Player Discussion: Alex Killorn

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Definitely Killorn. At least Callahan tries.
Killorn is still a 40 point player which is far more valuable than Callahan. And when you argue which contract is worse it depends on whether you look at it long-term or short-term as Killorn's is much longer but his salary is also less.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Killorn is still a 40 point player which is far more valuable than Callahan. And when you argue which contract is worse it depends on whether you look at it long-term or short-term as Killorn's is much longer but his salary is also less.
40 point floater vs 25 point penalty killer, take your pick

This year looks like Killorn won't hit near 40

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You actually think Killorn was "great" the first 2 months of the season? Talk about the overuse of a word.

He was on the 3rd line producing at 0.6PPG, killing penalties and creating chances, what did you expect? All star production from a 3rd liner?

Relative to his role and cap, yes he was pretty good and a contributed his part to the early season success.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yzerman’s made some great moves but bridging Kucherov and signing Killorn to that contract instead of locking Kuch up long term was a huge mistake.

As far as Killorn’s vs Callahan’s contract is concerned Killorn’s is much worse for us at this point. Depending on cap growth, contract demands, and how he’s playing by then we may need to trade Cally with retention or buy him out before the final season of his deal in order to resign everybody, but he isn’t going to kill us longterm. Killorn’s deal will be hurting us for years to come unless we can somehow find a taker and convince him to agree to a trade.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yzerman’s made some great moves but bridging Kucherov and signing Killorn to that contract instead of locking Kuch up long term was a huge mistake.

As far as Killorn’s vs Callahan’s contract is concerned Killorn’s is much worse for us at this point. Depending on cap growth, contract demands, and how he’s playing by then we may need to trade Cally with retention or buy him out before the final season of his deal in order to resign everybody, but he isn’t going to kill us longterm. Killorn’s deal will be hurting us for years to come unless we can somehow find a taker and convince him to agree to a trade.

You lock up Kucherov two years ago he's making 3 or 4mil more than what he is now and walks at 30 or 31. We will have him now from 20 till 33 or 34 which will be his best years. Killorn is still somehow producing which is kinda what he does, suck most of the year but still put up 0.50 ppg and then up that in the playoffs. It's 2 years to long but not a killer.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

What? Do you understand the reasoning behind the Kuch bridge deal? In no way will that signing ever be considered a mistake considering the team makeup and goal at the time.

Few people liked the Killorn signing at the time but it's not an severe over payment nor is it cap crippling, it's 4.45m not 8.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Killorn is fine. He does this year after year and always manages to get near .5 PPG. Few will care or remember his funk once he snaps out of it

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Killorn’s contract is not a problem at all. He is a .5 PPG complimentary forward that can move up and down the lineup. I’d like to put him with Kuch and Stammer ... I think he would fit in well there. Nobody would be complaining about his point totals and we’d calling Vladdy a bust ... it’s more about usage than actual skill set and contract. He is not being paid like someone who can lead his line anyways. That he hasn’t been used there on the first line at all is odd ... since he is better than Kunitz for example. In general I’m looking at forward pairs and then plug in the third forward in the line as needed. To start the season was looking at something like this for example.

X - Stammer - Kuch
Palat - Johnson - X
Killorn - Point - X

That he is been used on the third line it points to me that Cooper trusts him to be more of a defensive role. But .5 PPG from the third line is pretty good production. I don’t mind the term either ... as long as Killorn can go Super Saiyan in the playoffs moving forward I see no reason to worry about his contract.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Killorn’s contract is not a problem at all. He is a .5 PPG complimentary forward that can move up and down the lineup. I’d like to put him with Kuch and Stammer ... I think he would fit in well there. Nobody would be complaining about his point totals and we’d calling Vladdy a bust ... it’s more about usage than actual skill set and contract. He is not being paid like someone who can lead his line anyways. That he hasn’t been used there on the first line at all is odd ... since he is better than Kunitz for example. In general I’m looking at forward pairs and then plug in the third forward in the line as needed. To start the season was looking at something like this for example.

X - Stammer - Kuch
Palat - Johnson - X
Killorn - Point - X

That he is been used on the third line it points to me that Cooper trusts him to be more of a defensive role. But .5 PPG from the third line is pretty good production. I don’t mind the term either ... as long as Killorn can go Super Saiyan in the playoffs moving forward I see no reason to worry about his contract.
Killorn is by no means better than Kunitz. Or Peca/Callahan for that matter. I guess he's better than Paquette and Bournival.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Few people liked the Killorn signing at the time but it's not an severe over payment nor is it cap crippling, it's 4.45m not 8.

Is it crippling? Probably not. Would we be much better off having that cap space to keep Gourde around long term, or to strengthen our D-corps, or any number of other uses? Yes.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Worry about the term later. His pay is fair for what he brings. Yzerman has shown the ability to move contracts in the past, so the term isn't so scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad