Akim leaves team Again

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Nobody here is mentioning the horrible job Foligno is doing in guiding this team and this young man (Aliu). He has a double standard when it comes to anything that has to do with his son. I've heard this entire situation stemmed from a bad penalty taken by Aliu that led directly to a St. Mikes goal. Now if anyone watches the Wolves on a regular basis, you would know there is no one worse at taking stupid, lazy penalties than Nick Foligno, but he is always put right back out on the ice next shift and never benched, reprimanded etc.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Not much detail given, so it's hard to judge. It would take an extreme case for Aliu to fall past the early third, imo, though I wouldn't be surprised if many teams were secretly hoping otherwise.

Roger's Pancreas*

Nobody here is mentioning the horrible job Foligno is doing in guiding this team and this young man (Aliu). He has a double standard when it comes to anything that has to do with his son. I've heard this entire situation stemmed from a bad penalty taken by Aliu that led directly to a St. Mikes goal. Now if anyone watches the Wolves on a regular basis, you would know there is no one worse at taking stupid, lazy penalties than Nick Foligno, but he is always put right back out on the ice next shift and never benched, reprimanded etc.
I can't exactly imagine a scenario where it's a good idea to second guess a coach. Just my two cents...

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I can't exactly imagine a scenario where it's a good idea to second guess a coach. Just my two cents...
Graham James? An extreme example, I admit.

But even in lesser ways coaches and GMs are not perfect and don't always do the right thing. They do, however, have the power to get their way.

Whether and to what extent Aliu is guilty is impossible to say without more information. But the article gives me the feeling that Foligno might be overreacting. I wonder if he took a night to sleep on it before he made his decision?

Roger's Pancreas*

Graham James? An extreme example, I admit.

But even in lesser ways coaches and GMs are not perfect and don't always do the right thing. They do, however, have the power to get their way.

Whether and to what extent Aliu is guilty is impossible to say without more information. But the article gives me the feeling that Foligno might be overreacting. I wonder if he took a night to sleep on it before he made his decision?
That's true, but it isn't an 18 year olds job to tell those people when they're making a mistake. That is for the captain and assistant to do.

Transported Upstater

A few of you are DAMN LUCKY you didn't just get infraction points from me.

Keep it clean, or take it to PM...you know who you are.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You were supposed to answer your clarification as to the contradiction you have made on this point on the Rangers opinions on players with perceived attitude problems.

But I'm sure you'll make a couple more garbage posts attempting to mock me before you get around to actually discussing the point at hand.

Actually, we have Jagr and Avery. They've always had attitude problems.

They certainly haven't been keen on drafting them lately, as you could tell if you took a few seconds to look at our prospect list, but if there's a kid loaded with talent that fell that far, I'd hope they'd pick him in that spot.

It's simple: BPA and you hope you can work out the kinks later. We all know Aliu is skilled. Very skilled. He has a lot of issues, but a good development team (like that of New York's) could really, really rectify his problems as long as he gels with the team.

Umberger was widely disliked by the guys in Hartford. He was lazy, hardly gave any effort in the drills when he was there, etc. He came in with a big attitude and a "better than you guys" view of things. Almost like he was too good to be auditioning for his contract.

While he's doing well now, I still think the Rangers made the best move in not signing him. Might not be the most popular thought, but the guy was simply disliked by the staff and our minor league team. It's just not a good idea to sign a player after a lot of friction has already occurred.

----

I actually made only one mocking post of you but it's simply because of your attitude. My garbage posts are simply in response to yours. You should know that if you talk to me without an attitude, you don't get one back (99% of the time, anyway). Not sure how many times I've ever had a talk with you on these boards, but I assume that you've seen me post enough to know that I'm more than willing to have a conversation. :teach:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
That's true, but it isn't an 18 year olds job to tell those people when they're making a mistake. That is for the captain and assistant to do.

You may be right about that. I can easily believe that Aliu (or any kid) might have done something unwise. But I wonder about the extreme reaction. There are lesser penalties than suspending a player from the team (in his draft year and after the trade deadline, no less).

Otoh, if I knew the story I might think Foligno did the right thing.

For now I am officially uncertain. :)

(my prediction fwiw: Aliu gets picked in the mid 2nd).

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
They certainly haven't been keen on drafting them lately, as you could tell if you took a few seconds to look at our prospect list, but if there's a kid loaded with talent that fell that far, I'd hope they'd pick him in that spot.

It's simple: BPA and you hope you can work out the kinks later. We all know Aliu is skilled. Very skilled. He has a lot of issues, but a good development team (like that of New York's) could really, really rectify his problems as long as he gels with the team.

Umberger was widely disliked by the guys in Hartford. He was lazy, hardly gave any effort in the drills when he was there, etc. He came in with a big attitude and a "better than you guys" view of things. Almost like he was too good to be auditioning for his contract.

While he's doing well now, I still think the Rangers made the best move in not signing him. Might not be the most popular thought, but the guy was simply disliked by the staff and our minor league team. It's just not a good idea to sign a player after a lot of friction has already occurred.

Well it seems to me to be pretty clear than Aliu is similiar to your perception of Umberger in the fact he has a big attitude and is disliked by teammates.

So would I be correct in interpreting that your philosophy with prospects with attitudes is that you are fine with taking a chance on them and have them get a chance with the NHL team and it's ways but that if the prospect shows attitude problems while in the organization he is not wanted?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Well it seems to me to be pretty clear than Aliu is similiar to your perception of Umberger in the fact he has a big attitude and is disliked by teammates.

So would I be correct in interpreting that your philosophy with prospects with attitudes is that you are fine with taking a chance on them and have them get a chance with the NHL team and it's ways but that if the prospect shows attitude problems while in the organization he is not wanted?

If the guy can't lose the attitude around his fellow pro prospects and the management feels the same way, than it's time to part ways with said prospect unless the guy is some all world player like a Crosby or an Ovechkin (whom you stick with till the day you die even against better judgment).

Don't see why this is too hard of a thing for someone to believe.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Trouble seems to follow the kid around. I certainly wouldn't take him in the first few rounds.

jb**

Hopefully the flyers draft him and they have a loving reunion with Downey :sarcasm:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Because of your platonic love for Downie?

I'd have no problem taking a shot at Aliu after the first round.

I don't think he'll be a 1st or 2nd round pick based on all of this. I think it hurts his stock a LOT.

I would actually be upset if my team took him in the 2nd round. I say he's a 3rd or lower round kind of pick.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I don't think he'll be a 1st or 2nd round pick based on all of this. I think it hurts his stock a LOT.

I would actually be upset if my team took him in the 2nd round. I say he's a 3rd or lower round kind of pick.

I might agree with you on that. I'd want to have a chat with the kid and if I think his character is fine, I would take a chance on him as high as the second. I agree the third is the most likely round he'll be taken in right now, but of course things can change come draft day.

mooseOAK*

My friends in Sudbury feel that Foligno's priority is his son and not so much the team.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because of your platonic love for Downie?

I'd have no problem taking a shot at Aliu after the first round.

:biglaugh:

Nah. Not a bad guess though.

They strike me as having different sorts of attitude issues. Downie has a temper that gets him in trouble with the opposition, and occasionally hurts his team when he can't control his emotions. He may take a teammate to task, but it's always because he wants to win so badly.

Aliu just doesn't seem to care enough about anyone but himself. If anything, Downie cares too much. I'd rather have the latter than the former.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
http://www.thesudburystar.com/webap...ontentid=443258&catname=Local Sports&classif=

Here's part of the story:

Mike Foligno...officially announced Tuesday that the Wolves top prospect for the 2007 NHL draft had been suspended indefinitely by the team with just two games remaining in the regular season. The OHL playoffs are little more than a week away.

"It's never a bad time to make the right decision," Foligno said Tuesday.

"We indicated his conduct was detrimental to the team. It's not an issue with school or an altercation with another player, because that's what some people may think. It's for disciplinary reasons."

Just what it was that happened between the end of Sudbury's loss Sunday in Toronto and Monday evening - which is when the news began to leak out - Foligno wouldn't get into details over. It's more than likely, however, that it was just the last in a long line of less-than-desirable behaviour the team hasn't commented on until now.

"This decision is about putting the team first," Foligno added. "It's difficult because of the hard work this organization has put into Akim Aliu, who is a very talented 17-year-old hockey player.

"But we felt this was becoming a distraction to the hockey club. It comes to a point when you ask, is a player in line with our players and coaches?"

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Three guesses who wears the "A" for the Wolves. Yup, the one and only Nick Foligno. As chosen by the coaches, not the players.

If the rumours about Aliu standing up to Mike Foligno because of his treatment of Nick are true, he's not the first to do it. Unfortunately, those who stood up for themselves were benched, some for a very long time.

Roger's Pancreas*

Three guesses who wears the "A" for the Wolves. Yup, the one and only Nick Foligno. As chosen by the coaches, not the players.

If the rumours about Aliu standing up to Mike Foligno because of his treatment of Nick are true, he's not the first to do it. Unfortunately, those who stood up for themselves were benched, some for a very long time.
Doesn't suprise me, but there's still three others who wear letters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->