Alan Eagleson officially pardoned, with a twist...

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I wonder if the article is confusing Pardons with Parole? As a Canadian I am shocked that the National Parole Board can give Pardons !!!!

Me too. I wonder if there is some mistake. I've never heard of such a thing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Senator Frank Mahovlich, another member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, attended the court hearings in Boston and expressed concerns at how Eagleson defrauded the players he represented over two decades. "It's news to me, I had never heard this," Mahovlich told the paper.

I'm sure there is someone in Ottawa who has their hands dirty.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if the article is confusing Pardons with Parole? As a Canadian I am shocked that the National Parole Board can give Pardons !!!!

Brad Park made specific mention of the pardon, so they didn't confuse it.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!

"The paper reports that Eagleson avoided a five-year prison sentence in the U.S. in a 1998 plea bargain that allowed him to serve just four months of an 18-month prison sentence in Canada. "

That's pretty much the definition of what a pardon is. I don't know Canadian Law, but for delivering pardons, the Parole Board sounds like just the agency to do so .

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
You know, it's funny, I just finished re-reading the book "Net Worth", that chronicles in excruciating detail how Eagleson and the NHL defrauded players of Canada Cup and pension money for years.
To have this come up is just startling. The Canadian government doesn't seem to take any of this nearly as seriously as the American government, and that's disgusting.

Once again, if anyone hasn't read "Net Worth" by David Cruise and Allison Griffiths, I highly recommend it. One of the best hockey books of all time, and it'll make you re-think the way you may feel about the "good old days" of the NHL.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Once again, if anyone hasn't read "Net Worth" by David Cruise and Allison Griffiths, I highly recommend it. One of the best hockey books of all time, and it'll make you re-think the way you may feel about the "good old days" of the NHL.
Game Misconduct by Russ Conway is a great book as well, he's the guy that completely exposed Eagleson.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
I will never forget one of the very few times I really ever saw Barry Melrose get actually angry on the air and it was when he was talking about the Eagleson affair and it's affect on the players. I think Barry was one of the former players who got swindled under Eagleson. You could see the rage sort of building up in him when he talked about the guy and the whole sorted mess. Really sad for all the players that lost so much and unbelievable how this has turned out.

Wetcoaster

Why is this surprising?

Under the law a pardon is pretty much automatic once you have met the statutory waiting periods under the "Criminal Records Act "
http://lois.justice.gc.ca/en/C-47/index.html

There is little discretion ever exercised to refuse a pardon.

There are limitations to a pardon:

The US and some other countries do not recognize Canadan pardons so if you want to travel to the US and you are criminally inadmissible you need a waiver.

It does not erase the fact that you were convicted of an offense.

Prohibtions imposed as part of the sentence for a pardoned offence such as prohibtions from owning a firearm or driving a motor vehicle are not removed by a pardon if still in effect.

The "sealing of the criminal record" after a pardon only applies to the federal database and not to local court, municipal or provincial databases that record the same pardoned conviction.

Since we share our federal criminal record database (CPIC) with the US authorities now there is nothing that prevents the US from regualrly archiving the CPIC database and referring back to it at some point in the future even for pardoned offenses.

Pardons are revoked automatically if you are subsequently convicted of an indictable offence

Pardons may be revoked (although in practise rarely) for:

Conviction of a summary offense;
You are no longer of "good conduct"; and
You made a false or deceptive statement, or concealed relevant information at the time of the application for the granted pardon.

Wetcoaster

That's disgusting. Just disgusting. No other words for it.
Why? He applied as is his right to do - same as any other convicted person who satisfies the statutory requirements set out n the applicable law.

Wetcoaster

Why??? They are the organization tasked with doing this by the Parliament of Canada. They are a quasi-judicial body and must follow the law as set out by Parliament.
1. Who can grant or issue a pardon?
Only the National Parole Board (NPB/Board) has the authority to issue, grant, deny, or revoke pardons in Canada. The law that governs pardons is known as the Criminal Records Act (CRA).
http://www.npb-cnlc.gc.ca/infocntr/factsh/pardonfaq_e.htm

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
"The paper reports that Eagleson avoided a five-year prison sentence in the U.S. in a 1998 plea bargain that allowed him to serve just four months of an 18-month prison sentence in Canada. "

That's pretty much the definition of what a pardon is. I don't know Canadian Law, but for delivering pardons, the Parole Board sounds like just the agency to do so .

That isn't the pardon. The pardon comes after he's done serving his time. Basically, his record is expunged so it's as if the conviction never occured.

Wetcoaster

That isn't the pardon. The pardon comes after he's done serving his time. Basically, his record is expunged so it's as if the conviction never occured.
No, the conviction for the offence remains. In fact if asked you are required to say you have been convicted of an offense for which a pardon has been granted.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
This is the country where Graham James gets 3 years and David Frost walks free. I can't say I'm very surprised.

Wetcoaster

This is the country where Graham James gets 3 years and David Frost walks free. I can't say I'm very surprised.
Then you know very little about Canada and its legal system.

Unlike the US, Canada's pardon system is not dependant on politics. It is reveiwed and granted by a quasi-judicail tribunal (the National Parole Board) and not a politician.

Meet the requirements set out in the Criminal Records Act and you get your pardon.

Wetcoaster

I'm sure there is someone in Ottawa who has their hands dirty.
Nope, not in the hands of politicians. Pardons in Canada unlike the US are not political.

Meet the stautory requirements under the Criminal Records Act and you get a pardon from the National Parole Board (an independent quasi-judicial tribunal) - no executive discretion by a President or a Governor whether or not to grant a pardon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad