Ales Hemsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
For all the critics out there who said this guy will be a bust.... you should be watching him closely this year. The offseason last year helped him out so much. He's such a dangerous slick player out there... some of the sickest moves in the NHL.

Might be too early to tell, but i'm predicting Hemsky to become one of the elite players in the new NHL :)

reciprokal

Jul 20, 2005
Hong Kong
Dabomb said:
For all the critics out there who said this guy will be a bust.... you should be watching him closely this year. The offseason last year helped him out so much. He's such a dangerous slick player out there... some of the sickest moves in the NHL.

Might be too early to tell, but i'm predicting Hemsky to become one of the elite players in the new NHL :)

a bust?....where did you get that from?.... IMO Hemsky is one of the underrated young talents out there. He is far from being a bust. Sure he didn't have a great season in 03/04, but people forget the fact that he was playing on 3rd line and got really limited powerplay time. Currently he is going to have a breakout yr. If he continues to develop gradually, he will eventually become a star.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
MANY MANY posters on here did... said he never shoots the puck... he's too soft of a player.. u name it

He's certainly shutting up his critics this year tho

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
Dabomb said:
MANY MANY posters on here did... said he never shoots the puck... he's too soft of a player.. u name it

He's certainly shutting up his critics this year tho

he never had critics

quit being a drama queen

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
oilers_guy_eddie said:
There were lots of critics, although you'll have a hard time finding them right now.

I think most anybody who watched last year realized that it was MacT's bad judgement and not neccessarily his play.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Legionnaire said:
Nor do I.

Interesting stat though, he leads the league in turnovers. But yet is still top twenty in takeaways.

Yeah that's an interesting stat, where did you get it ?

As for Hemsky, he's a world class talent, no surprise he's finally blossoming into a very good offensive player. He should be a top-6 forward for years.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
I think most anybody who watched last year realized that it was MacT's bad judgement and not neccessarily his play.
Well, I won't bother searching through old threads to single out HF members.

One guy I will single out, though, is Glen Healey, who talked a load of smack about Hemsky on a TSN broadcast earlier this season. Which is pretty hilarious, considering Healey is even ****ier as a broadcaster than he was as a goalie.

Hemsky, at 22 years and 4 months, is good at his job.
Glenn Healey hasn't been good at any job he's held since he was a paperboy.

momentai

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
Interesting stat though, he leads the league in turnovers. But yet is still top twenty in takeaways.

Yeah Hemsky tends to get these little moments where he tries to drive into the offensive zone one a 1 on 3 and, thus, turns the puck over. Those kinds of turnovers don't really affect the team all that much but they do pad the turnover stat. Also, he tends to hold the puck longer than most of his teammates and gets into situations where he loses the puck as he is converged upon.

At least these are all in the offensive zone instead of the defensive zone turnovers which almost always lead to a goal against.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Well I heard the criticisms on him before (i.e. too soft, doesn` shoot) but in all honesty I can`t recall anyone saying he would bust. I thought he`d turn out to be an Andrew Cassells ish type of player, those players that expansion teams always plug in the first line for temporary production. It looks like now he`s going to be a bit more than that and silencing his critics. Good for him, he`s one of my favourite players from that draft year.

Transported Upstater

oilers_guy_eddie said:
Well, I won't bother searching through old threads to single out HF members.

One guy I will single out, though, is Glen Healey, who talked a load of smack about Hemsky on a TSN broadcast earlier this season. Which is pretty hilarious, considering Healey is even ****ier as a broadcaster than he was as a goalie.

Hemsky, at 22 years and 4 months, is good at his job.
Glenn Healey hasn't been good at any job he's held since he was a paperboy.

Healy singlehandedly dumbs down every TSN broadcast he does. I think TSN keeps him on simply for comedic value.

sidelines

Yeah, like someone else said the reason Hemsky has so many turnovers is he tries to create something out of nothing going into the offensive zone. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does, this kid is amazing to watch (ie. When Hemsky went in 1 on 2 in the Calgary game on Friday and undressed Warrener (I think) to get a shot on goal) His speed, I have noticed, has also improved a lot this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he was the fastest Oiler on the team.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I think it should also be noted that Hemsky has improved his defensive game as well. He kills penalties and is even out in the last minute of 1 goal games. Something that you could not say last season.

He is a new player it seems. Since he has joined the number 1 line he has gained confidence and is playing great. I think perhaps his biggest improvement might be that he uses his speed a lot more this year. Very fun watching this guy play.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
oilerlova said:
I think it should also be noted that Hemsky has improved his defensive game as well. He kills penalties and is even out in the last minute of 1 goal games. Something that you could not say last season.

Not to mention blocking shots. My jaw hit the floor the first time I saw that, but he keeps at it.

As for Hemsky's critics, I'd say most of them were Oiler fans.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Offensive players, especially playmakers, will always be high in giveaways. As long as they're not bone-headed defensive zone blunders that stand out it's all good.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
oil slick said:
In the top ten we have Iginla, Jagr, Pronger, Kovalchuk, Gomez.

I'll take that company :).

You can be very effective while having giveaways. Most of the players on that list create offense... when you do that you sometimes give the puck away.

Yeah sorry. It wasn't any dig on him. Just an interesting stat I came across.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
AskMe
I find Hemsky an incredibly frustrating player.
He's incredibly talented, and can make the most impressive of plays seem effortless. Shooting/Skating/Playmaking/On-ice vision... he has it all.

Sometimes it seems like he can do absolutely anything he wants... other nights he's completely invisible playing a soft perimeter game and seems uninterested.

He's extremely talented, and extremely inconsistent. I don't know what to think of him.... some nights I swear he will be a perennial Art Ross threat, other nights I'm convinced he will never put it together long enough to consistently top 60pts a season.

Hemsky drives me crazy trying to figure him out.... but I'd absolutely kill to have him on my team. Hemsky gets a ton of credit for his offensive abilities, and I'd still say he's underrated. He can practically skate through an entire team and dismantle the defence singlehandedly at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->