Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL Affiliates Thread Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Actually the game recap says six PP goals against, which is 'impressive' enough.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well they don't have Kinkaid bailing their *** out for one I suppose.

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
howd helgeson look out there tonight to new jersey ? i missed the game. was surprised to see him get the call up over harrold

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
howd helgeson look out there tonight to new jersey ? i missed the game. was surprised to see him get the call up over harrold

He was fine. Probably called up instead of Harrold because they'll be able to send him back down more easily without having to waive him.

He barely played (~8 minutes) though. Has a huge frame, didn't realize from the AHL highlights I've seen. He uses it too which is nice. Seemed a little bit 'programmed' in the sense that whenever he got lost on the ice, he immediately went straight to the crease to protect it from a forward (even if the closest guy out was several feet away).

Took a bad penalty. Picked up an assist when his shot was deflected by Ruutu.

Overall, pretty good debut. I'd like to see him utilize his mobility a little more (he has some despite his frame) and not sure I really saw him attempt any breakout passes tonight.

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
He was fine. Probably called up instead of Harrold because they'll be able to send him back down more easily without having to waive him.

He barely played (~8 minutes) though. Has a huge frame, didn't realize from the AHL highlights I've seen. He uses it too which is nice. Seemed a little bit 'programmed' in the sense that whenever he got lost on the ice, he immediately went straight to the crease to protect it from a forward (even if the closest guy out was several feet away).

Took a bad penalty. Picked up an assist when his shot was deflected by Ruutu.

Overall, pretty good debut. I'd like to see him utilize his mobility a little more (he has some despite his frame) and not sure I really saw him attempt any breakout passes tonight.

Thanks for the update, saw that he only played 6 minutes wasnt sure if he got benched or not. They should almost call up harrold and then waive him and hope someone picks him up get 800k off the books haha

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Thanks for the update, saw that he only played 6 minutes wasnt sure if he got benched or not. They should almost call up harrold and then waive him and hope someone picks him up get 800k off the books haha

Ha! At this point, that does seem like a reasonable choice. Though, I guess they could also just trade him for a bag of pucks.

More seriously, it seems useful to bring up Helgeson. They need to see what they have with him and with the rest of the D. If Larsson can absorb the PK time and Helgeson can be a physical bottom pair defenseman, that could allow the Devils to not sign a Sal replacement. Not saying the Devis won't go after a veteran D this off-season, just that it might be a different type of d-man.

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
Ha! At this point, that does seem like a reasonable choice. Though, I guess they could also just trade him for a bag of pucks.

More seriously, it seems useful to bring up Helgeson. They need to see what they have with him and with the rest of the D. If Larsson can absorb the PK time and Helgeson can be a physical bottom pair defenseman, that could allow the Devils to not sign a Sal replacement. Not saying the Devis won't go after a veteran D this off-season, just that it might be a different type of d-man.

haha a bag of pucks would be nice! and it would allow scarlett to play with harrold gone! as far as going after d this off season not too many free agents for d or fwds this year... i say we tank and get mcdavid! got a sweet gordie howe hattrick last night and broke is wrist haha im sure hell learn! back on topic, any injury updates from albany ?

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
if only we could win a shoout/OT GAME our record would be far more impressive! damn you curse! ... also noticed it was d man kelly's 3rd straight game missing from action ? with helgeson up with the big club and kelly out there two of our key stay at home d men gone. any idea whats going on with him why hes been out ?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Dag, is the level of play in the echl, even being a pro league with grown men and the whole bit, considered a lower level of hockey then canadian junior leagues?

I suspect the best ECHL team would beat the best WHL team pretty easily simply due to being bigger and stronger.

But Bell is a big guy who was an overager int he WHL, so he probably translates well to the pros.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I suspect the best ECHL team would beat the best WHL team pretty easily simply due to being bigger and stronger.

But Bell is a big guy who was an overager int he WHL, so he probably translates well to the pros.

Actually looked at the Icemen's roster and they had some guys who put up over a point a game in Jr's. So there is at least some good talent down there.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
What's it going to take for Bell to get to Albany? I'd like to see what he can do there and get the chance to compete for a roster spot next year.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
What's it going to take for Bell to get to Albany? I'd like to see what he can do there and get the chance to compete for a roster spot next year.

Realistically, there has to be an extended open spot. Albany already has 16 forwards on the roster, and that's no longer including Bernier. They're not necessarily good players (Wohlberg, Johnson, Janssen and the like), but they do have seniority over a newbie like Bell.

It makes more sense for Bell to be the best player on a god-awful team and play a bunch than it does for him to come up to the AHL and be part of a forward rotation that sees him playing once every 4 or 5 games.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Realistically, there has to be an extended open spot. Albany already has 16 forwards on the roster, and that's no longer including Bernier. They're not necessarily good players (Wohlberg, Johnson, Janssen and the like), but they do have seniority over a newbie like Bell.

It makes more sense for Bell to be the best player on a god-awful team and play a bunch than it does for him to come up to the AHL and be part of a forward rotation that sees him playing once every 4 or 5 games.

Makes sense, thanks.

If he plays pro but not much at Albany, do you think he hurts his chances of getting a look for the NHL next year. Obviously he could always play himself onto the squad but it seems some players have to prove more than others.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Looks like I was someone mistaken, according to ILWT, Kelly Zajac has been sidelined until very recently and Janssen is out with a shoulder injury. That still means Bell would have to fight for a spot, though.

Makes sense, thanks.

If he plays pro but not much at Albany, do you think he hurts his chances of getting a look for the NHL next year. Obviously he could always play himself onto the squad but it seems some players have to prove more than others.

Realistically, I think his chances of making the NHL next season are low enough that a full year in the ECHL won't hurt his chances in the long run. There'll be a spot for him in Albany sooner rather than later, and with a lot of forwards ahead of him, he'll get his chance there to prove he deserves a shot.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Looks like I was someone mistaken, according to ILWT, Kelly Zajac has been sidelined until very recently and Janssen is out with a shoulder injury. That still means Bell would have to fight for a spot, though.

Realistically, I think his chances of making the NHL next season are low enough that a full year in the ECHL won't hurt his chances in the long run. There'll be a spot for him in Albany sooner rather than later, and with a lot of forwards ahead of him, he'll get his chance there to prove he deserves a shot.

Okay. I was thinking that with a number of forwards coming off the books and Bell's tough play and nose for the net he might compete for a bottom6 role.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Okay. I was thinking that with a number of forwards coming off the books and Bell's tough play and nose for the net he might compete for a bottom6 role.

It's definitely not impossible, I just think all of Boucher, Matteau, probably Graham Black, and maybe even Quenneville will be ahead of him on the depth chart next camp.

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009
It might make sense for Bell to stay in the ECHL and play regularly but it makes more sense for him to be in the AHL against better players and better competition. If he's a legit prospect (which I think he is), getting playing time in Albany shouldn't be an issue as he should be in the lineup ahead of career minor leaguers that are just there filling up a roster spot. Sure, Bell might turn in to just another one of those career minor leaguers but you have to give him a shot first and see what you have in the player. It just seems weird that a guy who scored 40+ goals in junior last year and has the traits that might make him at least a legit third or fourth liner in the NHL is playing in the east coast league.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
It's definitely not impossible, I just think all of Boucher, Matteau, probably Graham Black, and maybe even Quenneville will be ahead of him on the depth chart next camp.

I agree with that, but I also feel that 1-2 of them might be traded as part of a deal for a more established NHL forward. Bell's trade value is likely lower and more likely to stay...plus of those 4 he's the only RH shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->