Confirmed with Link: Alain Vigneault fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The current defense is the worst in NHL at the moment compare to other NHL teams, because both DeAngelo & Kevin S. are not strong defensive players.
That certainly is a factor, but one cannot simply dismiss the status as the worst without also addressing the system. It is not a coincidence that the more the names on the back of the sweater change, the mistakes remain the same. Nor is it a coincidence that 3 separate assistant coaches have been brought in to be in charge of defense, but yet the overall strategy remained the same. And the same mistakes were made. Nor is it a coincidence that a player like Girardi looked so lost here, and seems to be a competent vet defenseman elsewhere.

Having Shattenkirk ignore any and all defensive responsibilities does not help. Having forwards forget about backchecking does not help (though is it system created??). However, how many times must we see both defenseman chase a player to a corner and leaving a wide open opposing player to simply have tea and cruise in straight to the goal? First of all, a good coach would not have a system that relies on the goalie to cover up any and all mistakes. Second of all, a good coach would have seen what he has on the roster and adjusted what he does.

This does not even begin to address how many times players were allowed to take second, third & 4th whacks at Henke. That is not a player talent thing. That is very much a message on how to play from the coach thing.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
They did, but yet Boston had their way with them physically. And he actually seemed to discourage any sort of physical play here. Or standing up for your teammates.

Based on his time in VAN and his time here I have to draw the same conclusion. Ill never forget one of the Sedins getting punched in the face repeatedly during a scrum in the finals, and not him or anyone else doing a damn thing about it.

The 2014 NYR team still hadnt lost its mental fortitude from the Torts era, each year the team got softer, frequently blowing multi goal 3rd period leads - something the previous coach's teams never did.

Im tired of seeing our C and Lundqvist taking shots with no response. Im so glad that AV is finally gone and we can bring in a coach that will let his players take a penalty to stand up for each other.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m not trying to stir anything up, but a friendly discussion. And I`m sometimes updated and read about the world news recently, and I usually get worried about FN and their role on this planet. But I think the whole franchise need to be evaluated why we perhaps one time in 7 years (under achieved) and failed to qualify to playoffs hence why Gorton started the process and moved our captain, Ryan near the deadline this year.

Yes, I agree with most of that content and well written @True Blue

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Based on his time in VAN and his time here I have to draw the same conclusion. Ill never forget one of the Sedins getting punched in the face repeatedly during a scrum in the finals, and not him or anyone else doing a damn thing about it.

The 2014 NYR team still hadnt lost its mental fortitude from the Torts era, each year the team got softer, frequently blowing multi goal 3rd period leads - something the previous coach's teams never did.

Im tired of seeing our C and Lundqvist taking shots with no response. Im so glad that AV is finally gone and we can bring in a coach that will let his players take a penalty to stand up for each other.

I think AV's "lean on the vets" system was bad for this. I don't think the Rangers had bad leaders but I think they got a bit complacent with their success and fell back on the "we know what we have to do" mentality and had trouble playing with urgency or things like that. Sometimes you need the coach to really crack the whip and stay on the team to keep up the urgency, but the Rangers fell back more and more into "it's OK we know we're good we just have to play our game" which led to lots of reserved play which is just as bad as soft and casual play

Reactions: Ori

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
AV teams are just soft. He punishes players for taking penalties to the point where they are not supposed to stand up against the opponent and that hurts the whole team. Then obviously the giant hole in the defense which requires an elite goalie to mask the flaws for, the not playing young players, the leaning on veteran players based on tenure, turtling with a lead, and the unwillingness to adapt his system to changing conditions which is his most fatal flaw.

It's going to be very very difficult for Vigneault to ever win a title, I don't see him being gifted the right conditions for it to happen

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think AV's "lean on the vets" system was bad for this. I don't think the Rangers had bad leaders but I think they got a bit complacent with their success and fell back on the "we know what we have to do" mentality and had trouble playing with urgency or things like that. Sometimes you need the coach to really crack the whip and stay on the team to keep up the urgency, but the Rangers fell back more and more into "it's OK we know we're good we just have to play our game" which led to lots of reserved play which is just as bad as soft and casual play

I might be reaching here. By many accounts, he was a hands-off coach who let the leaders and veterans on the team manage the players. So the lack urgency could have been attributed to the captain and core leaders, leading to the ousting of McD and Nash. Besides the other financial, age, and performance factors. Nash was probably the hardest working Ranger on the ice, however. But we know he is a demure guy and that personality didn't get the message to the other guys perhaps.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It will be exciting to see what a new coaching staff can do with this group for sure, and they will be motivated and healthy for a new season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I might be reaching here. By many accounts, he was a hands-off coach who let the leaders and veterans on the team manage the players. So the lack urgency could have been attributed to the captain and core leaders, leading to the ousting of McD and Nash. Besides the other financial, age, and performance factors. Nash was probably the hardest working Ranger on the ice, however. But we know he is a demure guy and that personality didn't get the message to the other guys perhaps.

Yeah that's kind of what I meant. I don't think the leaders the Rangers had were like, slacker leader in name only guys, but they maybe needed someone to help push the team more or keep a sense of urgency instead of complacency, and if you don't have the players for that then the coach should be pushing the players.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

This would be AV’s prime landing spot. Dallas was interested in AV in 2013 but he took the Rangers job. The Rangers would be off the hook for most or all the $8M. Jim Nill and AV worked together in Ottawa in the early 1990’s.

Reactions: egelband

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
From the main board:

Marvel as his team plummets in every meaningful statistical category the longer he coaches them.

Stare in wonder as he benches players in the middle of a 2 G game for an entire period only to watch as grizzled veterans give up the game tying last minute goal...again.

Gawk in wide eyed bewilderment as he gives Beer league superstar Tanner Glass more minutes than top 6, 50+ point players, resulting in the team generating 0 shots on goal in the last few minutes when down a goal.

Use your head as a weapon designed solely for the purpose of shattering plaster as this blithering idiot uses the same system for 5 years regardless of the talent on the team and then claims that he knows his job is to adjust to fit his players.

Get swept up in a world where a D system that requires puck moving talent, speed and coordination is jammed firmly up the ass of a bunch of old, slow, dimwitted, 1 eyed defensemen.

I truly wish Alain Vigneault on my worst enemy, I offer nothing but the harshest criticism I can get away with saying on these boards for him

Thx for taking a giant, bubblegum encrusted **** all over the teams cup chances with your ****ing clown ass turtle strategy in literally every ****ing game.

Thx for trotting the corpse of Staal and whatever the hell holden is supposed to be out there in the final minutes of three different games against Ottawa only to have them give up the game tying AND losing goals. Thanks for coaching hockey like how a blind, cross-eyed, blindfolded water buffalo in the middle of a full blown seizure drives a car.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
From the main board:

Marvel as his team plummets in every meaningful statistical category the longer he coaches them.

Stare in wonder as he benches players in the middle of a 2 G game for an entire period only to watch as grizzled veterans give up the game tying last minute goal...again.

Gawk in wide eyed bewilderment as he gives Beer league superstar Tanner Glass more minutes than top 6, 50+ point players, resulting in the team generating 0 shots on goal in the last few minutes when down a goal.

Use your head as a weapon designed solely for the purpose of shattering plaster as this blithering idiot uses the same system for 5 years regardless of the talent on the team and then claims that he knows his job is to adjust to fit his players.

Get swept up in a world where a D system that requires puck moving talent, speed and coordination is jammed firmly up the ass of a bunch of old, slow, dimwitted, 1 eyed defensemen.

I truly wish Alain Vigneault on my worst enemy, I offer nothing but the harshest criticism I can get away with saying on these boards for him

Thx for taking a giant, bubblegum encrusted **** all over the teams cup chances with your ****ing clown ass turtle strategy in literally every ****ing game.

Thx for trotting the corpse of Staal and whatever the hell holden is supposed to be out there in the final minutes of three different games against Ottawa only to have them give up the game tying AND losing goals. Thanks for coaching hockey like how a blind, cross-eyed, blindfolded water buffalo in the middle of a full blown seizure drives a car.
That's sounds like @Machinehead lol

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
That's sounds like @Machinehead lol
I basically was machinehead 3-4 years ago. Then, after making my hatred of AV known multiple times, I basically couldn't even muster up the motivation to watch anymore because of AV specifically and barely posted here for about 2 seasons. Only this year, when i saw the writing on the wall did I start watching again. i could only just barely manage to stomach watching what i was seeing, knowing it was coming to a merciful end. AV killed my fandom. I went easy on him with my last post. I don';t think a single player went out of their way to publicly say anything nice about supposed "nice fella" Alain Vigneault. I DESPISE him as a coach. He's one of the single worst coaches I've seen in any sport on a professional level here in NY. There are bigger pieces of HUMAN garbage like Isiah Thomas, but I'm hard pressed to think of legitimately worse coaches. He got in the way just enough to choke the cup away and proceeded to decimate what would have been a cup winning team.

The only other coach i see LOSE games on his own as frequently as AV does is Todd Bowles. Fortunately for the Rangers, hockey head coaches have significantly less ability to f*** up a team in each game when compared to a football coach. With bowles, it's MOSTLY ignorance, he's new. I have a lot of tolerance for that.

With AV it's arrogance. If he were superman, the only thing I'd have is Kryptonite to jam down his throat.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Dallas has to give the Rangers some compensation... mebbe. Rangers wet their beak. A little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad