OT: Alberta has a syphilis problem

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Heard on the radio yesterday that this is becoming a serious STD problem in the province. Don't people wear condoms any more?
In 2015 there were 365 cases. In 2020 there were approximately 2500 cases ("reported" cases... number are probably higher). Half of those cases were in the Edmonton area. Calgary had about 16%.
So far this year in the first quarter there were 765 cases in the province. If that trend continues the province will see about 3000 cases in 2021.
Case numbers haven't been this high since the 1940's
Wear a condom folks.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
It’s not just lack of condoms, STI’s are blood and body fluid exposure infections. With a rise in needle usage, you’ll see a rise in STI’s as well. This is part of why free clean needle campaigns are run

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
How does syphilis of all things break out during a pandemic?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The funniest thing I see on Social media is people looking for cheap likes slamming the UCP for this outbreak.
Like... does the government need to walk you along by the dick for you to understand using protection and not sharing needles is pretty straight forward.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Not many read the articles about it clearly, but the major rise in Cases is attributed to meth users (yes, really.) I would say you should be extremely careful if you are an Edmontonian meth user who also has casual sex, and just regular old careful for mostly everyone else.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Can you get syphilis from watching the Flames?
If you're still watching the Flames play you are likely a die hard and most likely sitting by yourself.
Last I heard you can't get syphilis from self abuse.... although maybe you can in Edmonton.

Reactions: DFF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad