Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk: Time to loosen the restraints?

What should be done with Alex?

• Play him at Centre, let him do his thing

Votes: 121 73.8%
  • Trade him now for whatever

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Stay the course

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Who cares? He's a bust

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Very early in Bergevin tenure? Year 2 I think, it was definitely a legit rumour.
I don't think any rumor involving Evander Kane and the Montreal Canadiens is legitimate.

For an organization obsessed with optics and perception...Evander Kane, more specifically, the Evander Kane of 4-5yrs ago would be the complete opposite of what they want in their players.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
I think Bergevin values Galchenyuk more on the trade market than on his own team. Apparently, Chucky has been on the market for over a year now and Bergevin's asking price is very high... yet, his role on the team doesn't quite match this value on the market.

Fails to sign Markov and Radulov, trades Sergachev, refuses to play Galchenyuk at C yet has a high asking price for possible trades, yet picks up Valiev due to abysmal OD. Is Valiev expected to make the team or just a project for trade bait? Is there an anti Russian bias in the organization or is just circumstance? Yes I know Galchenyuk is American born not but is Russian by blood.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think any rumor involving Evander Kane and the Montreal Canadiens is legitimate.

For an organization obsessed with optics and perception...Evander Kane, more specifically, the Evander Kane of 4-5yrs ago would be the complete opposite of what they want in their players.

Yet Vanek, Radulov, Drouin also all had poor reputations and we still traded/signed them.

One thing to keep in mind is Dudley was GM or assistant GM for Atlanta when they drafted Kane. So he might still be high on him and be pushing for it.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Yet Vanek, Radulov, Drouin also all had poor reputations and we still traded/signed them.

One thing to keep in mind is Dudley was GM or assistant GM for Atlanta when they drafted Kane. So he might still be high on him and be pushing for it.
Oh god. Dudley is such a dinosaur. Him advising Bergevin is like the blind leading the blind
Everyone in management must go

Reactions: dralaf

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

First of all...just want to make sure that i point out that I've always found the perceptions around Kane overstated and for very complicated but obvious reasons (same perceptions that plagued Subban when he was a Hab).

But the perceptions about him were different than the players you mentioned...so I don't think it's comparable.

Also we were talking about rumors linking Kane to the Habs 4-5yrs ago....

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Do you think he's given him the ideal opportunity at C since his arrival? Is it normal that Drouin gets instant C even though he hasn't played the position and did not have a successful year? I have no doubt Bergevin played a bigger role in this but I can't absolve Julien.

It's not impossible that Julien just sold out for the guaranteed 5x$5M. He may have been instructed that Bergevin had the final say on everything, including deployments and assistants.

If he accepted these conditions he sold his credibility. If he didn't in advance and accepts it regardless, he sold his gonads. Either way it stinks.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If that's the case, we need to stay away.

The last thing we need is another one-dimensional offensive winger that requires significant sheltering to achieve mediocre numbers. We've hit our quota with Galchenyuk and Drouin.
That's shortsighted. Galchenyuk has all the tools you'd want in a player, if we say a player has Galchenyuk like tools, it's because his offensive bag is diverse, he can dangle, he can shoot and he can pass, but he's firstly a shooter.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Yeah, lets slow down. He has similar tools, but he didn't score 30 nor does he have the one-timer Galchenyuk possess.
I mean, Galchenyuk has a good shot and one timer but he’s not really a sniper. How many times have we seen him snipe this year? He misses the net a lot.

He’s hit 30 once and has primarily been a 20-goal scorer.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Yeah, and context doesn't matter one bit, right.
What context? He has a good shot but he’s just not a sniper. He can surely snipe but not on a regular basis... He’s a good complimentary offensive player and powerplay weapon but he’s not a sniper.

Would you place him among the Tarasenkos, Kessels, Laines, Kucherovs, Boesers?

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
In 82 GP 19G 32A 51 PTS +/- of -31

Last 20 GP 7G 10A 17 PTS +/- of -4

Well at least the last quarter of the season was on an upnote for Chucky.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
In 82 GP 19G 32A 51 PTS +/- of -31

Last 20 GP 7G 10A 17 PTS +/- of -4

Well at least the last quarter of the season was on an upnote for Chucky.

I still think he's got a lot of untapped potential. From day one, put him in the top six (preferably at center) and with good linemates (Scherbak + one of Gallagher, Hudon, Drouin, and at worst Lehkonen) and put him in his office on the 1st wave of the pp and he could be at least a 65 or 70 point player - at least.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I still think he's got a lot of untapped potential. From day one, put him in the top six (preferably at center) and with good linemates (Scherbak + one of Gallagher, Hudon, Drouin, and at worst Lehkonen) and put him in his office on the 1st wave of the pp and he could be at least a 65 or 70 point player - at least.

That would have made sense 40 games ago, 20 games ago, last 5 games.

Sometimes common sense isnt so common.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
"How to ruin a 3rd overall pick". Written and edited by Marc Bergevin. In collaboration with Michel Therrien and special contribution by Claude Julien.

I have to say, Julien, if anything, has helped make Galchenyuk more complete. The kid has improved defensively. And a lot of credit goes to Galchenyuk and Julien.

Ideally, I'd rather have Galchenyuk at center, particularly over Drouin, but I'm fine with Galchenyuk on the wing. The way he played from mid-season to the end was the Galchenyuk pre-knee-injury. And he played that way on the wing. So I'm okay with him there.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Kots 2.0.

Sucks habs got a 3rd pick in one of the crappier drafts. Even the top 2 guys busted. Hopefully this draft is better.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Pacioretty gunna be traded this summer and Galchenyuk will be #1 LW. Finally getting top minutes and opportunities consistently. You saw what he was doing when Patio went down.

Ya'll gunna get that production you're clamoring for, don't you worry your pretty little bonnets.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Pacioretty gunna be traded this summer and Galchenyuk will be #1 LW. Finally getting top minutes and opportunities consistently. You saw what he was doing when Patio went down.

Ya'll gunna get that production you're clamoring for, don't you worry your pretty little bonnets.

And what about his defensive game?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
And what about his defensive game?

No faith in the coaches to continue working that? Alex is still weak defensively but he isn’t the gong show he started the season as.

Anyhow, in all seriousness, provided Drouin isn’t his center, they can balance the line with a defensively responsible winger and/or center. Look how Drouin’s defensive game improved with Byron and Gallagher as his wingers.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
yup, on such a great offensive team like the Habs, a team that scores at will, an offensive powerhouse... THAT's what matters with Galchenyuk, how good he'll be defensively.

more defensively responsible 20 pts forwards like Lehkonen, less Galchenyuk!! :nod:

You guys seriously don't get it...

You could get 50 points and be a beast and you could get 80 points and be complete trash!

You win games by outplaying your opposition not by getting individual points.

You can score 3 goals but if you end up with a -2 when the game ends it means you allowed 5!

So who the heck cares about your 3 goals? You're still a nuisance.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You guys seriously don't get it...

You could get 50 points and be a beast and you could get 80 points and be complete trash!

You win games by outplaying your opposition not by getting individual points.

You can score 3 goals but if you end up with a -2 when the game ends it means you allowed 5!

So who the heck cares about your 3 goals? You're still a nuisance.

You could score 0 goals and end up a plus 20. You'd be the best player ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->