Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
There is some truth to that Oker. But it's not just him.

No one sacks up enough to just bull rush straight at the defensemen/goalie. Now that Ovi is not a difference maker (for us) at ES, Justin and Oshie random sightings aside, we are a perimeter team.

You can tell which of our top 6 is not home grown.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I just can't get on board with trading him. He is what he is as a player and leader. He's unlikely to improve in either department at this point, but he's still the best we'll ever have probably.

It hurts as a fan to see a guy underachieving because he's not in the best shape he could be, or maybe isn't as dedicated or doesn't have the internal fire he once had.

Part of me still holds out hope that he'll mature more and he'll come into camp down 20lb, in the best shape of his life. I just don't really believe he's got the heart to do that now and that sucks as a fan to believe that about your favorite player.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Backstrom had four against PIT, but one was a fluke bounce on a 5-3 PP and one was meaningless window dressing in the 6-2 blowout. He got on his horse and scored a big goal in game five, but the point is why does he not do it more often? He's shown he's capable of making those plays when he wants, but my criticism is that it needs to be his first instinct more. Too often he enters the zone and immediately drifts down the half wall looking to make a pretty pass instead of putting the defense on their heels. Perimeter play is fine if you're an elite shooting winger, but you need more from the center position than just trying to set up wingers for shots.

He's clearly a great player and no way is the loss all on his shoulders, but I think he's a symptom of the Caps problems. Sometimes you have to put aside the globetrotter stuff and just bang in a dirty goal in front of the net. Nether Backstrom or the Caps seem very interested in doing it repeatedly over a seven-game series.

If those goals doesn't count anymore, it means we swept Toronto in round 1 and Holtby had 0.00 GAA and 100SV%

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
How many goals, assists and points do you think Ovi will have this year? in 5 games 9 goals 1 assist 10 points

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think Ovechkin will skip the ASG this season and miss 1 game from that. Protest for missing the Olympics.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think Ovechkin will skip the ASG this season and miss 1 game from that. Protest for missing the Olympics.

That would be stupid of him. We can't afford to have him missing any games this year, we already have a tough time winning games with him in the lineup.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

The ASG is a joke and suspending players for not attending is a bigger joke. How would the NHL know is their reasons for missing were legit or not? I'd rather him go just because we can't afford him to miss any games.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
honestly don't care. Nothing he said was crazy, he is just pro Russian and I don't blame him. He even said its not political, he just wants to support his president/country. I'm tired of people injecting politics into my sports.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Please remember that political talk is not allowed. Please focus on the quote and not what putin does to people who he doesnt like

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I've witness Ovechkin, just for a moment, as I caught one of his shift against the NYR tonight. His skating is good, so hopefully that knee on knee didn't slow him down too much. Also, he seem much faster than last year, much more engaged.... But OK, I've only seen one shift in the first period here... but still, was giving more effort than he did the last time I saw him in the last few years. Has he been skating faster and more consistently since he lost weight before training camp?

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That would be stupid of him. We can't afford to have him missing any games this year, we already have a tough time winning games with him in the lineup.

I imagine he skips the all star game to get the rest. There is no Russian team in the Olympics for him to miss

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I've witness Ovechkin, just for a moment, as I caught one of his shift against the NYR tonight. His skating is good, so hopefully that knee on knee didn't slow him down too much. Also, he seem much faster than last year, much more engaged.... But OK, I've only seen one shift in the first period here... but still, was giving more effort than he did the last time I saw him in the last few years. Has he been skating faster and more consistently since he lost weight before training camp?

Yes he has. More engaged, and his hands look as good as they did 3 years ago.

Reactions: Fixxer

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
3 assist game against New Jersey puts him 6 assists away from 500. Now 146th all time in assists and 76 assists away from top 100 in that category. Definitely an underrated playmaker.

Oh and 200 PP assists now.
He isn't a terrible passer but I wouldn't call him a playmaker. I wouldn't mind if he passed a bit more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad