Alex Ovechkin concedes dream of playing in 2018 Olympics

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Good luck to the NHL getting any participants for their "World Cup of Hockey" now.

Zero chance Ovi suits up for that one - and I bet few European players do as well

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
People keep romanticisizng these "amateurs" being allowed to play for USA. This isn't going to be Lake Placid. This isn't going to be a ragtag bunch of 20 year olds from college hockey. This is going to be NHL washouts like Mark Arcobello, Dan Sexton, and Nathan Gerbe.

Well said...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
People keep romanticisizng these "amateurs" being allowed to play for USA. This isn't going to be Lake Placid. This isn't going to be a ragtag bunch of 20 year olds from college hockey. This is going to be NHL washouts like Mark Arcobello, Dan Sexton, and Nathan Gerbe.

You're really pushing this "it's not what you think it is" angle hard, but so what if it's not all amateurs? That's not the entirety of the point.

It's not just about amateur purity, it's about singular dedication to representing your country rather than trying to convince a bunch of superstars they should forget about the money and just go. Most of the NHL stars don't even join the national teams until right before the games. I want to see largely intact squads fight to get there.

I'd still rather back a group of HUNGRY athletes who are dedicated to Olympic dreams for their own sake. It would likely be the greatest thing to ever happen to them by far. If they make money off it afterwards or get a shot at a higher league then good for them. But if not, they go back to selling insurance or hustling MLM scams lol. Stakes are high.

We can still prefer the amateurs as well as general underdogs at the same time. If there are a few college kids on the roster so much the better. The NHL players are already "best on best" and there are plenty of other tournaments for them.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
These guys won't be joining the national team until shortly before the tournament, either. They still have their AHL, KHL, NL, SHL, NCAA, etc. games to play.

None of these guys are insurance salesmen. Save the couple NCAA guys like Jordan Greenway (who is an NHL draftee and will play hockey professionally in the future), these are guys who play hockey for a living. Many of them played in the NHL at some point, but simply didn't stick around because they weren't good enough.

Playing up this weird angle about "HUNGRY" athletes or quote Herb Brooks and posting "Miracle" movie clips is completely different than what this team is going to be. It's going to be professional players, just not current NHL players.

We'll see how excited you are all about it when they finish neck-and-neck with Slovenia.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You're really pushing this "it's not what you think it is" angle hard, but so what if it's not all amateurs? That's not the entirety of the point.

It's not just about amateur purity, it's about singular dedication to representing your country rather than trying to convince a bunch of superstars they should forget about the money and just go. Most of the NHL stars don't even join the national teams until right before the games. I want to see largely intact squads fight to get there.

I'd still rather back a group of HUNGRY athletes who are dedicated to Olympic dreams for their own sake. It would likely be the greatest thing to ever happen to them by far. If they make money off it afterwards or get a shot at a higher league then good for them. But if not, they go back to selling insurance or hustling MLM scams lol. Stakes are high.

We can still prefer the amateurs as well as general underdogs at the same time. If there are a few college kids on the roster so much the better. The NHL players are already "best on best" and there are plenty of other tournaments for them.

The Russian KHL stars are going to destroy this tournament. This will be the most lopsided tournament ever. No miracle on ice this time.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
These guys won't be joining the national team until shortly before the tournament, either. They still have their AHL, KHL, NL, SHL, NCAA, etc. games to play.

None of these guys are insurance salesmen. Save the couple NCAA guys like Jordan Greenway (who is an NHL draftee and will play hockey professionally in the future), these are guys who play hockey for a living. Many of them played in the NHL at some point, but simply didn't stick around because they weren't good enough.

Playing up this weird angle about "HUNGRY" athletes or quote Herb Brooks and posting "Miracle" movie clips is completely different than what this team is going to be. It's going to be professional players, just not current NHL players.

We'll see how excited you are all about it when they finish neck-and-neck with Slovenia.

Ok thanks for the warnings.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'll take that bet.

It will all be about the money, again.

There are a ton of rumors that Ovechkin, Crosby, and some of the bigger names were paid upward of 250k to show up for the World Cup. I'd take 250k, especially with how much escrow the top end players pay, for two weeks of work.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

You're not going to get that either....it's going to be marginal talents on huge ice and it's going to come off poorly IMO. We'll see.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

Second this. The olympics are now going to be an AHL team vs a KHL team vs an WHL team etc....

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

I may be reading this wrong but just as a point of reference for who may be eligible to go:

AHL players on two-way NHL deals or those demoted to the minors aren't allowed to participate in the Olympics -- or at least not yet -- but players signed to AHL contracts will be allowed to participate.

I would think that takes away quite a bit from the 'good player' pool, especially for the younger players.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...an-head-to-olympics-here-are-eight-candidates

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think it's safe to say his past Olympic failures haven't been exactly helpful or a positive for his career and confidence.

How so?

2006, first season in the league scores 52 goals, 100 points, wins the Calder.

2010, another 50 goal, 100 point season, wins the Pearson, finishes second in Hart voting.

2014, another 50+ goal season, wins the Rocket.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
For goodness' sake. We've all seen his confidence and morale plummet with each major loss. He bounces back remarkably well, but honestly, there has clearly be a cumulative impact. I can't say I'm sorry that he will not have the opportunity to suffer another crushing defeat midseason.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How so?

2006, first season in the league scores 52 goals, 100 points, wins the Calder.

2010, another 50 goal, 100 point season, wins the Pearson, finishes second in Hart voting.

2014, another 50+ goal season, wins the Rocket.

2006 didn't mean much, he was very young and he was a complimentary player for Russia. 2010, his play really dropped off after the huge setback in Vancouver. Some people say Ovechkin's decline began at the 2010 Olympics, and they would be correct. He was never the same again after that. He should've swept the awards easily that year, he was ahead of everyone in the Rocket and Art Ross race by a mile. Instead he only took home the Lindsay.

2014, his defensive play sank to new lows, but I'd put the blame on Adam Oates, he really had no clue what he was doing. Every Cap was playing like crap at that point in time. The loss in Sochi affected him in the sense that he got roasted by both the Russian and Canadian media.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Look at the pre-Olympic vs post-Olympic splits for 2010. Before the Olympics he was on a borderline-historic pace (42 goals and 89 points in 54 games).

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
does this mean team Russia will finally win Gold? Canada should still be pretty good with kids.

Honestly I probably wont watch a second of the olympics now. No real point with the best not there but also barely watched it when it was the pros. Just watched US and Russia.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Russia should win gold this time, there's no excuse for them not to win it. They're the only nation that is still able to send star players to the tournament.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovi always ramps up his play before the Olympics. Maybe he will again, but without the heartbreak, which will lead us to the promised land.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Russia should win gold this time, there's no excuse for them not to win it. They're the only nation that is still able to send star players to the tournament.

And they will still find a way to embarrass themselves.

When i was younger i always rooted for team Russia and couldn't wait for Olympics and even enjoyed the World Championships once Caps got knocked out early. But after the Sochi Olympics and hearing rumors about Putin having a say in who was named head coach (not sure if true or not) i was so disgusted that i stopped watching completely even before Russia once again got embarrassed.

Truth is, Russia may produce very good players here and there but overall their development system is way behind North America or even some European countries. I would wager that kids from Canadian Junior leagues can beat a all star KHL squad.

Also over the years i have grown more and more frustrated with Ovechkins "patriotism", going to play for Russia a day after Caps get eliminated. Being fitted for team Russia Jersey in DECEMBER. I even remember one year the team held a place for Ovi, you know in case Caps choke again early.
Russia is huge, millions of people. Ovechkin owes nothing to Russia, if anything Russia owes Ovechkin.

So all in all even though i would have liked to see some Olympic games, i prefer them to play full season and focus not he cup. Besides, who the hell wants to see Canada win the gold again anyway

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
And they will still find a way to embarrass themselves.

When i was younger i always rooted for team Russia and couldn't wait for Olympics and even enjoyed the World Championships once Caps got knocked out early. But after the Sochi Olympics and hearing rumors about Putin having a say in who was named head coach (not sure if true or not) i was so disgusted that i stopped watching completely even before Russia once again got embarrassed.

Truth is, Russia may produce very good players here and there but overall their development system is way behind North America or even some European countries. I would wager that kids from Canadian Junior leagues can beat a all star KHL squad.

Also over the years i have grown more and more frustrated with Ovechkins "patriotism", going to play for Russia a day after Caps get eliminated. Being fitted for team Russia Jersey in DECEMBER. I even remember one year the team held a place for Ovi, you know in case Caps choke again early.
Russia is huge, millions of people. Ovechkin owes nothing to Russia, if anything Russia owes Ovechkin.

So all in all even though i would have liked to see some Olympic games, i prefer them to play full season and focus not he cup. Besides, who the hell wants to see Canada win the gold again anyway

I don't mind seeing Canada win gold :yo:

My second favourite national team is Russia, so I wish them to do well. I don't think the kids from the Canadian Junior leagues can beat the KHL all stars. Putin has a say in everything that is even remotely related to Russia, that shouldn't be a surprise to you. Ovi would gladly skip the WC if it meant the Caps advanced to the semi-finals. They just haven't done it, so he moves on to his "national duty".

There's one more aspect to this that you haven't considered. You cannot refuse the call to Team Russia under any circumstance short of your team being still alive in the Stanley Cup playoffs or in case of injury. It's not a request, it's an order. Alex Kovalev used to be the captain of Team Russia a long time ago. He refused a call to Team Russia and he never played again for his country. Ditto with Radulov, he refused to go to the WC last spring, and he was left off the roster for the WCH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->