Recalled/Assigned: Albert Back To St. Johns

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Wright is likely back.

I said this in the IceCaps thread, but it fits well here too:

I saw this... This whole Albert v O'Dell thing puzzles me more and more with time.

O'Dell gets one game and Albert goes back down?

Even weirder to me is that Albert was supposedly called up over Eric because the team's true need was on the 4th line - and O'Dell was better suited for #4C.

...yet when O'Dell finally did get called up, Albert was moved to the wing and O'Dell slotted in at #4C.

Odd odd odd.

Sorry for the semi off topic rambling.

Related:

O'Dell's line got caught out there a couple times with ugly D zone shifts and collected a minus, but I thought he looked sharp in the offensive zone. One game is not near enough sample, but I remain optimistic about O'Dell in the NHL.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
Can I get a refund for my Skills Competition ticket tonight? Why would anybody attend without Albert there? ;)

jetkarma*

Perhaps with the AHL break they foresaw this as a better time for O'Dell to be up than before when St.J was still playing?

Small minutes in the NHL or bigger more quality time in the AHL , with the break maybe they see this as an opportunity to play and practice for a player that does both need and deserve some NHL time while not taking away the development time they want/wanted for him?

citizenmundane

Nov 3, 2013
Sweet Jeebus. Why is it so difficult for Noel to shift Thorbum back to the 4th line? Doesn't want to hurt his wittle fweelings? Slap O'Dell on that Olli line, it might actually lift them out of the crap hole they've been in for the last several games.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Albert has a long way (if ever) before he is NHL ready, speed, size, hands and just about everything else will work against him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Albert has a long way (if ever) before he is NHL ready, speed, size, hands and just about everything else will work against him.

Albert is 26/27 years old and a 3rd/4th liner at best at the AHL level. He was never more than a replacement player at very best. It was PAINFULLY obvious how overwhelmed he was with the NHL game. Wish the best for him, he works hard, but will never be an NHL player. He can probably earn a solid living in Swizterland, Germany, Finland or Sweden (in HockeyAllsvenskan), that might be a better choice for him going foward (probably not good enough for KHL or SHL).

I long for the days when guys like Jones, Pardy, Albert, Gagnon, Jaffray aren't the ones recalled, instead we have solid prospects to recall (ala LA with King, Nolan, Voynov, Martinez, Vey, Toffoli, Jones). LA went through that phase as well while rebuilding (Zeiler, Ellis, G. Gauthier, Giulano, Clarke, Heward, Piskula, Stephenson). Hopefully one day we can get to that level.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Albert is 26/27 years old and a 3rd/4th liner at best at the AHL level. He was never more than a replacement player at very best. It was PAINFULLY obvious how overwhelmed he was with the NHL game. Wish the best for him, he works hard, but will never be an NHL player. He can probably earn a solid living in Swizterland, Germany, Finland or Sweden (in HockeyAllsvenskan), that might be a better choice for him going foward (probably not good enough for KHL or SHL).

I long for the days when guys like Jones, Pardy, Albert, Gagnon, Jaffray aren't the ones recalled, instead we have solid prospects to recall (ala LA with King, Nolan, Voynov, Martinez, Vey, Toffoli, Jones). LA went through that phase as well while rebuilding (Zeiler, Ellis, G. Gauthier, Giulano, Clarke, Heward, Piskula, Stephenson). Hopefully one day we can get to that level.

Lets hope. Was nice to see Albert score a goal in his very first NHL game, scoring even one goal in the NHL is something those of us who played hockey can never say.

Last edited:

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's

Hi Holden,

I see more AHL upside for Albert. He wears an A for the Caps, and when Jaffray hangs it up, I can see Albert with the C. No one works any harder on the team, shift in shift out. Just my opinion.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hi Holden,

I see more AHL upside for Albert. He wears an A for the Caps, and when Jaffray hangs it up, I can see Albert with the C. No one works any harder on the team, shift in shift out. Just my opinion.

If Albert stays around in St. John's, I would have absolutely no problem at all with him being named captain. Like you said he is definitely the hardest worker there is. He tries he damnest each and every shift. Is probably a great leader in the AHL (in fact might be a great leader at the NHL if he had the skill to make it at that level). I have absolutely no problem and in fact would absolutely hugely welcome Albert staying around as an AHLer with the Icecaps. He can lead the players in the neccessary work ethic in the pro game, I would love if he stays in St. John's. My comment was more for HIS well being, he could probably make a better living in those countries than in St. John's.

He just does not have enough natural talent at the NHL level to play this game. He is and will be completely overwhelmed at the NHL level with his skill set. His skating is meh. His positioning is meh at best. His ability to win battles is not good enough. His stick skills (shooting/stickhandling) are not even close to NHL level. His size and strength are not even close to NHL level for a grinder. He is just overwhelmed at the NHL level. I just don't see a 25 year old (I looked it up, he'll be 25 in a couple weeks) suddenly developing the skills neccessary to be effective at the NHL level.

His hard work and skills projecting incredibly well as an AHLer. He is a great bottom line player at the AHL, working his ass off and creating energy on the bottom lines at the AHL level. But even at the AHL level he is not a shutdown player or offensive player. He in an energy player at the AHL level. Most energy players at the NHL level are scorers at the AHL level. Then when they realize they cannot score at the NHL level they work their ass off to be energy or shutdown players at the NHL level. Energy players at the AHL level just cannot overcome their lack of skill to be effective NHL players in any role, there is just so many other more talented players working there ass off as energy or shutdown players at the NHL level.

Maybe if he keeps working he could be a middle 6 player at the AHL level, but his skills at 25 years old just don't seem to project any NHL potential.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Albert can work as hard as possible but his skills are nowhere near nhl calibre and they never will be. Im glad he came up and got a goal but i dont see it ever happening again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad