Alexander Ovechkin Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Here is an Ovechkin interview from the last day or two that was posted in a Russian paper. I'll interperet it as well as I can from the direct translation that is really bad. Here it is, and some parts are hard to figure out so I'll just leave those as they are, and Ovechkin's comments have this before them---------
Here it is:

Ovechkin,the consensus number one pick of beginners of NHL, is only 18 years old, but he is already named PHL best left wing of the Russian superleague and alongside Sokolov, Kovalchuk and other stars is almost the main hope of our national team in Ostrava and Prague. Before leaving with the national team from Odintsov the rookie of the world championships has given interview to correspondent SE (Sports Express).

whether the Truth, what before the second match with chehami Valery Belousov fulfilled with you a throw from under the defender?

- -------Generally I am on a line in "Dynamo" - with Valery Belovym. And in the training of national team, Valery Konstantinovich during practicing shots simply stood, then began to move, simulating game situations. As you can see, has helped (smiles). [Ovechkin scored two goals]

Two games for 3'rd place in Euroround have brought absolutely opposite results. Whether it is possible to speak what JAgr, Straka, Glavach, not playing in the second match in Prague, play a leading role for the Czech Republic team?

-------- Certainly, they are masters of the highest class. But, I think, in Moscow we simply did not win. We did not capitalize on key chances. We can say, breakaways on the goalkeeper which Ilya Kovalchuka and Sergey Zinoveva had did not have results. And here in the second game we used most of our chances, therefore have won.

From the celebration it seemed, that after winning goal was scored by Zinovev in overtime personally you were pleased as much as if have the team had won at least the world championship.

-------- Any victory, especially at the international level, is a victory. The third place in Euroround - we worked hard for that. So we celebrated.

What, do you think, awaits the national team of Russia in the world championships?

------- We work hard for the highest possible results, at least we are adjusted on it.

We can see, that you with Zinovev and Zelepukin,the line of the three of you is the most consistent, at least during exhibition games for tournament. Can you tell us about the six goals, scored in the second match with the Czech Republic?

- - ------we have started to develop some chemistry. Already I know, what my linemate will do before he does it, where it is necessary to pass and where to wait for a pass.

While you met with the Czech Republic in Ostrava, our junior national team performed in the ending of the Under-18 Junior championship in Minsk. Do you know, how it has ended?

-------- Yes! Taking the oppurtunity, I congratulate through "SE" our guys for the victory. Great guys! I know many players from this team. They have proved, that the last year in Yaroslavl the Russian national team has completely casually taken only the third place.

Probably, even now you remember that insulting defeat in the semifinal?

-------- Certainly. In fact we possessed the strongest team and showed the best among all commands, but have won only bronze. It was a pity also for coach Vladimir Nikolaevich Krjuchkov. He put in us all effort and trust, constantly did his best for us, even drove us to the cinema. And we have brought him nothing... We are guilty in that defeat, not the coach.

you will almost certainly be drafted first overall in the Draft, and you are to appear, apparently, in "Washington"?

-------- To me one thing is always necessary: the first place. I think, that second place for a sportsman should not exist. And to speak particularly about a club, the NHL is the NHL, the best players, and it doesn't matter which of the 30 teams it is necessary to play for. If I will be chosen by "Washington", I shall play there and if I will be chosen by, for example, "Chicago", I shall consider it an honour to put on the sweater of this team.

your father has said, that it would not be preferable that you go to a the big city with a lot of temptations...

-------- I Think, he has not absolutely correctly understood. Certainly, he looks out for me, but also knows, that it is impossible to choose the city where it is necessary to live. Nevertheless, it depends on the person, correct? It is possible to live in a megacity and to think only of work and development, and it is also possible and to find entertainments in a small town.

After the two goals you scored in the second match with the Czech Republic, all of you still worry for a place on the National Team in the world championship?

-------- the Final structure becomes known the day before the start of tournament. For now all of us are candidates. And I do not think, that I have already reserved for myself a place on the team.

Because of your age you get also to play for the next World Junior team. Will you go?

-------- Certainly! There we shall try to prove it was an accident that we got only fifth place in the last championship.
If after a draft you get the maximum rookie contract, and the NHL team will be interested in you, will you at once leave for America?

-------- At present I can tell nothing.

Have you analyzed the experience of Kovalchuk and Zherdev in going to the NHL?

-------- No. I am guided by a simple rule: if you are ready to play there - play, if you are not ready - improve your skill in present team first.

And you are ready now?

------- it is Difficult to tell.

the World championship in Czechia will strongly affect your estimation?

------- I Think, yes.

Are you pleased with your performance in the regular season with Dynamo?

--------- "Dynamo" has not gotten that place which we expected so I do not see occasions for pleasure.

your birthday, on September, 17, from the point of view of a draft is it for you a positive or negative thing?

-------- It depends. Positive that I have had an opportunity to grow up, get stronger physically and morally. But, on the other hand, I could have been drafted earlier.

And it would change something in your career?

------- It is useless to speak about it. I have never hidden that to play in the NHL - my dream.

You think, if the national team will arrive before or after the winner of the Stanley Cup is announced, it will affect somehow a psychological atmosphere in the national team?

-------- When we will arrive, then we shall see--it is now difficult to tell.

Are you pleased that you almost certainly have a spot reserved for you on the National Team?

--------I'm only 18 years! If I shall go as a backup player, I will already be happy.

-you won gold with the Junior National team. Our national team has not won a World Champonship title for 11 years. When will this losing streak end?

------- It can happen at any moment. Even in Czechia. Do not doubt: we do not go there to lose!

You 18'th birthday was at the beginning of the season, and you have removed your full face mask almost at once. Then suddenly again you began to wear it. Do you not want to leave the mask?

-------That has nothing to do with it. Simply I broke my nose four times, and doctors have recommended for me to finish the season in the mask, and then have a small surgury.

We've heard, that you have broken your nose in the first game without a mask.

------- That's not true, not in the first game. Three weeks all was in order, up to a game with "Amur". In one of the game moments the contender has met very rigidly. The fourth time something similar happened in a game with TsSKA.

I can not be kept from parallels with Eric Lindros who has had eight concussions. Are you not afraid to face the same problems?

- ------Afraid? If to play hockey is terrible, then why go out on the ice? It is better to sit at home. Or to be engaged in other kinds of sports - for example, checkers.

you are a left wing, as well as Ilya Kovalchuk. Now, when you play and train together on the same national team, do you try to learn something from him?

------- it would be a sin to not take advantage of such an opportunity. Ilya has a fine shot, constantly aimed at the net, excellent possession of the puck, qualities of the leader. And in general he is the best player in the NHL.

In a match with the Czech Republic, the shots just went right for you much better...

----- it is a simple fact that opponents pay attention to Kovalchuk differently. As soon as Ilya gets the puck, opposing players instantly go to him, not allowing him to attack. Nevertheless, I think, in the world championship he will manage to show himself.

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
That's nice, seems like he wants to play here and has an ego the size of a walnut, it's all team-first, happy to be here, etc. He also considers it an honour to put on any team's jersey. I really realyl like him :)

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
I can not be kept from parallels with Eric Lindros who has had eight concussions. Are you not afraid to face the same problems?

- ------Afraid? If to play hockey is terrible, then why go out on the ice? It is better to sit at home. Or to be engaged in other kinds of sports - for example, checkers.
:lol: :lol: I love this guy!! :lol: :lol:

st_roland

I liked this part too:

Are you pleased that you almost certainly have a spot reserved for you on the National Team?

--------I'm only 18 years! If I shall go as a backup player, I will already be happy.

I love modesty in players. He also seems very professional and dedicated.

kickice

interesting read. He sounds very very mature for his age.

Comments like 'No. I am guided by a simple rule: if you are ready to play there - play, if you are not ready - improve your skill in present team first.' sounds like a guy who's hungry to learn, as well as being totally grounded.

Considering how touted he is, it'd be easy for him to think of himself as headed straight to the NHL, but he's just not thinking that way.

Sounds like one heck of a mature kid. :)

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
It's funny how he called Washington a "megacity". It's also somewhat of a coincidence that Ovechkin will be moving from the capital of Russia to the capital of the United States. From capital to capital.

Kabers

Mar 20, 2004
Maryland
I can't believe how modest and mature this kid sounds. I love it! It's so great and rare to find a young player with incredible talent as well as a sound head on his shoulders. I also love the part about it being an honor just to wear a team's jersey, no matter what team it is. The guy loves the game!

Can't wait to see him in DC! (knocks on wood!!)

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Ovechkin is no softie. He just got in a fight with a guy who is about 30 years old and 18 pounds heavier. Ovechkin is no wuss. I have two videos of him hitting men in the Superleague. They both bounced off him onto the ice while Ovechkin remained standing. Both were open-ice hits.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Foppa_Rules said:
Ovechkin is no softie. He just got in a fight with a guy who is about 30 years old and 18 pounds heavier. Ovechkin is no wuss. I have two videos of him hitting men in the Superleague. They both bounced off him onto the ice while Ovechkin remained standing. Both were open-ice hits.
One thing I notice is that Ovechkin gets caught with his head down frequently. As you said, the hits just bounce off of him, but I have my doubts that a Stevens or McCabe would go down so easily.

Foppa_Rules said:
Please go to Ovechkin Videos And click on "hit.avi" and " hit_vs_amour.avi" and you will see what I mean about his hitting. He is not a wuss or Euro-finesse. Watch those two videos.
I know Ovechkin isn't a softie, but come on, nobody should base their opinion on two 5 second clips.

Anybody noticed that this is the 1st draft in a while where someone hasn't really been questioning the attitude of the top 5 talent russians?

Even with Kovalchuk there were people regularly raising questions over his attitude etc. the whole soft & attitude problem sems to be linked with a majority of the gifted offensive euro's, particularly russians. Guess ovechkin etc are good...or everyone is sick of trying to shoot them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad