Confirmed with Link: Alain Vigneault fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
From a team that could target AV this summer, what is bad about him?

It was just time. Plus...

His Won/Loss record in his time here was atrocious. His Won/Loss record in playoff series was equally abysmal. Everyone here is in agreement the next coach will win more games and more playoff series than AV's teams did.

As Bill Parcells always says - 'You are your record. Everything else is just noise.'

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Damn firing him at 11pm on a Saturday is cold blooded by Gorton

Was already drinking but I’ll keep going

It was a foregone conclusion, sanctioned by Dolan and ready to be executed by Gorton when the season ended.

He at least waited till they got back to New York and then informed him.

No reason to wait till after breakup day, etc. It was going to happen and I am glad they did it immediately.

Absolutely pumped not only to watch playoff hockey, but for the draft lottery results, the draft itself and the moves we make and eventually training camp.

This is going to be a new start for this team, and I really couldn't be more excited.

LETS GO RANGERS!!!

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Damn firing him at 11pm on a Saturday is cold blooded by Gorton

Was already drinking but I’ll keep going

This is a classy franchise that does things by the book of professionalism except when Glen and Jeff are pissed. They had months to evaluate all memebers of the coaching staff.

I'd bet they were planning on announcing everything tomorrow morning or after media day but AV's comments were loose cannon fodder and made a lot of people angry. It reflected really poorly on the franchise that the HC would openly and unsolicitiedly talk about how Hodgson was a bust that retired at 26, how Vancouver's youth during his tenure didn't amount to anything (therefore VAN was wrong to fire him over his criqitued deployment of youth).

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
They made their call earlier on. Org realizes that they have a cultural issue with a lack of accountability. The last two playoff exits were embarrassing and the trend continued.

Thanks for your service Alain, and best of luck on your next destination. It was time for a change.

He's in a sweet spot where he can collect double the money for not coaching the next two years, but it will be up to him to decide on that. There's very little questioning his employability. He's going to have success in his next spot.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You'll love him for probably the first 2 years, but then it's all downhill from there.

Isn't that pretty much the case with every coach, for every team? Few and far between are the coaches who go out gracefully.

Reactions: bl02

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This is a classy franchise that does things by the book of professionalism except when Glen and Jeff are pissed. They had months to evaluate all memebers of the coaching staff.

I'd bet they were planning on announcing everything tomorrow morning or after media day but AV's comments were loose cannon fodder and made a lot of people angry. It reflected really poorly on the franchise that the HC would openly and unsolicitiedly talk about how Hodgson was a bust that retired at 26, how Vancouver's youth during his tenure didn't amount to anything (therefore VAN was wrong to fire him over his criqitued deployment of youth).

IIRC AV also gave hodgson a ton of shit about his back problems because he didn't think they were a big deal and hodgson was being a wuss, when it turned out he had some serious shit going. Maybe hodgson never amounts to anything but it's also possible AV helped ruin his NHL career

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Good you idiotic bum.

"At the end of the day, for coaches, you have to coach the team you have in front of you,” Vigneault said. “You try and put a system in place that maximizes their talent level and you try to mask or hide the weaknesses and you work on both areas so that your team can improve.”

You played the same exact system for years regardless of the talent...

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Good you idiotic bum.

"At the end of the day, for coaches, you have to coach the team you have in front of you,” Vigneault said. “You try and put a system in place that maximizes their talent level and you try to mask or hide the weaknesses and you work on both areas so that your team can improve.”

You played the same exact system for years regardless of the talent...
I’m still pissed that Yandle was run out of town because the clown coach had no idea how to use him.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
From a team that could target AV this summer, what is bad about him?
I think more than anything he didn’t push players or hold them accountable. He let the guys manage themselves to a large degree, is the sense I have.
Could be completely wrong, but that’s the sense i have.
Also apparenrly he coaches his team on defense to pick up an attacking player and stick with that player. And since it’s not necessarily immediately clear for whom the defender is responsible, they’re often a step late.
Since this defensive system takes time to learn and master, AV wouldn’t integrate new players throughout the season unless completely necessary. So he’d stick very hard with his original roster, come hell or high water. So in that respect he was stubborn.
On the other hand, if a player was in his good graces that player would get a lot of rope and I guess that’s good for some players. He could be considered loyal and stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad