Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Can't say I've watched much of Nylander playing, as I don't follow the Amerks as closely as the Sabres and I'm only really following the prospect tourneys/camps by word of mouth... but I'm growing a bit concerned that there isn't much good being said about him lately.

I was excited when he seemed like he bulked up quite a bit over the offseason... but bulking up doesn't matter all that much if he just plays disinterested. I get they are just little tournaments and camps thus far this offseason, but a young guy with a lot left to prove should be balls to the wall every opportunity he gets to show off to the powers that be. Is it still just a matter of time and maturity for Nylander?

snowshoes1818

Oct 19, 2014
but I'm growing a bit concerned that there isn't much good being said about him lately

Shiny new thing syndrome + first round expectations.

Maybe he doesn't pan out, but he's... so... young. I mean, they all are. Don't be too inclined to microanalyze just yet.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Can't say I've watched much of Nylander playing, as I don't follow the Amerks as closely as the Sabres and I'm only really following the prospect tourneys/camps by word of mouth... but I'm growing a bit concerned that there isn't much good being said about him lately.

I was excited when he seemed like he bulked up quite a bit over the offseason... but bulking up doesn't matter all that much if he just plays disinterested. I get they are just too little tournaments and camps thus far this offseason, but a young guy with a lot left to prove should be balls to the wall every opportunity he gets to show off to the powers that be. Is it still just a matter of time and maturity for Nylander?

It was one game after not playing a game all summer.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

I was excited when he seemed like he bulked up quite a bit over the offseason... but bulking up doesn't matter all that much if he just plays disinterested. I get they are just little tournaments and camps thus far this offseason, but a young guy with a lot left to prove should be balls to the wall every opportunity he gets to show off to the powers that be. Is it still just a matter of time and maturity for Nylander?

He only played one game and apparently he got injured in the process too. Almost everyone, not just nylander, were pretty disappointing that particular game.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
We'll have a better idea where he stands during training camp. Hopefully he'll be over his injury by then.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Nylander playing one disinterested game plays into his whole scouting narrative, that's why people are seizing on it.

Lots of gifted wingers play disinterested from time to time. We might have one. What matters is whether he's good enough to be a difference maker enough of the time when conditions are right. That's a question we'll know more about after, say, 30 games in Rochester. If he looks disinterested half the games but puts up 25 points somehow, he'll be up in Buffalo soon.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005

Pre-pre-season, and you are already pulling the disinterested card?

My goodness

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Nylander playing one disinterested game plays into his whole scouting narrative, that's why people are seizing on it.

Lots of gifted wingers play disinterested from time to time. We might have one. What matters is whether he's good enough to be a difference maker enough of the time when conditions are right. That's a question we'll know more about after, say, 30 games in Rochester. If he looks disinterested half the games but puts up 25 points somehow, he'll be up in Buffalo soon.

Narratives are driven from data points. There are plenty of data points that suggest that Nylander will underperform his draft slot, and some that suggest he won't. I love the way his skill flashes at times, but a guy with skill like that should be more involved in the game. I also don't believe his development has been impeded. I don't think that the SHL (certainly not the OHL) would have been a better place for him to develop than the AHL. I just think he might not be that engaged as a player and that development isn't a factor. In the handful of Amerks games I watched last year, his physical size didn't concern me nearly as much as his tendency to float and give up on pucks. It's not like he got outmuscled in a bunch of battles, he just got outworked. I'm not sure the weight room can fix that. To put a point on it, Danny Briere was probably the best board battler I've ever watched, so size isn't the only factor here.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Narratives are driven from data points. There are plenty of data points that suggest that Nylander will underperform his draft slot, and some that suggest he won't. I love the way his skill flashes at times, but a guy with skill like that should be more involved in the game. I also don't believe his development has been impeded. I don't think that the SHL (certainly not the OHL) would have been a better place for him to develop than the AHL. I just think he might not be that engaged as a player and that development isn't a factor. In the handful of Amerks games I watched last year, his physical size didn't concern me nearly as much as his tendency to float and give up on pucks. It's not like he got outmuscled in a bunch of battles, he just got outworked. I'm not sure the weight room can fix that. To put a point on it, Danny Briere was probably the best board battler I've ever watched, so size isn't the only factor here.

Maybe the reality is.....he just isn't very good?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I am not worried at all about a kid who was drafted 14 months ago.

That being said, as far as effort level (strictly talking effort), i'd rather he turn out to put in an effort every game like E. Kane as opposed to say a Satan or Kovalev.

And hopefully put up offensive numbers better than all of them.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Take it for what it's worth, but they used to use the same language about his older brother...

https://thebloggerstribune.com/2017/05/16/william-nylander-is-on-the-verge-of-superstardom/

Early in the season, William Nylander looked ‘lost’, ‘disinterested’, ‘soft’ according to many blowhards on both TSN and Sportsnet. They were set to trade him away for a second paid defenseman. Our very own Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. Fast forward to today and William Nylander is over in Cologne, Germany dominating the World Championship and showing everyone that this season was just the beginning. He’s proving that the Leafs would be foolish to trade him and that he’s ready to be the Jagr to Auston Matthew’s Mario Lemieux.

Look around - there are plenty of comments and posts about William with the exact same criticisms. Kid's 19. Lots of offensively gifted players who have dominated at lower levels need some time to "get" the pro game.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I like how people are pouncing on me like I have some sort of agenda or "narrative". I don't think I've made a single post about Nylander since he was drafted, how about we take the tinfoil hats off and relax a little bit. Holy cow.

I kind of assumed he saw more than half a game before getting injured in the tourney, so that's my bad.

I asked if it's just a matter of time before things clicked with him... I'm getting the impression that's the stance people are taking. Probably would've been sufficient to just say "yes" and move on.

Last edited:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
disinterested means he hasn't earned a roster spot call-up in the NHL until he figures that out first

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I probably look disinterested all the time at my job. I still get it job. Sure, the company may not pick me in the first round, but I'd be a third round steal. ;)

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I like how people are pouncing on me like I have some sort of agenda or "narrative". I don't think I've made a single post about Nylander since he was drafted, how about we take the tinfoil hats off and relax a little bit. Holy cow.

I kind of assumed he saw more than half a game before getting injured in the tourney, so that's my bad.

I asked if it's just a matter of time before things clicked with him... I'm getting the impression that's the stance people are taking. Probably would've been sufficient to just say "yes" and move on.

But you said this, which is why people are pouncing.

I was excited when he seemed like he bulked up quite a bit over the offseason... but bulking up doesn't matter all that much if he just plays disinterested. I get they are just little tournaments and camps thus far this offseason, but a young guy with a lot left to prove should be balls to the wall every opportunity he gets to show off to the powers that be

Which is based literally on nothing.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Take it for what it's worth, but they used to use the same language about his older brother...

https://thebloggerstribune.com/2017/05/16/william-nylander-is-on-the-verge-of-superstardom/

Look around - there are plenty of comments and posts about William with the exact same criticisms. Kid's 19. Lots of offensively gifted players who have dominated at lower levels need some time to "get" the pro game.

In all honesty, it's likely that he needs time to develop how to be more active at all points of the game. Both Nylanders were likely so skilled that they never had to "try" very hard against kids their own age.

Some may take that as a knock against them - which IMO is a valid criticism

Eichel gets criticized from time to time for "floating" / "looking disinterested" mainly because of his skating power (it makes him look like he's floating). But in reality he is still learning how to be active defensively.

I've criticized Nylander a bunch recently because I want to see more of a kill shot from him. He gets a bit of a pass playing as an 18 year old in the AHL -- it's a big adjustment. Watching him heavily at the Harbor Center last week made me want more from him because I think he should have been the first or second most skilled player on the ice in that game (Hischer). At the end of the day it was a pre pre season game.

I've Been a big advocate for having Alex be sent to Rochester at the start of the year under almost any circumstance to start the year. Not necessarily for the "disinterested" look, but rather production. He put up what 30 points in 70 games in Rochester last year? The Amerks were bad but should be solid this year. Let him put up at or near a ppg for the first 35 games or so and give him injury call ups later in the year.

Playing 100+ total games in the AHL can only help Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad