Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackinnonen

Sep 6, 2015
Trash? :laugh:

Should he go 1,5ppg for you to be happy? This team is winning games so I don't see what's the problem. Once Carlson figures out how to pass to Ovi consistently on the PP watch out!

Jun 15, 2007
I think it's fair to say he's been playing at slightly below expectations.

Not that I'm worried. I feel like 50% of the time he has a quiet night but manages to get a point somehow. Like tonight. The other 50% of the time he has a good game but still only gets a single point. Like the Tampa game. He gets his points regardless of his play.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If Ovechkin's teammates make the opposition pay for focusing so much on HIM, then I have no problem with a dip in stats.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Ovechkin's teammates make the opposition pay for focusing so much on HIM, then I have no problem with a dip in stats.

Caps pp has been lighting it up of recent and is ranked 2nd? I'd say they are doing just that. The league as a group has decided to take Ov's shooting lane away. Not a lot Ov can do about that.

Meanwhile he is moving around and messing the PK up further. Last night he switched with Carlson for the first time that I recall and Carlson was left wide open over in the shooting hole.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Should he go 1,5ppg for you to be happy? This team is winning games so I don't see what's the problem. Once Carlson figures out how to pass to Ovi consistently on the PP watch out!
To be fair, he wasn't playing that good when he was scoring 1.5 PPG in the beginning of the season. He doesn't sk8, he doesn't h!t, he doesn't enter the zone, he doesn't win a lot of puck battles. Sure, the team around AO is finally good enough for him to score on a tolerable rate when he's not playing that well, and he's had a poor luck so far, but is it a reason for the captain to play like that?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think he's just waiting. Conserving energy. Knowing Caps have a real shot and not in danger of being out of playoffs he can coast some and look for more passes. Notice how he played in that Detroit game? And yesterday he wasn't even trying to hit much (although gnomes are fast).

We need him in May and he knows it. I'm not worried.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Tend to agree with Acallabeth for the most part. Ovechkin has been close to 'no show' in most of games this season. My main claim to him is he's basically not involved in an action when his line is on the ice. Yeah, he backchecks pretty well and dont look out of place positionally like he did with Oates but offensively you can often see how Oshie and Backstrom are trying to forecheck, to win battles for pucks and Ovie is skating around trying to create some space for himself in case his mates succeed. Its tough league to play in nowadays and you cant act like that if you want to succeed. Want some goals? Battle harder

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No show?!? What on earth are fans watching?

Not saying the day has come, but at some point his numbers are going to dip because he's aging. Seems like people are going to lose their minds when that happens.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
a no show? I think that happened one time. :). Otherwise 8 has been 8. He is not trying to do everything himself. I guess if we are going to have to complain, lets complain about Ovechkin. Keeps things fresh

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Stats are stats, sometimes they are useful sometime not.

First 23 games by Ovechkin [points]:

2005-06 - 24
2006-07 - 25
2007-08 - 26
2008-09 - 31
2009-10 - 32
2010-11 - 29
2011-12 - 18
2012-13 - 20
2013-14 - 28 (21 goal... what a waste of second half by OatesCaps)
2014-15 - 21

Examples of indicative starts:
2006-07 started good, finished good.
2008-09 and 2009-10 started with monster seasons, finished with monster seasons.
2011-12 started slow, finished with mediocre season (he actually was better in the second half and after Bruce was fired).

Examples of non-indicative starts:
Last season and 2013 started slow, finished with excellent seasons.
2005-06 and 2007-08 Ovechkin started good, finished with monster seasons.
2010-11 and 2013-14 started excellent, finished with good seasons.

The day will come when this fanbase will appreciate Ovechkin. Unfortunately for many (here included) it'll be too late.
Truer words were never spoken.

Hopefully they will snab at least one cup, that will force to shut up general hockey community for duration of his career at least.

Last edited:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The day will come when this fanbase will appreciate Ovechkin. Unfortunately for many (here included) it'll be too late.

The fact that I'm not licking Ovechkin's ass when he's playing average does not mean I dont appreciate his game. If some of those people who complain here about bashing Ovi for nothing have noticed, I have Ovi on my userpic and in my nickname. But if his game is average (by his standards and overall), it's average. It's got to be admitted and that is what some of us do here. No need to criticize someone for their opinions even if its about the best player on the team.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The fact that I'm not licking Ovechkin's ass when he's playing average does not mean I dont appreciate his game. If some of those people who complain here about bashing Ovi for nothing have noticed, I have Ovi on my userpic and in my nickname. But if his game is average (by his standards and overall), it's average. It's got to be admitted and that is what some of us do here. No need to criticize someone for their opinions even if its about the best player on the team.

K, bud. Average. Got it.

caps8

Apr 9, 2007

A 5 or 10 game stretch of non-dominant play doesn't mean Ovechkin has been average. By his standards, yes. Overall, one of the game's best players.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
A 5 or 10 game stretch of non-dominant play doesn't mean Ovechkin has been average. By his standards, yes. Overall, one of the game's best players.

And a 25 game stretch when he only had 3 really good games? I love Ovechkin, but I also have high standards for him. He doesn't show any more signs of aging than in 2011, his problem is just that he isn't engaged in play enough this year. If you're happy when Alex is just skating by, alright.
He has enough skill and experience now to still be a really dangerous player just skating by, but it drives me nuts that some games he looks like a 120 pts player, and the others he just has a nice recreational skate.

So, waiting patiently for the machine getting going.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
And a 25 game stretch when he only had 3 really good games? I love Ovechkin, but I also have high standards for him. He doesn't show any more signs of aging than in 2011, his problem is just that he isn't engaged in play enough this year. If you're happy when Alex is just skating by, alright.
He has enough skill and experience now to still be a really dangerous player just skating by, but it drives me nuts that some games he looks like a 120 pts player, and the others he just has a nice recreational skate.

So, waiting patiently for the machine getting going.

As you should, Ovi is a notorious slow starter. I think it took him like 35 games last year to reach a PPG. He generally gets going around Christmas, we'll see.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
K, bud. Average. Got it.

He meant average for Ovechkin. Not average for an NHL player. If he were playing average for an NHL player, I'd have to be asking what on earth he is looking at. Though, I guess somebody has asked that and so....

of note. 8 is just about leading the league I even strength points per game. considering the caps have played the fewest games in the league its a fair stat to use.

he is leading the league in shots as usual. considering his pp shots are way down shows he is putting in the effort.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As you should, Ovi is a notorious slow starter. I think it took him like 35 games last year to reach a PPG. He generally gets going around Christmas, we'll see.

I've always thought that Ovechkin doesn't really start slow. the rest of the league starts fast. as the season progresses and they start to get worn down, Ov doesn't slow down and their ability to contain him erodes.

Melskiloco

Oct 16, 2015
I've always thought that Ovechkin doesn't really start slow. the rest of the league starts fast. as the season progresses and they start to get worn down, Ov doesn't slow down and their ability to contain him erodes.

This is an interesting view point. I'd have to agree to some extent. It is probably a hybrid of all options, but this is something I have never thought of, but after reading this, it makes some sense to me.

I can see where it is concerning to some about OV'so production on the PP, but I can't explain how excited I am that we are dealing with this problem in December, so that in April and beyond we already have the answers. Watching the EXTREMELY LOW number of PP's in the Playoffs fail because all 5 guys stand still and try to feed OVS is epically frustrating, and creating new options now is so powerful!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin's big scoring months have always been I the dog days of the season. He tears it up in January and February and March. His playoffs have almost always been strong. When the league starts getting dinged and bruised and tired their overall play drops off by a small percentage. Ov's drop off is a smaller percentage.

Watch his shots on goal totals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->