Prospect Info: Aleksi Heponiemi (2017, #40 overall), Kärpät (Liiga)

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
Calgary signed Gawdin. He's 7 points behind his total from last year in 26 fewer games.

Heponiemi is in his 2nd season, Steenbergen and Gawdin are in their 4th seasons. That says all you need to know. It's absolutely Heponiemi driving that line, no question about it.
right calgary. whatever, point was he got a contract. but anyway the fact steen and gawdin are overagers has nothing to do with hepo driving the play. that just means hepp has more potential. if anything the fact they're overagers makes it more likely they're driving the play, not less. but yea what I said stands. hepos driving it for the simple reason he's got more points on the same line by a decent margin. plus he just looks better in all the highlights of their plays together. steen is just a bulldozer with a shot and some decent moves. hepos the wizard with all the highlight reel looking plays.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
well the good news is its a 19 game point streak now. the bad news is the historic season may be in jeopardy as steenbergen lef in the 2nd period last game and didnt return. oh well. if its serious at least we'll see what hepos really made of.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
well the good news is its a 19 game point streak now. the bad news is the historic season may be in jeopardy as steenbergen lef in the 2nd period last game and didnt return. oh well. if its serious at least we'll see what hepos really made of.

He hasn’t been setting up Steenbergen as much lately anyway, but they’re still a good trio.

Btw, didn’t you say no one outside Ontario watches the OHL, but it seems like you’re following the WHL pretty closely? :laugh: ;)

Last edited:

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
That scoring pace is just unbelievable. Marner having 116 in 57 games with very stacked line. Now Hepo is outscoring him by mile. Crazy player

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
That scoring pace is just unbelievable. Marner having 116 in 57 games with very stacked line. Now Hepo is outscoring him by mile. Crazy player

Different leagues though, pretty important to recognize. Historically, I think WHL has had higher scorers. OHL is a tougher league.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
You're right, I might be thinking of the Q.

The Q is no defense league -boat race league. Offensive numbers there don't always translate (see : Alexandre Daigle).

The WHL is known as grown man child hockey. Kelowna Rockets have history of developing Dmen into pros. Not easy league at all to score in. The OHL has developed a large group of star forwards into NHL traditionally.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Says he is surprised if he is not at least playing in the AHL next season.
As a player drafted out of the CHL (that wasn't on "loan" from Europe, not sure if the CHL has fixed that loophole already or not), Heponiemi is ineligible to play full-time in the AHL until 2019-20 when he turns 20. He can join Springfield on a tryout after his junior season is over, that's the only way for this and next season.

Also IIRC if Hepo signs his ELC (which he hasn't, yet), the Panthers are forced to offer him first to the Broncos, even if they want him to play in Europe.

Reactions: Depch

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Is he eligible to play in KHL, SM Liiga, or SHL? That's where he needs to be. Junior hockey will stall his development. I don't care how small he is. He needs better competition asap.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
the only good thing to come out of him getting stuck with the broncos would be imagining how disgusting his stat line will look next year. could set the all time records. always fun :)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
He can't play in the WHL again if he continues his scoring pace. It would make no sense. Nothing would be gained from it.

He needs to put on weight which he'll do a bit of over the summer but we can at least give him a roster spot like we did with Tippet for some time so he can be in the right position to put on weight. If he can't put on enough weight and physically handle the NHL game he needs to play professionally in Europe

Reactions: Chaos2k7

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
once we sign him, if we have to offer him to the broncos first can we just pay them a bit to say no so he can play in europe? vinny can slip them a little something under the table :laugh: europe would be the best situation for him. even though i prefer him playing on smaller ice, especially at his size he'll need to know how to get by with less room, but competition wise europe would be the best. either way i dont expect him here that quickly. his dvelopment and skill look awesome, very promising, if he has to play another year in the whl before going to the ahl then its not the end of the world.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
another 1+3 night for hepo. this is getting sick. whats the point streak at 22 games? mental. 2.5 ppg avg. such a shame he missed 11 games. i wanted the assist record to come down.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
anybody know why he missed the last 2 games? injured again? really hope his tiny frame isnt getting him into trouble...

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
anybody know why he missed the last 2 games? injured again? really hope his tiny frame isnt getting him into trouble...

I think his arm split in half! :sarcasm:

He’ll be fine, every player gets injured at some point or another.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
lucky calgary. i originally thought steen and hepo were propping him up but he did major damage without them. he looks like the real deal. lucky calgary. why cant the panthers ever sign good undrafted players? do they just not wanna come here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->