles, based on nationality. I wouldn't be surprised if you were the nopuckluck guy who openly claimed he didn't want players of certain nationalities on his team.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

.....or they like a bunch of other guys more and don't really see where he fits. I brought up Hajek and Lindgren for that reason. But Pionk, DeAngelo, O'Gara and Gilmour are also young defensemen and not all of them are going to be with the Rangers next year. There will be a vet presence too. So the reason to not follow up on Bereglazov is probably as simple as they don't see an avenue forward for him within the organization.

I think it should be pointed out that the Rangers had 6 NHL preseason games and that some of those roster game day decisions were reserved for their vets to get them ready for the regular season and that when you add in a bunch of younger players like DeAngelo, Pionk who are new to the team and other young AHL'ers like Gilmour and Graves---the younger guys have got to make an impression right away if they hope to get a second opportunity which is something that Bereglazov failed to do. Bereglazov was very arguably our worst defenseman at Traverse and he didn't impress in the preseason game he played against the Islanders. So to say he didn't get a chance is not correct. He got a chance---he didn't run with it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So maybe you should stop advancing ridiculous narratives about me. You got wrecked in the last discussion and now you are upset about that, so you think you can get back at me this way with misinformation. I have respect for other posters on this site, as long as they don't do the kind of stuff you are doing here. You clearly do not and try to advance misinformation about them when they make better points than you in a disuccison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
So maybe you should stop advancing ridiculous narratives about me. You got wrecked in the last discussion and now you are upset about that, so you think you can get back at me this way with misinformation. I have respect for other posters on this site, as long as they don't do the kind of stuff you are doing here. You clearly do not and try to advance misinformation about them when they make better points than you in a disuccison.
Uhhh.. he didn't get wrecked in anything buddy... there's a reason why lots of people are quoting your posts and saying your incorrect. Wake up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I mean for all intents and purposes, he wa steadily improving in the AHL before leaving. He was fine in one game I watched, but not outstanding.

The Rangers saw plenty of him after his shift back to the KHL and decided to move on. C’est la vie. They took a chance and it didn’t work out. Better luck next time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->