Al Strachan doing his best Larry Brooks imitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:
I'm not an Oilers fan, though I like the team.

Oilers are not a big market team, if only big market teams should survive we would have a 10 team league. Is that what you want?

and the other 20 markets will shrivel up ? wont they have enough support and players available to still form a professional league ?

clearly this is not a 10 team market.

dr

GabbyDugan

Jun 8, 2004
Pepper said:
Oilers have lost lots of money in the last 5 years and I very much doubt that Sens made 20 millions in profits in 2003, Bryden would have never sold the team if he had gotten that much money.

Can you show any evidence that the Oilers have lost lots of money in the last five years? Newspaper reports in Edmonton this past weekend said the team made $ 8.7 million in profits in the past six years, and the valuation of the team has gone from $ 68 million in 1998 to $ 104 million in 2004, with a lower and lower debt load every year....where is there"lots of money" being lost?

Rod Bryden never had the wherewithall to be an NHL owner in the first place. He gained control of the Senators and Corel Center with the help of the Ogden Corporation (Covanta) on the junkiest of junk bonds basis. You can't "own" anything unless you put capital into it, and Rod Bryden never could find enough of other people's money to capitalize the Senators and Corel Center properly. He recently had to ask that $ 58 million of his personal debts be forfeited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->