Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I could have sworn I read on this board he was slumping and not playing well.....like I read that last week.

We take his goals for granted.

And talk about how not effective he is on the boards and how easily he turns the puck over. And that is true.

No one said he's bad player. Just stating he isn't at his best and not fully involved.

I think the team took off again around Boston game. And Ovi became more energized, scored some highlight reel goals and played on another level overall.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
QcbgKzK.png

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Wow Ovi is finally getting his due. The main board is giving him a **** ton of praise.

The thing that separates Ovi from the all time greats in that thread (excepting Howe I guess) is that they're all a bunch of nerds. Ovi is having the career Lindros, Neeley and (to a lesser extent) Forsberg should have had.

He's the NHL's all time greatest badass.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Congrats to Ovie, and all the Caps fans who support the team!! What a hockey player and personality this guy is!!!
Such a talent to watch......

As my Habs flounder, I will root for you guys to eat up the East the rest of the year!!

Good luck!!

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I hate linking to anything George McPhee has to say about anything, but this is for the Robitaille and Kolzig comments:

When you make him the first overall pick he’s the player you were hoping to get and he’s the player you wanted and when he comes to training camp, that’s when you’re hoping he’s the player you thought he would be. He was even better that first year in training camp. I remember Olie Kolzig commented after a pickup game. He came off the ice and said, ‘That’s the best hockey player I’ve ever seen.’ I remember a couple months into that season we were playing in Los Angles and I talked to Luc Robitaille a little later. He said that after the first period of the first game they played against each other he thought he was the best player he’d ever seen, and he played a long time with all those great players.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/hocke...-he-didnt-trade-ovechkin?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The thing that separates Ovi from the all time greats in that thread (excepting Howe I guess) is that they're all a bunch of nerds. Ovi is having the career Lindros, Neeley and (to a lesser extent) Forsberg should have had.

He's the NHL's all time greatest badass.

this!!!! remember back to the first couple years when the hockey media said that Crosby would have the better career because he could be durable and Ovechkin's physical game would result in injuries and regression in his skills and blah blah. Ov still hits like a tractor trailer and Crosby is the one that took damage and appears to be regressing.

Ov is Gordie Howe who can shoot it like Mike Bossy too.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Congrats to Ovie, and all the Caps fans who support the team!! What a hockey player and personality this guy is!!!
Such a talent to watch......

As my Habs flounder, I will root for you guys to eat up the East the rest of the year!!

Good luck!!

Hope that Price is back soon. The Habs will obviously be much better with him in net.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the team took off again around Boston game. And Ovi became more energized, scored some highlight reel goals and played on another level overall.

He has 12 goals in the last 12 games and 14 over the last 17. This dates much further back than that Boston game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
this!!!! remember back to the first couple years when the hockey media said that Crosby would have the better career because he could be durable and Ovechkin's physical game would result in injuries and regression in his skills and blah blah. Ov still hits like a tractor trailer and Crosby is the one that took damage and appears to be regressing.

Ov is Gordie Howe who can shoot it like Mike Bossy too.

Gordie Howe liked to drop the gloves just a bit more than Ovie, but I see your point. They don't call it the Gordie Howe Hat Trick for nothing.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Congrats to one of the all time greats!

I hope Mr. Ovechkin stops playing like trash and starts giving a consistent effort and having multi-goal games soon, because his first part of the season has been inexcusably awful.

Tend to agree with Acallabeth for the most part. Ovechkin has been close to 'no show' in most of games this season. My main claim to him is he's basically not involved in an action when his line is on the ice. Yeah, he backchecks pretty well and dont look out of place positionally like he did with Oates but offensively you can often see how Oshie and Backstrom are trying to forecheck, to win battles for pucks and Ovie is skating around trying to create some space for himself in case his mates succeed. Its tough league to play in nowadays and you cant act like that if you want to succeed. Want some goals? Battle harder

Simply straight up embarrassing....:facepalm::facepalm:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Gordie Howe liked to drop the gloves just a bit more than Ovie, but I see your point. They don't call it the Gordie Howe Hat Trick for nothing.

Gordie Howe was dirty in an era of one ref and no tv and no video cameras. Everyone was dirty to an extent to survive. The guy on the ice that everyone was afraid of was Gordie.

In this era where everything done on the ice is seen by at least one camera, you cant be dirty. The player NHL players are afraid of is Ovechkin. Its the fact that he is for his entire career such a constant and dangerous physical force AND the top goal scorer during his era.

I do wonder if Ov might not play until he is 50 and still be scoring 25 goals a season.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
He has 12 goals in the last 12 games and 14 over the last 17. This dates much further back than that Boston game.

By stats, maybe. But my eyes tell me he got hot later than that streak started.

A newest impressive top-X:

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

Inhuman :bow:

And yeah, Ovechkin has made a better effort the last several games, and it shows immediately on the scoreboard.

By the way, guys, has anyone made a good recent AO highlight reel? Forsberg this, Forsberg that - but I've never seen a better highlight video than Loffen's old "Domination".

Last edited:

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
I love June Reactor, but i like this video more even with my discare for Metallica.

And that's only from his first five years in the league...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->