Alain Vigneault Thread

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Off the ice he was a gentleman. He got along well with the media. Good and sometimes self deprecating sense of humor. An all around nice guy by many accounts.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Yep. Everything most of us have felt for the past few years summed up in one post.

I'm starting to feel even worse about the Tampa trade. Namestnikov isn't even in the same stratosphere as Miller. And it seems like AV won out on that one and then he's fired a month+ later???
I was thinking this. There must've been something about Miller. Now we know that the FO was set on firing AV. They didn't make the decision on Miller without knowing AV would be gone in only a few weeks.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
He was a good coach for the Rangers. I think anytime you when more playoff series than years coached, its a good sign. That said, it was probably the right move—entire franchise is moving in a different direction and it stands to reason that would include a different coach.

I think what was his greatest strength in his first season became what he became vilified for—his faith in his system and his faith that the players could flourish in it. The Rangers got off to a terrible start in this first season. Embarrassed on a West Coast trip. He never panicked. He never blamed the players. Or the roster. He stuck to his guns. He was a pillar of consistency. And the players responded.

I think it's actually difficult to take a good team and them make them better. He did it. With class and dignity.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I have to say that I liked him more than I liked Torts in the end. I liked his personality. I didn't care for all his coaching decisions and I don't think he got the best out of his team the last two-three years. I think it got way too comfortable--way too complacent and way too soft. Brooks wrote an article today about Kreider taking a penalty against an opposing player who'd taken a run at McDonagh and AV being pissed about it--he mentioned the Vesey and Staal injuries against Nashville this year where the team did not respond--I agree pretty much with the substance of that article.

But......2014 was the first time we'd been to the finals in 20 years. I think he's a good coach but I don't think the Rangers were the right team for him the last couple years and I don't think they're the right team for him now. I don't feel any animosity towards him and I suspect he's going to get another NHL coaching job fairly soon---so there's no point feeling sorry for him either.

Reactions: bl02

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Great coach for taking a good team and making them very good. Beyond that? Ehh.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Any real fan will be able to look at the big picture of what he did and see him as a good coach that just tailed off in the last few years. He helped us overachieve in 2014, and if it hadn’t been for a freak injury to Zucc in 2015, I honestly think we would have went on to beat Tampa and then the Hawks.

Guess I'm not a "real" fan.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Any real fan will be able to look at the big picture of what he did and see him as a good coach that just tailed off in the last few years. He helped us overachieve in 2014, and if it hadn’t been for a freak injury to Zucc in 2015, I honestly think we would have went on to beat Tampa and then the Hawks.

I think he benefited from inheriting a team that had defense first pounded into them by Torts, strong leadership in the room (Callahan followed by MSL), and strong goaltending. The further the team got away from those things, the worse he looked.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
he had some good looks
nj1If7b.gif

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I just can't get over in his presser, he kept saying how you play with the team you have, how they (he and his staff) always tried to adapt to the opponent, and how they adapted their approach to highlight strengths and mask weaknesses. I NEVER saw that. They ran the same shit every night regardless of opponent or who was on the team. There was one system and we played it regardless of circumstance. When he was saying those things I questioned whether he was present in reality. Amazing.

Torts was stubborn, too. Thing with Torts was he adapted his system when he first came to suit the talent on the roster. He just never made any adjustments from there. So there are some similarities. One difference is that Torts was a dick.

Anyway, arrivederci, paisan.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I just can't get over in his presser, he kept saying how you play with the team you have, how they (he and his staff) always tried to adapt to the opponent, and how they adapted their approach to highlight strengths and mask weaknesses. I NEVER saw that. They ran the same **** every night regardless of opponent or who was on the team. There was one system and we played it regardless of circumstance. When he was saying those things I questioned whether he was present in reality. Amazing.

Torts was stubborn, too. Thing with Torts was he adapted his system when he first came to suit the talent on the roster. He just never made any adjustments from there. So there are some similarities. One difference is that Torts was a dick.

The only time AV ever adjusted anything was if it was working.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I just can't get over in his presser, he kept saying how you play with the team you have, how they (he and his staff) always tried to adapt to the opponent, and how they adapted their approach to highlight strengths and mask weaknesses. I NEVER saw that. They ran the same **** every night regardless of opponent or who was on the team. There was one system and we played it regardless of circumstance. When he was saying those things I questioned whether he was present in reality. Amazing.

One of the worst coaches I have ever seen. Handed talent and squandered it. Awful. I would love to see the Islanders hire him, actually.

His lack of adaptability was laughable.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
So yea zambo, this is our way of saying "**** him, there's not enough good for us to appreciate him over the bad".Not burning his effigy, not hurling batteries at him on the ice. Just airing out frustration on an internet message board (MY GOD HOW DISGRACEFUL!!!) There's literally nothing embarrassing at all about that. You just don't like it. Fine. That's your prerogative
I'm not saying you're doing some grand offense, merely there's countless other threads to talk about his negatives. To do it here says more about you than AV.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Comments that begin with this are always 100% garbage because A) gatekeeping and B) there is literally no such thing as "real fans"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->