Air Canada Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The Canadian AAA Midget Championship is well underway in Kenora, Ontario. So far all the papers in Winnipeg are raving over Quebec's Francis Pare. Apparently he's pretty small though, anyone have a bit of history on him? He's leading the tournament in scoring.

It looks like Red Deer and College Charles-Lemoyne of Quebec are the contenders. The Brandon Wheat Kings are hanging in as well, they played the top teams in their first two games and lost both in overtime, they might be a threat.

The final game is on Sunday (TSN).

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Don_Cherry said:
The Canadian AAA Midget Championship is well underway in Kenora, Ontario. So far all the papers in Winnipeg are raving over Quebec's Francis Pare. Apparently he's pretty small though, anyone have a bit of history on him? He's leading the tournament in scoring.

It looks like Red Deer and College Charles-Lemoyne of Quebec are the contenders. The Brandon Wheat Kings are hanging in as well, they played the top teams in their first two games and lost both in overtime, they might be a threat.

The final game is on Sunday (TSN).

Well, it looks like he's only about 5'8 or so, not a big guy for sure.

He did help Quebec to a medal at the World U17 Challenge in January, racking up 9pts in 6 games. Top NHL prospect Guiallame Latendresse had 10 pts for Team Quebec to lead the team.

I am not quite sure why he didn't play in the Q this past season, perhaps he is interested in the NCAA?

Mr. HoCKeY

May 2, 2002
Candiac
HabLover said:
I am not quite sure why he didn't play in the Q this past season, perhaps he is interested in the NCAA?

No, he was cut by Shawinigan in the training camp but he played 5 games with that team notching 2 goals. He will make the team next year for sure.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Brandon hammered Red Deer in the semi's last night and Quebec snuck by the host Kenora team 2-1 to advance to the finals.

For the first time in Air Canada Cup history a Manitoba team will medal. If Kenora beats Red Deer for the bronze, the Manitoba AAA league will have it's two first medals.

The game is on TSN at 2:00 EST I believe. The player to watch is definitely Francis Pare from Quebec, he's leading the tournament in scoring and will be in the Q next year for sure. Tyler Dittmer is also a very good player for the Wheat Kings.

BCCHL inactive

I hate to be a *****, but it isn't the Air Canada Cup anymore. It is the National Midget Championship.

And I must say, it is nice to finally see these Midget AAA teams wearing their own uniforms at the tournament.

As for the final that is in OT, I'd like to see Brandon win. It would be nice to see this team of locals beat a Quebec Major Midget team which is full of imports.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
And the Brandon Wheat Kings become the first Manitoba team to ever medal at the tournament, doing it in style with a gold.

Beautiful OT goal by the captain Langford, split the D and ripped a snapshot low on the stick side with 12 seonds left in OT.

Mr. HoCKeY

May 2, 2002
Candiac
Van said:
As for the final that is in OT, I'd like to see Brandon win. It would be nice to see this team of locals beat a Quebec Major Midget team which is full of imports.

What? Full of imports? This team is composed by players who lives in Montreal's south shore. If you don't live their you can't play for this team.

BCCHL inactive

Mr. HoCKeY said:
What? Full of imports? This team is composed by players who lives in Montreal's south shore. If you don't live their you can't play for this team.

That's basically what I meant. Leagues like the Quebec major midget league have regions in which teams are limited to their player selection.

In programs like Manitoba's, and the program that BC is getting rid of, players can only play for the team if they live in the city and are registered with that minor hockey association.

Using Prince George for an example...a kid from Vanderhoof (a small town an hour west) cannot play Midget AAA hockey in Prince George unless he can live with family in Prince George. If not, he is limited to playing for his local Midget A team. Starting next season, Vanderhoof will be part of the region that Prince George can take players from.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Thing is with CCL is that it is right outside Montreal.

Around Montreal there is 4 MAAA teams.

West Island
Ecole Edouard-Montpetit
Laval-Laurentides
College Charles Lemoyne

I am not sure how the regions are divided but the players on CCL are all from the area.

So it isnt like they are an "all-star" team that imported players from all over Quebec.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Mr. HoCKeY said:
No, he was cut by Shawinigan in the training camp but he played 5 games with that team notching 2 goals. He will make the team next year for sure.

I wouldnt say "cut" :)

He was sent down to MAAA to develop.

He was a 3rd rd pick in 2003 by Shawinigan.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Taylor Langford

Beautiful OT goal by the captain Langford, split the D and ripped a snapshot low on the stick side with 12 seonds left in OT.

Is he not really an offensive player? Especially for a captain, he didn't seem to play that much (only saw the championship game) and wasn't on the power play, but what a great goal, great shot.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
JamieG said:
Is he not really an offensive player? Especially for a captain, he didn't seem to play that much (only saw the championship game) and wasn't on the power play, but what a great goal, great shot.
I didn't like the game very much at all. I found it quite slow, and there were quite a bit of mistakes, this coming from a 15 yr old, who plays the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->