Player Discussion Alain Vigneault Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm listening to the latest 31 Thoughts podcast, and ~16 minutes in, and Friedman mentions something interesting about AV and faceoffs.

He says that AV, for some unspecified stretch of time, had the team deliberately lose faceoffs "because he felt they couldn't win one, so they better start to find a way"

Whatever that quote means. But in the end, it seems like AV and a few other coaches have, at some point, told their players to deliberately lose faceoffs, and it happens way more often than we realize.

Reactions: Phoicon

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm listening to the latest 31 Thoughts podcast, and ~16 minutes in, and Friedman mentions something interesting about AV and faceoffs.

He says that AV, for some unspecified stretch of time, had the team deliberately lose faceoffs "because he felt they couldn't win one, so they better start to find a way"

Whatever that quote means. But in the end, it seems like AV and a few other coaches have, at some point, told their players to deliberately lose faceoffs, and it happens way more often than we realize.

Doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: haveandare

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Or it's just as possible that they only failed to win BECAUSE of him.

Based on what many here are saying about your assessment of the level of goaltending I have to think you just waded into the deep end with deflated swimmies. You tried to analyze, you gave it a shot, no shame in that, but you just didn't have the training or equipment needed

You mean a semi-developed central nervous system?

Reactions: shinchanyo

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I remember a time when I saw tanner glass lining up opposite zucc and thinking to myself...thats the dumbest thing I've ever seen.....and then I saw McLeod lined up opposite zucc.
Well done coach...well done.

Zucc plays more than one shift for sure in an attempt to get some other lines going, but I think AV refuse to bother with lines too much end of this season. We won`t be playing playoffs, and he knows he need to change lines again next game.
It has been a difficult season, but I felt it was always an uphill battle for this team when Stepan was gone, and AV was aware this season will not be remembered in the history books.

AV will get a new job soon in another franchise - I wish him good luck in advance.

Walk With Lias

Sep 18, 2007
Only a few more games left in his tenure.

The day he leaves will be glorious

That day will indeed be......................

bobby-roode-2-696x392.jpg

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Only a few more games left in his tenure.
Maybe it is my natural pessimism of this team making the right choice, but I keep having fears of him being behind the bench next year.

Throughout the history of the franchise, far more often than not, they have made exactly the wrong choice at exactly the wrong time.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Maybe it is my natural pessimism of this team making the right choice, but I keep having fears of him being behind the bench next year.

Throughout the history of the franchise, far more often than not, they have made exactly the wrong choice at exactly the wrong time.
When I complained to Gorton about AV in reply to "the letter" my Rangers season ticket rep took up the response and he actually told me AV wasn't the right coach for young talent lol. So yeah, I think there's a good sense in the organization about the right path forward

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

I don't blame you, but I think that time has come to an end. If McDonagh, Nash, and Grabner were still here, I'd agree with you, but Gorton seems determined to change this organization up.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
JT Miller in 11 games with Tampa. 7 goals, 5 assists. Thanks AV
It has nuclear stretches a few times a year...he also disappears for long stretches and plays abysmal in his own zone. He also seems like a head case...and is probably going to want a ton on his next contract. It is what it is.

Tbh I've really liked namestnikov....hes got a good overall game

.ive liked him a ton more than spooner who had like a billion points...

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The mood regarding AV is too toxic around here to get a level headed response about him from most of the posters here.

I think it’s likely AV does get fired after the season.

He’s a good coach with the right roster who seems to not be capable of tailoring a system to a changing roster. He’s run his course here, but he will quickly find another job and win a lot of games there.

Yeah I've ripped into him hardcore, but I'm not wasting my energy on the guy. You said it exactly the way I would.

It's just reality.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
What kind of a good coach would have the following (and this is actually better than our routine defensive zone play): 3 players focusing on a single player with the puck (R76, R36, R13), a man right open in the slot (W77) and there is actually a clean passing lane for an NHL level talent to that man.

Yes, I know Hayes and Zucc are "looking to break out" - which does not make sense because it is the opposition that has the puck and the momentum for a high danger play. They get taught this crazy overpower-and-break-out system that has been figured out two years ago even by instinct by cavemen in Caps uniforms.

If you look closely you can see that we actually outnumber the Caps 4 players to 3 but the positioning makes it seem like it is the other way around somehow.

And sorry about the image quality - it´s my first try at oil-painting - don´t critique too harshly, I know I have the talent for it :)

lSPV48s.png

Last edited:
Reactions: nyrage

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Idk. If the Rangers played the capitals in the first round, Given this current roster, even if we hired Renney just to FIRE RENNEY! in order to becomes Tort’s kinda guys: part deux, the Capitals would only have to win a 3 game sweep because the Rangers would just forfeit the 4th game.

I mean I know it’s the playoffs “anything can happen”. Well anything can happen includes being demolished.

Luckily we won’t have to do that since this blue turd has been spiraling down the porcelain pee hole for several months.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
What kind of good coach would have the following (and this is actually better than our routine defensive zone play): 3 players focusing on a single player with the puck (R76, R36, R13), a man right open in the slot (W77) and there is actually a clean passing lane for an NHL level talent to that man.

Yes, I know Hayes and Zucc are "looking to break out" - which does not make sense because it is the opposition that has the puck and the momentum for a high danger play. They get taught this crazy overpower-and-break-out system that has been figured out two years ago even by instinct by cavemen in Caps uniforms.

If you look closely you can see that we actually outnumber the Caps 4 players to 3 but the positioning makes it seem like it is the other way around somehow.

And sorry about the image quality - it´s my first try at oil-painting - don´t critique too harshly, I know I have the talent for it :)

lSPV48s.png

Where is the one with the four defenders chasing the puck carrier and leaving the wingers open on the Oshie goal? I can't wait for this clown to be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad