Al Strachan's latest whinefest

Status
Not open for further replies.

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
Ola said:
I know that it isn't easy and please don't take it personnal. But me and about everyother fan with a genuine interest in the game knows that Ak Bar Kazan is more of a social project. Please think about it for a second, 5000 in the stands, the price of a ticket around 10 USD, and a 35m USD. You are giving the impression that you belive that AK Bar Kazan somewhat miscalculated last season and had revenues of 1 million USD while paying out 35 million. This might make sense to you right now but in a few years you might look at it from a diffrent perspective.

Ak Bar Kazan is a way to attract quality workers to live in the middle of nowhere. Metal factorys in russia with yearly profits around 600m USD have a few problems, one of them is to attract workers.

And AK Bar isn't alone. A big % of teams in RSL are "factory" teams. This is where they get their money from. Will AK Bar Kazan still pay 35m USD per year next year. No, but I am gooing to insert a probably not. But 5 million ÚSD is enough to build a decent team. So for 10 million USD they can get a avg. team and a 5 million hockey player.

your also forgetting to mention that the reason ak bars kazan spent this kind of coin this year was that it was some sort of centenial birthday for the city thats why the city wanted them to win the RSL championship, so more money was injected into the team, this obviously wont happen every year

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
davemess said:
You have to remember that a lot of players are very happy to get out of Russia and away from their local friendly Gangsters.

Yea a lot of players dont just get out of russia for the money they get out for a better way of life. To hear some of the players talk about their experiences in the other countries, its horrible. I spoke to Jussi Markannen (oilers goalie) the other day when he came to my place of employment, and he played in the RSL and he said it was a terrible experience, one thing that stuck out to me was he said he would never want to a raise a family there, espically if your not russian.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
the contention...

that promising european talent would say no to the NHL because of money is ludicrous.

The money is better or at least similar to europe (similar thats a joke but for arguements sake).

The NHL will be the best league in the world(because of how much they pay and other factros).

You get better when you play against better competition.

Players only have certain opportunites to break into the league, for the vast ammount of players, the window is small (look at St Louis, he just about didnt make it in).

While playing in Russia/Europe they are not becoming better NHL players, so any time spent there wont endear them to NHL scouts.

All of these factors together make it unlikely that top rated talent would take a chance and not jump at the show at the first opportunity.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
coppernblue said:
Yea a lot of players dont just get out of russia for the money they get out for a better way of life. To hear some of the players talk about their experiences in the other countries, its horrible. I spoke to Jussi Markannen (oilers goalie) the other day when he came to my place of employment, and he played in the RSL and he said it was a terrible experience, one thing that stuck out to me was he said he would never want to a raise a family there, espically if your not russian.

Hopefully this will improve over time, but I think this difference is great enough now that it's an often overlooked item. RIP Zholtok.. I wonder what would have happened had he been back here where they had physicians in the locker room and a good hospital right across the street. Darby Hendrickson relayed instructions to the EMTs via a cell phone call to the Wild team doctor back here. That's nuts. And how about Elias? Eating food that's much less likely to have fecal matter in it would be a huge incentive for me even if I ended up making half the salary. These are drastic examples, and maybe they wouldn't affect a young European's decision. But it sure makes me think there's going to be a lot more going through the head of a kid that "how much can I make under the rookie salary cap."

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Ola said:
Originally Posted by Pepper
AK Kazan had a huge payroll last yearand they played for crowds of under 5000, do you seriously expect them to keep that payroll in the future? Extremely unlikely.

Also, why would russian players stay in Russia as that means less money for them in the long term? The quicker they come to NHL, the more they will earn.
I know that it isn't easy and please don't take it personnal. But me and about everyother fan with a genuine interest in the game knows that Ak Bar Kazan is more of a social project. Please think about it for a second, 5000 in the stands, the price of a ticket around 10 USD, and a 35m USD. You are giving the impression that you belive that AK Bar Kazan somewhat miscalculated last season and had revenues of 1 million USD while paying out 35 million. This might make sense to you right now but in a few years you might look at it from a diffrent perspective.

Ak Bar Kazan is a way to attract quality workers to live in the middle of nowhere. Metal factorys in russia with yearly profits around 600m USD have a few problems, one of them is to attract workers.

And AK Bar isn't alone. A big % of teams in RSL are "factory" teams. This is where they get their money from. Will AK Bar Kazan still pay 35m USD per year next year. No, but I am gooing to insert a probably not. But 5 million ÚSD is enough to build a decent team. So for 10 million USD they can get a avg. team and a 5 million hockey player.

But AK Bar Kazan is alone, unless there is another owner who wants to make a big splash about the 500th aniversary of his city. He made it quite clear it was a one year thing.

Next.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Pepper said:
Ummm Al, just because you can't understand it doesn't mean that educated GMs wouldn't be able to comprehend it.

I agree... educated GMs will be able to comprehend it... and I'm sure that Sather will explain it to Lowe so the Oilers won't be severely screwed either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->