Al Strachan doing his best Larry Brooks imitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Pepper said:
No they couldn't, that's why they had to trade them.
You know what? You just described "can't afford them", just used different words.
In other words they would have had to trade away other players to afford them. Rangers don't have to do that and that's the problem.

The idea I'm putting forward though is that those guys weren't worth what they were making/commanding in Edmonton. If you want to address that, a cap does nothing. If you want teams to be able to wait until a later point before deciding if a guy can be part of a Stanley Cup winner, you go for revenue sharing, not a salary cap. All a salary cap does is break up winners and expensive losers. If Edmonton had thought that Weight was essential to the future success of the team, they could have made other moves to reduce salary elsewhere in order to pay him what he wanted. Obviously Lowe didn't feel that way. Hence, the decision was not that he couldn't afford him, but that he didn't think Weight was worth it. Same process, different names for Joseph.

Hindsight is 20/20, if Oilers have had a choice they would have kept BOTH Weight and Comrie. They didn't have that choice.

They did have that choice. They could have moved Smyth-that alone would likely have cleared enough money to keep Dougie.

Question: In the past 10 years, how many bottom-15 (budget-wise) teams have won the cup? From the top of my head, there's only one (Tampa) and their budget is going to balloon next year even with the new CBA.

Their revenues should though as well. Ever heard of a Cup winner that doesn't jack up ticket prices? They're still a pretty cheap team. As I said above, I think that the pro-union people go too far in saying that no team has ever been broken up for lack of revenue; we haven't seen a truly small market team win post-1994. Tampa may well be a test. As for it being top-15 budget teams who've won, I wouldn't read too much into that. One, I'm not sure if it's true-I'd be surprised if Colorado was a top 15 budget when they won in 1996, same goes for Jersey in 2005.

So you can be a contender but chances of winning the cup are marginal.

So you say...I don't think you've done anything to show that though.

Very weak argument IMHO. I know that teams with smaller budgets have to be more careful with their spending but they are ALWAYS disadvantaged by the financial limits. Whereas Wings can go for the best talent, Oilers will have to settle for best talent/price ratio so they will ALWAYS be compromising.

The thing is, there isn't very much differentiating hockey players outside the top few, who are pretty rare. The Wings spend 3.5 mil on Draper or whatever it is...I'd be shocked if they're getting much better value from him than the Oilers get from someone like Moreau, at 3/8 the price. And Moreau's overpaid in Edmonton too, relative to what he brings. The Wings elite talent is the difference, but as I said somewhere else, they're paying names and not value there as well. It's tough to know one way or another without knowing the revenue a real contender can generate in a small market-something none of us know. Fact is, a lot of times, teams are just paying for a name.

SENSible1*

mudcrutch79 said:
Lowe dropped the ball on that. As soon as he realized that he wasn't going to get anything back to help the team immediately, he should have played hardball. If I was the GM in Edmonton, I'd have just flat out said: "We made an investment in this guy when he used the Van Ryn loophole. You didn't hear me complain then. Trading him for futures is bad for this hockey club. The QO is withdrawn, and he's free to take me up on a 4 year offer for a million per, provided he does it in a summer, as I'm not giving out a year of service time for 10 games at the end of the season. Other than that, he's a free agent in 10 years or so. I'm sure his old man will employ him until then."

I bet you'd find that guys in the future would know that they were bound to the team.

As a Sens fan I'm painfully aware of how well hardball works with athletes. Just take the Yashin example. Bryden makes him sit out the year and they Sens are without a #1 C when they should be competing for the cup. In the end the Sens make a good trade, but Yashin still got his way and forced himself out of Ottawa and into the big contract the Sens couldn't afford.
I think the part about the public thinking hockey players make too much is bang on.
The general public doesn't hate the players for making big money, but they couldn't care less if they make an average of 1.8M or 1.3M. In their minds, both salaries are exorbitant for playing a game.

They also don't care that the owners will make money hand over fist in some markets if they get a salary cap with no revenue sharing.

They just want a league where the owners pocketbooks aren't a determining factor.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Thunderstruck said:
As a Sens fan I'm painfully aware of how well hardball works with athletes. Just take the Yashin example. Bryden makes him sit out the year and they Sens are without a #1 C when they should be competing for the cup. In the end the Sens make a good trade, but Yashin still got his way and forced himself out of Ottawa and into the big contract the Sens couldn't afford.

Yeah, but first he had to honour the year remaining on his contract, IIRC. Not to mention that by showing he wasn't going to back down to the guy, Marshall was able to exert more leverage when naming his price with the Islanders. It's not really comparable anyway, due to the financial issues. Nevertheless, I'll bet every agent in the league took notice of the way that teh Sens dealt with it, and decided that this wasn't a team to mess with. I'd say it benefitted the Sens in a big way, and that's without even looking at the fabulous return it netted them. That problem had nothing really to do with finances-he was 26, and under contract when he held out. That was all about one greedy player. The system worked in that he was forced to play out his contract at the value assigned to it.

Milbury signed him to an absolutely awful deal afterwards, but that was his own fault-the guy's an idiot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
mudcrutch79 said:
I think that the union has a much stronger case than people realize. The NHL blames every crappy team on the financial situation, when, as has become evident to me upon reflection, in many cases it's piss poor financial management that's to blame.

The league-wide losses that Bettman keeps pointing to are meaningless. Why does it matter that St. Louis, Washington and whoever are losing a boatload of money? If that's where the vast majority of the losses are, and it certainly appears that that's the case, then who cares? Teams CAN make money under this if they're run properly. I can see where some form of revenue sharing would be nice in a way, to minimize the ability of rich teams to prey on poorer ones, but really, the setup now isn't that bad for small market teams.

There's a fair point to be made that we haven't seen any championship teams broken up yet for financial reasons. I'm not sure that that's always going to be the case, but no one here can say for sure. I think that with a certain percentage of revenue sharing, the NHL could ensure that that doesn't become the case. But Bettman isn't fighting for revenue sharing, he's fighting for cost controls.

The PA supporters here do have a certain degree of arrogance, but the refusal of the vast majority who are pro-owner to acknowledge that the facts are in many overwhelmingly stacked against the owners is baffling.

None of that is to say that BR should take this post as vindication. Being ignorant and correct on something is no great shakes-even a blind dog finds a bone every so often.

You make some good points. Let me take them on one at a time.

1. not every team is run well. not ever team with money to spend is run well and not every team without money to spend is run poorly. the percentages of run well to run poorly run about the same the rangers and blackhawks are teams with money that can't get out of their own way. on the other hand to blame lack of success in Atlanta, Tampa, Pheonix, Washington, Carolina & Nashville on a history of bad management is a mistake.

2. you don't want to use st louis and washington as examples of why the current "setup isn't that bad for small market teams." in the first place neither st louis nor washington are small market teams in the nhl. st louis qualifies as a big market team. both of these teams are examples of taking the team as far as spending within their means can take them. i could be off by a year or two, but combined those two franchises have missed the playoffs 4 times in the last 20 years. both franchises concluded (st louis first) that the only way to compete was to spend at a level equal to who was winning. that was necessary because both teams had spent the value of making the playoffs with their fan bases. the first round of the playoffs in st louis and washington was just regular season extended. they needed to win in order to avoid losing revenue base. neither has won and the gambles taken to get to the next level has hurt both teams. there is no question that had teams ranked between 11th and 20th in payroll been winning any stanley cups over the last 10 or 15 years that these teams would have continued the route they were on rather than spend. but that wasnt happening either. either you were in the top 10 in payroll or you didnt win.

3. its true that championship teams are not being broken up for financial reasons. of course the reason for that is that all of the championship teams in the last 10 plus years have been teams largely in the top 5 in payroll. Detroit, Dallas, NJ, Colorado. when was the last time any of those 4 teams broke up a team for financial reasons? you only make my point for me. any NHL team that would vulnerable to being broken up for financial reasons has not won a stanley cup in the free agent era until tampa bay won the most recent cup. that team is currently facing a swift jump from well outside top 15 in payroll to well inside the top 10 and that is with MVP/Scoring title winner Martin St Louis currently unsigned. Tampa Bay can not afford a $50m plus team payroll, champs or not.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
mudcrutch79 said:
The thing is, the Oilers could've afforded to keep those guys. They just made the decision that the cost of keeping of them could no longer be justified in terms of the revenues they generated. If they'd felt otherwise, they would have replaced other players with lower cost players. I'd say that the decisions were correct-Joseph was ably replaced by Salo, and Weight would have been quite nicely replaced by Comrie. Obviously, that threshold is going to be lower in Edmonton than it is in a place like Toronto (where they have all sorts of tax dollars funding the team). That said, is the threshold so low that it deprives the team of the opportunity to develop a Stanley Cup contender? I don't think so. The Oilers didn't have enough talent around either one of those guys to be a legitimate Cup contender. If they don't have the other talent, they're smarter to turn those guys into future players, adding to their talent. In a sense operating under financial constraints makes it easier for a team to win-they have to confront these issues. The Rangers pissed around with Leetch and Co. for how long? And why? Because they can afford to.

this edmonton post is great. I like this line best, "In a sense operating under financial constraints makes it easier for a team to win-they have to confront these issues."
Please, show me again in the free agent era which teams have operated under financial constraints and found it not just easier to win, but just plain possible to win. how many stanley cups for those teams??? i am sure i am just forgetting them, but all i remember is rangers, stars, red wings, avalanche, devils...where are those teams with constraints? help me out.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
The point I was making is that a small market team is confronted with the issue of whether or not the team is one that can win the Stanley Cup well before a large market team is. The Rangers are rotten to the core, but because they have buckets of money, they can afford to keep trying to fix it with free agents. If they only had 35 million to spend when they had a bad team, they probably would have blown it up by now, and maybe the fans in New York would have the chance to watch a decent hockey team.

List of drafted players off the top of my head
Stars: Modano,
Devils: Brodeur, Gomez
Red Wings: Yzerman, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Lidstrom
Avs: Sakic, Lindros (turned him into Forsberg), Nolan, Foote
TB: Richards, Lecavalier

Every one of those teams you listed would also be at the top of the list of teams who've drafted well. It so happens that they're big markets, but I think you might be assuming causation where only correlation exists.

SENSible1*

txpd said:
3. its true that championship teams are not being broken up for financial reasons. of course the reason for that is that all of the championship teams in the last 10 plus years have been teams largely in the top 5 in payroll. Detroit, Dallas, NJ, Colorado. when was the last time any of those 4 teams broke up a team for financial reasons? you only make my point for me. any NHL team that would vulnerable to being broken up for financial reasons has not won a stanley cup in the free agent era until tampa bay won the most recent cup. that team is currently facing a swift jump from well outside top 15 in payroll to well inside the top 10 and that is with MVP/Scoring title winner Martin St Louis currently unsigned. Tampa Bay can not afford a $50m plus team payroll, champs or not.

NJ lost Mogilny and Holik for financial reasons. It appears that Neidermayer will be next.

Tampa will follow suit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
mudcrutch79 said:
The point I was making is that a small market team is confronted with the issue of whether or not the team is one that can win the Stanley Cup well before a large market team is. The Rangers are rotten to the core, but because they have buckets of money, they can afford to keep trying to fix it with free agents. If they only had 35 million to spend when they had a bad team, they probably would have blown it up by now, and maybe the fans in New York would have the chance to watch a decent hockey team.

List of drafted players off the top of my head
Stars: Modano,
Devils: Brodeur, Gomez
Red Wings: Yzerman, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Lidstrom
Avs: Sakic, Lindros (turned him into Forsberg), Nolan, Foote
TB: Richards, Lecavalier

Every one of those teams you listed would also be at the top of the list of teams who've drafted well. It so happens that they're big markets, but I think you might be assuming causation where only correlation exists.

I think for some reason there is this false sense that the Washington Capitals somehow joined the ranks of the big free agent buyer teams and the ranks of the big spender/wheeler-dealers. Nothing could have been further from the truth. The Capitals did trade for and then extent Jagr's contract and did sign one $5m a year free agent player, Robert Lang. But that is it. The last time the Capitals made the playoffs, 2002-03, they had 9 home drafted players, plus Calle Johansson who played 15 of his 16 years for the Capitals. Paying your home grown stars is just as expensive as signing them off of other teams.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
mudcrutch79 said:
The idea I'm putting forward though is that those guys weren't worth what they were making/commanding in Edmonton. If you want to address that, a cap does nothing.

That's only your opinion - Oilers weren't even given the choice to make that call.

mudcrutch79 said:
They did have that choice. They could have moved Smyth-that alone would likely have cleared enough money to keep Dougie.

No offense but that's just ridiculous. It's the same net effect, they have to give up one of their best players, it doesn't matter whether it's Smyth or Weight, fact is that they still lose.

mudcrutch79 said:
As for it being top-15 budget teams who've won, I wouldn't read too much into that. One, I'm not sure if it's true-I'd be surprised if Colorado was a top 15 budget when they won in 1996, same goes for Jersey in 2005.

Avs were probably around 15ish, New JErsey was definetly top15.

mudcrutch79 said:
So you say...I don't think you've done anything to show that though..

I think I just did. Last 10 years (under the last CBA), only one bottom-15 team managed to win the cup. That's marginal enough to me.

Brent Burns Beard