Alex Chiasson Part II

BigBush*

Presumably, your third is:

Prince - Pageau - Lazar

So, you are in essense saying that Lazar is significantly better than Michalek and Chiasson, or in one case he and Prince are significantly better than them.

So far, Lazar really hasn't proven to be better than Michalek (certainly has the potential to be, but not yet imo), and while I agree he's been better than Chiasson, I thought Chiasson looked every bit his equal on a line with Pageau the other night.

Heck, we could even do this:

Prince - Smith - Michalek and keep Chiasson- Pageau - Lazar together as they looked dynamite as a unit against a strong Nashville team.

I just think if you put Puempel-Smith-Chiasson together, you end up with 3 guys who simply aren't complimentary to one another. It might work as a crash and bang line, but don't expect them to enter the zone with control, or drive possession too often. They also don't make for a particularly enticing defensive unit imo.

I like Pageau and Lazar as the make up of our 3rd line. they can be trusted to log tough minutes against good competition because they are good defensively and dont get hemmed in their own zone too often. I'd be open to Michalek or Prince on their wing.

The best our 4th line looked last year was Puempel-Legwand-Chiasson. I'd like to give that another shot (at some point) as i feel Puempel may be a better fit on the 4th line with these guys then Prince

I'd be open to the bolded suggestion,but I dont have a lot of faith in Chiasson. I think that line looked dynamite more so because of Pageau and Lazar, and it helped that Chiasson had one of his odd few games. I'd rather see Michalek get more ice time then Chiasson, every night.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I like Pageau and Lazar as the make up of our 3rd line. they can be trusted to log tough minutes against good competition because they are good defensively and dont get hemmed in their own zone too often. I'd be open to Michalek or Prince on their wing.

The best our 4th line looked last year was Puempel-Legwand-Chiasson. I'd like to give that another shot (at some point) as i feel Puempel may be a better fit on the 4th line with these guys then Prince

I'd be open to the bolded suggestion,but I dont have a lot of faith in Chiasson. I think that line looked dynamite more so because of Pageau and Lazar, and it helped that Chiasson had one of his odd few games. I'd rather see Michalek get more ice time then Chiasson, every night.

Deal breaker. I am not trading back for Legwand :(

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ryan - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Zibanejad - Michalek
Hoffman - Lazar - Chiasson
Paul - Z. Smith - Neil

- since we really haven't seen Chiasson make any good shots on net or score a lot with his shot & only really see him score goals in front of the net, I propose we put him on a line with Hoffman who shoots a lot & Chiasson can look for & put in the rebounds. They should be able to play off each other & Lazar can be a bit of a setup man since he has some playmaking ability & good vision.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
One of the real bright spots of the season has been Chiasson's play IMO. Our third line has looked really good the last few weeks and he's been really effective all season along the walls, mucking it up in front of the opposition's net, and has shown some real jump in his skating. Nice to see him improving and contributing in a meaningful way. Would love to see him score more often, but he's doing a lot of little things right every shift and has been a solid pro for us. I have been hard on him in the past but credit where it is due - kid is playing good hockey right now.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
One of the real bright spots of the season has been Chiasson's play IMO. Our third line has looked really good the last few weeks and he's been really effective all season along the walls, mucking it up in front of the opposition's net, and has shown some real jump in his skating. Nice to see him improving and contributing in a meaningful way. Would love to see him score more often, but he's doing a lot of little things right every shift and has been a solid pro for us. I have been hard on him in the past but credit where it is due - kid is playing good hockey right now.

Agreed. His play is by far the biggest suprise to me. He's playing with some fire.

If that third line continues to develop chemistry, we could be in for a treat.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Him and Michalek with Pageau is perfect. Board work is awesome, I never understood how some were saying Chiasson was losing puck battles, I think he's one of our best players along the boards. Really like his play this year, glad I've never been one of his doubters. I think he can be an excellent 3rd line player. Obviously not what you'd like in return of a #1 center but I like Chiasson, big body working hard going to the net

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Definately. I criticized him during the summer a lot. But this season he has played very well. Really like all aspects of his game this season. He has energy, seems faster (not behind the play often like I think he often was last year). He has skill and jam.

He is probably our most improved player with Cowen.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I wouldn't say he's been good all season, but the last few weeks he's been much improved, to the point where he's an asset to the bottom six rather than just being a spot. If he keeps it up I'll be singing his praises.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Him and Michalek with Pageau is perfect. Board work is awesome, I never understood how some were saying Chiasson was losing puck battles, I think he's one of our best players along the boards. Really like his play this year, glad I've never been one of his doubters. I think he can be an excellent 3rd line player. Obviously not what you'd like in return of a #1 center but I like Chiasson, big body working hard going to the net

Ok...
What you are saying about him is more what he should be than what he really is.
I will say his last couple of games have been better than the sample before.
Winning battles .. he won a couple last night. I find he gets pushed off and loses too many for his size. Count them. I think he loses his balance too easily. I do not think he is one of our better players on the boards. He should be. He isn't . Lazar, Pageau, Smith, MM, Stone, Zib, Turris are all better on the boards and coming away with the puck.
He very rarely finishes his checks on the boards when applying pressure on the forecheck. Pageau does this more often. He should finish at least one check a game, and for his size he should make one good hit a game.. He doesn't. His play making is 3rd/4th line calibre.

IMO he should never play ahead of Lazar in the lineup unless Lazar is hurt.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Ok...
Winning battles .. he won a couple last night. I find he gets pushed off and loses too many for his size. Count them. I think he loses his balance too easily. I do not think he is one of our better players on the boards. He should be. He isn't . Lazar, Pageau, Smith, MM, Stone, Zib, Turris are all better on the boards and coming away with the puck.
He very rarely finishes his checks on the boards when applying pressure on the forecheck. Pageau does this more often. He should finish at least one check a game, and for his size he should make one good hit a game.. He doesn't. His play making is 3rd/4th line calibre.

He has definitely been better than Lazar thus far

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
:shakehead No He Hasn't

Yes he has. Lazar's very few decent scoring chances came in 1-2 games, one being the latest.

Chiasson has had several as well as setting up plays for teammates.

Don't think we are watching the same game. Lazar was lackluster to start the year up until this past game.

Chiasson is doing pretty much everything being asked of him, I don't get it. He is playing like he should be.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Funny that he was mediocre for 90% of the year in 14/15 and yet he still put up 26 points, while this season he's been playing awesome and has a measly 2 points in 13 games.

Shows you how little stats reveal about a players value to a hockey team.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Funny that he was mediocre for 90% of the year in 14/15 and yet he still put up 26 points, while this season he's been playing awesome and has a measly 2 points in 13 games.

Shows you how little stats reveal about a players value to a hockey team.

Was thinking about how quickly his offensive expectations have changed from a couple seasons ago when he'd tease with 6,7 goals in the first 10 games. There was hope for a top 6 player then now he has settled into a bottom 6 role likely for good.
If he just works on his quickness then the bad penalties should fall away and the rest of his game should come together. He could be a good player for us.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It looks like he has found a home on the 3rd line ,now its up to Lazar to play his way somewhere:handclap:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Ok...

Oh man, I disagree about Zib, Smith, Lazar and Turris being better along the boards. Strongly disagree. Turris is an excellent player but if he has one flaw in his game it's strenght, he gets pushed off rather easily. Smith Lazar and Zib aren't better than Chiasson "along the boards" either. Smith man...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yes he has. Lazar's very few decent scoring chances came in 1-2 games, one being the latest.

Chiasson has had several as well as setting up plays for teammates.

Don't think we are watching the same game. Lazar was lackluster to start the year up until this past game.

Chiasson is doing pretty much everything being asked of him, I don't get it. He is playing like he should be.

There's a very strong argument that he has, IMO.

Oh man, I disagree about Zib, Smith, Lazar and Turris being better along the boards. Strongly disagree. Turris is an excellent player but if he has one flaw in his game it's strenght, he gets pushed off rather easily. Smith Lazar and Zib aren't better than Chiasson "along the boards" either. Smith man...

I get I have a lot of opposition on this, and his upswing in play in the last couple of games does work against me. But I am not as high on him as y'all.

Yup in the last couple Chiasson has had some good offensive looks. I agree. His overall game IMO is not on par with Lazar's. I would trust Lazar to protect a lead late over Chiasson as an example. Lazar finishes his checks a lot more often. So while neither scores ... I like the guy finishing his checks.

I agree Chiasson spends time along the boards and tries to dig the puck out. He probably does this more often than some of the names I mentioned. I just do not think he is all that effective at it. Turris may not grind but he has quick sure hands that can pick the puck out of skates. Even slightly framed Turris does finish his checks sometimes. More often than Chiasson.

We won't likely agree ... And I am lonely on this side of the fence but ... Its what I see. I admit he has improved his play in the last couple I hope that trend continues.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Think I have to agree with SoA again. Chiasson does spend time on the boards but doesn't seem to come out the puck too often. I think he may be improving at that not sure.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I get I have a lot of opposition on this, and his upswing in play in the last couple of games does work against me. But I am not as high on him as y'all.

Yup in the last couple Chiasson has had some good offensive looks. I agree. His overall game IMO is not on par with Lazar's. I would trust Lazar to protect a lead late over Chiasson as an example. Lazar finishes his checks a lot more often. So while neither scores ... I like the guy finishing his checks.

I agree Chiasson spends time along the boards and tries to dig the puck out. He probably does this more often than some of the names I mentioned. I just do not think he is all that effective at it. Turris may not grind but he has quick sure hands that can pick the puck out of skates. Even slightly framed Turris does finish his checks sometimes. More often than Chiasson.

We won't likely agree ... And I am lonely on this side of the fence but ... Its what I see. I admit he has improved his play in the last couple I hope that trend continues.

Don't get me wrong I do agree I would trust Lazar with a lead before Chiasson. I pretty much agree with what you're saying, I just think Chiasson hasn't been really bad since being here and people are too hard on him sometimes. That's just me. That being said "along the boards" I really like his game, of course, like you said he needs to improve in other areas but I like his work ethic and he seems like a good guy. I love his style of play and he's quite physical too.

Xamar*

Is this Chiassons usual hot start? Or will he ride his good play all throughout the season?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So doing a health check on Chiasson.

Is everybody still at the same place on him or has their been any shifts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad