Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
It didn't work that well the previous time with Kirilenko. Let's hope Nastya sticks around and attends every game at VC. You don't want Ovi to get angry and to start smashing things in the locker room :laugh:

Angry Ovie is a good Ovie!

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Angry Ovi, yes.
Frustrated Ovi, no.

Regardless, I wish them the best. I must say, Ovi has great taste in women. Kirilenko was beautiful, but Nastya is even more beautiful.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I can't believe Ovi is 30 already. It seems like it was just yesterday that he was destroying the league at the age of 20.

Happy birthday to the best player to ever wear a Caps jersey!

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I just went to the nhl.com stat archive and noticed that Ovechkin has entered the top 100 point scorers ever.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It must be really hard for Trotz to scold Ovi when he makes a mistake, after showering him with praise publicly like that.

Thankfully, Trotz doesn't give him the superstar treatment like BB did.

I disagree. Part of the reason he can criticize Ovie and be taken seriously is because he very clearly understands what a superlative talent #8 is. That Trotz wants him to be the very best and believes he can eclipse 99 as a goal scorer makes Ovie more inclined to listen to him, not less.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Probably the best the Caps will EVER have. At least one Cup please hockey gods.....please.

If even the Ovechkin era Capitals can't get it done, then no one will. He's the best player we will ever get, better watch all his games before he calls it a career. I'm optimistic. Our turn will come, I can feel it. Ovi will be the first player in a Caps uniform to lift the Cup. It's not a question of how but when.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
New article on nhl.com with nice quotes about Ovechkin:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=788367

My favourites:
Bobby Clarke

"I think this is a unique individual player not only because of his goal scoring, but he's 235 or 240 pounds. He is like a bull on the loose out there. This is a phenomenal hockey player, way above so many of the other great, great scorers. So many of the great scorers were not physical players, but this guy, I don't know how you stop a guy like this. He goes at you. That size and that speed for that size, he's just one of those freaks of nature that produces a hockey player."

Martin Brodeur

"You know he's going to beat you and have a highlight-reel goal, but when he fans on one or if it's a bad-angle goal when he's trying to make a pass and it goes off of you or someone else and in, that's when you get upset as a goalie. But you don't always get upset because these guys are good and they score nice goals. You just want to make sure he doesn't score one when he's on his back and looking at somebody else so you see the highlight for the rest of your life. That's your ultimate, to not get embarrassed."

Bryz is goofy as always.

Ilya Bryzgalov

"Alex is Alex, he's a scoring machine, you know. I guess everybody wonders when he stops. Every year he puts in 50, 50, 50, 50. He's an amazing talent. He's strong. He has natural talent, natural ability to score, an amazing shot. Like I said, he's just a scoring machine. He scores goals so easy."

I can just picture that voice in my head. :laugh:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Dino Ciccarelli

"Goal scoring, for me, it was just being very passionate. I loved scoring goals as a kid, always fooling around, and that's how it carries over for us, for guys like Ovechkin. I really don't know him, but he's got that drive and he's got that passion. There's nobody else like him. He can fire that puck. He's got some talented guys around him that set him up, but that comes with practice. I hear he practices shooting pucks like crazy. Not only is it coming at you hard, it's accurate too. It's a good lesson for everybody else, for young kids, [practice] is how you're going to get better."

First, it's good to hear.
Second, he should take some other Caps to practice with him. I will not name any certain butter guys ofc.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I hope Mr. Ovechkin stops playing like trash and starts giving a consistent effort and having multi-goal games soon, because his first part of the season has been inexcusably awful.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I hope Mr. Ovechkin stops playing like trash and starts giving a consistent effort and having multi-goal games soon, because his first part of the season has been inexcusably awful.

Awful is an exaggeration. He's at a PPG so far (23 in 23) and should be at 25 in 23 if not for the stupid coach's challenge. Ovi is a notorious slow starter, I'm not worried. The goals will come in a bunch. He'll go from 15 goals to 35 goals in the blink of an eye, you won't even notice it.

If you're talking about tonight specifically, he had some nice setups for Oshie and got an assist, but I'd give credit to the Habs for shutting him down effectively.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Awful is an exaggeration. He's at a PPG so far (23 in 23) and should be at 25 in 23 if not for the stupid coach's challenge. Ovi is a notorious slow starter, I'm not worried. The goals will come in a bunch. He'll go from 15 goals to 35 goals in the blink of an eye, you won't even notice it.

If you're talking about tonight specifically, he had some nice setups for Oshie and got an assist, but I'd give credit to the Habs for shutting him down effectively.

It would help if someone could give him a decent pass on the PP.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It would help if someone could give him a decent pass on the PP.

His rotation to the high slot late in the 3rd to play Carlson and Niskanen as the point men was completely useless. All 4 Habs could get their stick near his inside the box. Let's see if they can come up with new wrinkles to the PP to compensate for Carlson and Niskanen's poor passing. I thought having Ovi play as the PPQB was original, he could be fed directly by Backstrom or Kuznetsov.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
He needs to do more switching with Carlson on the PP like he did tonight. Threw the PK off and would allow him to play the two-man game with 19 or 92.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

First 23 games last year: 12-9-21 (6 ppg, 6 esg)
First 23 games this year: 12-11-23 (3 ppg, 9 esg)

I'm not exactly worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad