Alex Mauer DMCA Poop Storm

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I don't know the full extent, but apparently, music composer Alex Mauer (a female composer, to clarify) got angry when she got her music removed from the game. In a move of pure spite, she started a DMCA strike that would make Daddy Derek Savage of "Cool Cat Saves the Kids" blush. She started targeting anybody that had her music, the game that featured the music, even featured the game. She targeted several dozen YouTubers. It gets worse. The original game designer has decided to sue Alex (with YouTube's favorite copyright lawyer, Leonard French, as the developer's legal team). Wait, it gets worse. She even threatened YouTuber SidAlpha with a death threat. I will not show you the video, but I have seen the evidence for myself.

0b66179aa6d4088790a21a2f35675436a0d34690280824ae2046c28016cf82b8.jpg

It's scary what happens online. I hope I never become like this Alex Mauer. I will stay away from her twitter account. Let's all think and pray that cooler heads prevail in this tense situation.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I don't know the full extent, but apparently, music composer Alex Mauer (a female composer, to clarify) got angry when she got her music removed from the game. In a move of pure spite, she started a DMCA strike that would make Daddy Derek Savage of "Cool Cat Saves the Kids" blush. She started targeting anybody that had her music, the game that featured the music, even featured the game. She targeted several dozen YouTubers. It gets worse. The original game designer has decided to sue Alex (with YouTube's favorite copyright lawyer, Leonard French, as the developer's legal team). Wait, it gets worse. She even threatened YouTuber SidAlpha with a death threat. I will not show you the video, but I have seen the evidence for myself.

It's scary what happens online. I hope I never become like this Alex Mauer. I will stay away from her twitter account. Let's all think and pray that cooler heads prevail in this tense situation.
That's false.The ********* started because Alex Mauer felt that she didn't receive enough compensation for her work and that she still owned the music she composed for the game Starr Mazer: DSP.Imagos, the company that made the game and who employed Alex Mauer had her sign a contract that says specifically that any music she composed for them belonged to them.

Basically she started to DMCA any videos on Youtube that contained footage of the game because it contained music that she composed and so felt that she had the right to stop people from using it in their videos.Her original and dumb plan in doing so was to get people mad at Imagos for the DMCA take downs and extort those Youtubers or else she wouldn't lift the take downs.Of course that didn't happen and now everyone is mad at her.

It's been getting uglier every passing day since she is getting death threats and she has sent out death threats herself.Specifically to a Youtuber named SidAlpha who was the one who started covering this whole thing.Alex Mauer is clearly unhinged and needs medical help.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The internet is way too reactionary, people need to exercise some self control and not lash out any time theres some drama or controversy. I really hope these are just kids doing this stuff and not grown adults or Im nervous for the future of humanity.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
That's false.The ********* started because Alex Mauer felt that she didn't receive enough compensation for her work and that she still owned the music she composed for the game Starr Mazer: DSP.Imagos, the company that made the game and who employed Alex Mauer had her sign a contract that says specifically that any music she composed for them belonged to them.

Basically she started to DMCA any videos on Youtube that contained footage of the game because it contained music that she composed and so felt that she had the right to stop people from using it in their videos.Her original and dumb plan in doing so was to get people mad at Imagos for the DMCA take downs and extort those Youtubers or else she wouldn't lift the take downs.Of course that didn't happen and now everyone is mad at her.

It's been getting uglier every passing day since she is getting death threats and she has sent out death threats herself.Specifically to a Youtuber named SidAlpha who was the one who started covering this whole thing.Alex Mauer is clearly unhinged and needs medical help.

Well... that's a poorly thought out idea.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Well... that's a poorly thought out idea.
Her plan is even worse now that Youtube has actually gotten evolved in this whole mess.Because of the sheer volume of take downs and channels hit by it, they had to take action because it's obvious that the system is being abused more than ever before.

She even took down a video of an interview she agreed to do for a guy.That person is totally out of control.

"Alex Mauer has been issuing DMCA strikes to far more people than we had first been led to believe. Over 60 YouTubers have been targeted as well as a still as yet to be determined number of Twitch Streamers. Over 70 DMCA strikes have been filed or attempted by Alex Mauer."

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Her plan is even worse now that Youtube has actually gotten evolved in this whole mess.Because of the sheer volume of take downs and channels hit by it, they had to take action because it's obvious that the system is being abused more than ever before.

She even took down a video of an interview she agreed to do for a guy.That person is totally out of control.

"Alex Mauer has been issuing DMCA strikes to far more people than we had first been led to believe. Over 60 YouTubers have been targeted as well as a still as yet to be determined number of Twitch Streamers. Over 70 DMCA strikes have been filed or attempted by Alex Mauer."

Wow that's a lot of false DMCA strikes :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This whole story has been brutal to follow. This is a very public mental breakdown, and it sucks. I don't know what else to say about it, it sucks. Every single aspect of this story sucks.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
We might get some get some normalcy. SidAlpha, one of the first YouTubers to announce the poopstorm, has posted a YouTube video that Alex Mauer is getting some help.

While a lawsuit is still happening, this lady is getting the help she needs. Thank God, or whatever higher power you believe in.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Paradoxically I'm confused by the clarification...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Why are the attorneys involved posting YouTube videos? This is almost too bizarre to believe. Feels like viral marketing.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
This sounds like a Youtube based soap opera
Which is how so many people treat life. We live in an age where people are taught that if there isn't constant drama going on in your life you are doing something wrong.

Maynard Keenan sums up my thoughts about **** like this pretty well.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The Madness continues.

"Alex Mauer has returned from her involuntary psychiatric hold and has picked up right where she left off."

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Sorry for comment spam, but we have some news:

• Apparently, Alex's YouTube channel has been shut down. She put up the same music that she was putting DMCA's, and somebody decided to DMCA the music. Irony can be so rich.
  • Apparently, she was sending DMCA to to River City Ransom Underground. Steam didn't believe it and said to stop otherwise she would be banned from Steam. Alex fired back by saying this is a hiccup in the system. :facepalm: Alex, Digital Homicide called. They said stop before you get yourself into infamy Hades.
  • I searched her Twitter page, and it doesn't EXISTS! I am not kidding. It says "This page does not exists." Or something to that effect. Maybe the poor reception is too much for her.

I hope that brings thing up to speed.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm assuming that this behaviour isn't characteristic of Alex? That this is a mental health meltdown from someone who needs help, and not an ******* that finally got burned pushing things too far? If so, I hope the necessary help will be there, and that the legal consequences won't be too grave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad