Alex Bourret

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think this was a classic case of an organization not understanding the player they drafted. He was extremely young, in a non french speaking environment and needed time to make ALL of those adjustments. I think Atlanta management layed a big egg with making a quick decision on this player. How you discard a 20 year old 1st round pick 3-4 months into his 1st pro season is amazing. The little I saw of him he impressed the hell out of me. This was an outright steal for Sather & Co. Anytime you can ship out a 3rd-4th line UFA for a 1st round pick is gold. It has been written in NY that if the NYRs did not make the trade to move up that year he was the player they were going to select.

Agreed. From the reports we heard of him from scouring the net, he was never able to make the adjustment but he never really had people around him to help him. Sort of left by the wayside to figure it all out himself.

Not only not understanding him, but a really bad job by the minor league team in handling him as well.

Lux Aurumque*

Agreed. From the reports we heard of him from scouring the net, he was never able to make the adjustment but he never really had people around him to help him. Sort of left by the wayside to figure it all out himself.

Not only not understanding him, but a really bad job by the minor league team in handling him as well.

I dont know where you're getting this "Noone around him" garbage. Look at the AHL's top scorers, now look at how many of them played for the wolves.

'Nuff said.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
All us Ranger fans are glad Alex is out of your system, too. Hope you enjoyed Pascal Dupuis. Bourret and Avery on the same team? Cool.:handclap:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I dont know where you're getting this "Noone around him" garbage. Look at the AHL's top scorers, now look at how many of them played for the wolves.

'Nuff said.

And the Wolves are a AHL team that is geared to WIN and not necessarily to develop tons of prospects.

That's how they've always been and why they are actually a pretty big draw in Chicago.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Two things I'd like to state:

1.) The Thrashers also got a third-round pick in the deal. For a mid-first rounder who'd fallen out of favor with his prior organization, a third-round pick and a UFA third-liner isn't a bad return. Even if Dupuis leaves, we still have a decent draft pick to show for it.

2.) Before Ranger fans fall all over themselves in a tizzy over Bourret any further, let's see what the kid does in the NHL before declaring this a steal. Believe me, as a Thrasher fan I'm all too familiar with minor league phenoms that turned out to be useless in the big leagues. We've only been around for eight years but we've had plenty of these types of players pass through our organization.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
All us Ranger fans are glad Alex is out of your system, too. Hope you enjoyed Pascal Dupuis. Bourret and Avery on the same team? Cool.:handclap:

Mark my words : If these two play together they are going to piss off and be a pain in the ass of a lot of teams.Those who don't have a, let's say Chris Neil, to take care of these guys are going to have an hard time to deal with a duo like that.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
2.) Before Ranger fans fall all over themselves in a tizzy over Bourret any further, let's see what the kid does in the NHL before declaring this a steal. Believe me, as a Thrasher fan I'm all too familiar with minor league phenoms that turned out to be useless in the big leagues. We've only been around for eight years but we've had plenty of these types of players pass through our organization.

...and how about we see what Bourret can do at the NHL level before Atlanta fans label him a bust? It goes both ways.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Which is interesting, because every AHL coach I've talked to has said his number one priority is to develop players for the next level and winning is secondary.

The Wolves were an independant team for years and had a winning history when they were in the IHL. Upon the folding of the IHL they still continued to win and now they have an agreement with Atlanta that Atlanta can send prospects there and the Wolves continue to have a VERY strong veteran presence and continue to be a very good, winning organization that puts fans into the seats.

Most GMs will tell you that their AHL team is a developmental team but you have to face reality that not all of them are.

A team like the Wolf Pack which are, I believe, owned by the New York Rangers are a PURELY developmental team with very little veteran presence. The kids are given most of the ice time and the vets that are actually on the team are there to help the kids along.

Look at that Chicago team and try and tell me it's a purely developmental team. It isn't and it never was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->