Alex Kerfoot vs Will Butcher

Platypus420

Nov 2, 2013
Devils needed Defenseman, plus are loaded with center prospects. Let's not forget they were both finalists for the Hobey Baker Award and Will B won it over Kerfoot , that should tell you something right there

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Devils needed Defenseman, plus are loaded with center prospects. Let's not forget they were both finalists for the Hobey Baker Award and Will B won it over Kerfoot , that should tell you something right there

Please explain? That award is pretty broad to my understanding.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
For the Devils, Butcher. In a vacuum, it's probably a wash.

Would consider "neither" if that were an option (kidding, slightly)

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
In a poll like this one I lean towards the forward, there's 12 spots on a NHL roster for forwards and 6 for defenders (ignoring scratches of course).

It's much more difficult to crack a NHL-level defense and even harder when your physical tools are lacking so you have to make up for it in smarts.

Both are long shots, but I think Kerfoot is just a bit closer towards making a NHL dent than Butcher is.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Also wondering about Poink(or whoever the rangers signed a few months ago..)

Is he just as good?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

The HB doesn't matter for future projection. It takes into account more than hockey.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Interesting when comparing them to see that Butcher actually scored more goals than Kerfoot over their first 3 seasons in college. Though Kerfoot did have more of a breakout season his senior year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Not to nitpick, but Kerfoot was a top 10 finalist. The top 3 finalists were Butcher, Reece and Vecchione.

Funny how the Metro division ended up with all 3.

For perspective on where the Flyers fans voted Vecchione for their prospects, he was voted #20 and that does not include goalies. So he would be #22-24 really.

On the flip side, Reece was voted Pitts #3 overall prospect.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Of course you would.

Homerism is not even involved here. Pionk is legit and can play in the NHL next season, Kerfoot and Butcher really aren't ready. Pionk is a much better skater than Butcher and better defensively while also being offensively gifted. Not saying he'll be some amazing defender but I see him as a future 4/5 while I doubt Butcher becomes anything more than a 5D if he even sticks in the NHL. Kerfoot I really cannot see upside in and while I like him much more than Butcher I still take Pionk fairly easily over him, didn't really even truly breakout until last year, no outstanding skills

What NHL franchise do you scout for? Just curious.

you don't have to be a scout to simply watch games of prospects and tell who is better..include Pionk in this poll and he'd be winning

Toasterleavins*

Jan 23, 2013
Hackettstown NJ
Homerism is not even involved here. Pionk is legit and can play in the NHL next season, Kerfoot and Butcher really aren't ready. Pionk is a much better skater than Butcher and better defensively while also being offensively gifted. Not saying he'll be some amazing defender but I see him as a future 4/5 while I doubt Butcher becomes anything more than a 5D if he even sticks in the NHL. Kerfoot I really cannot see upside in and while I like him much more than Butcher I still take Pionk fairly easily over him, didn't really even truly breakout until last year, no outstanding skills

you don't have to be a scout to simply watch games of prospects and tell who is better..include Pionk in this poll and he'd be winning

It's notoriously hard to project players at this age, let alone defensemen. Pionk could very easily win such a poll... which I think is worth about as much as the finest outhouse wallpaper you can buy.

And this thread is about Kerfoot and Butcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad