alex bourret vs andrew cogliano

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Totally different players.

Bourret is a wrecking ball with a scoring touch and has upside comparable to Raffi Torres, Martin Lapointe and perhaps Claude Lemieux in his day. A very valuable physical role player on a scoring line or a key piece of a checking line.

Cogliano has a higher offensive ceiling, but is more one dimensional. Think of players like Geoff Sanderson, Mike Johnson and Brian Gionta. Great wheels and motor.

Bourret has had some weight issues in past, but overall, might be the safer pick of the two. Cogliano has some truly great upside though and is more likely to crack 70-80 points in his prime.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I'm not sold on Cogliano's offence translating to the NHL level, but his skating will make him an excellent penalty killer, and he's already pretty good defensively. I see him as more of a Todd Marchant type than a Steve Sullivan. Still a usefull player though.

As for Bourret, I haven't seen him play much since he was drafted, so it's tough to say, but I've always liked his game. I have a bit of a soft spot for skilled players who love to hit (heck, even the not so skilled players who love to hit) though, so I'd probably take him.

hab

Jan 19, 2006
I would probably lean more towards bourret simpley because he is physically ready,

but cogliano might have better offensive upside

Transported Upstater

Should be on Poll forum, and these two players are EXTREMELY different.

OT: arrbez, what was the first time you got crabs? :D

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
It's a fun comparison nonetheless. This board has gotten WAY too uptight over comparisons. It seems that if two players aren't carbon copies of each other, then the comparison is baseless.

espo*

It's a fun comparison nonetheless. This board has gotten WAY too uptight over comparisons. It seems that if two players aren't carbon copies of each other, then the comparison is baseless.

I was thinking the same thing,why do players have to have exact styles(and some guys demand they have to be the same size physically too!!)to discuss what player you would prefer?

I actually find comparisons of players who are very similar to be kind of boring really.If they are so similar,what's to nit-pick about?

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
I was thinking the same thing,why do players have to have exact styles(and some guys demand they have to be the same size physically too!!)to discuss what player you would prefer?

I actually find comparisons of players who are very similar to be kind of boring really.If they are so similar,what's to nit-pick about?

Good point... sometimes it's just "if it was your turn to pick, who would you rather have"?

I think these comparisons go better when you have 2 unique players, as opposed to 2 future power forwards, or 2 small skilled centres.

As for who I'd pick? Bourret's history of weight problems bugs me... that's the kind of thing that could be destined to repeat itself. Some times bad habits creep back in, and it's hard to be an NHL'er if you are out of shape... I'd be leery of that.

As for Cogs, I don't think he'll be much of an NHL goal scorer, but he should be an effective player because he has great wheels and can do everything at full speed (which is the key, there have been lots of fast players who were busts, but not all of them could play the game at a high speed).

There will always be room in the NHL for a big guy who loves to through the body around, and there will always be room for the guys who can just play any role so in that regards, they will both get plenty of chances.

My homer pick goes to cogs though ;)

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Question of style... but I just love Bourret... he just won't quit... gota love that kid... for points only take andrew...but for everything else there's Bourret.... then Master Card:D

vbet*

Doing some research Alex Bourret sounds like a fun guy to have. Cogliano sounds like a fast forward to watch (like we need more of those). He can stay in College and have fun, we don't need him for a few years. We can't even find places for a few that should be in the NHL this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad