Confirmed with Link: AHL targeting February 5th start date

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If true going to suck for Grand Rapids, Considering that our best prospects are playing over in Europe for the season. Veleno and Seider but two.

With how C19 is hitting europe, some of those leagues might be ending early. I thought the SHL was slotted to end in March anyway, though. If the AHL starts in February, I figure they are going until June, so Veleno/Seider/etc. could probably come back and step right into the griffins' lineup in game shape.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
With how C19 is hitting europe, some of those leagues might be ending early. I thought the SHL was slotted to end in March anyway, though. If the AHL starts in February, I figure they are going until June, so Veleno/Seider/etc. could probably come back and step right into the griffins' lineup in game shape.
Yeah, they might get a full season worth of games, just in 3 different leagues, lol.

Sounds to me like the AHL is hoping for a vaccine to be ready. I wonder if they're require proof of vaccination to enter the arena. We know they aren't gonna play without arena attendance....

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Corona is hitting here, but nothing is suspended in Sweden or Finland. Teams have had 2 weeks of brakes, and then continued.

Sweden playes without spectators, Finland playes with 500 people block restrictions, like Tampere Icehall has 9 blocks with 500 max people = 4500 people max capacity.

No single corona spreading has started in Finland at hockey games, from spectator side. Restrictions are working. Everybody is using a mask in games, mask are offered for free, but I've used my own mask in all the games.

Teams have had problems, with some outsiders carrying the virus on the team. They have had the quarantine period, and come back after a break.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Our best and youngest prospects will be in Europe, our older ones will wait it out to see if they make the big teams roster. Hirose/Hicketts/Svechinkov/Smith/Tuergeon... Idk maybe missing one or two older guys maybe but most all other younger prospects are in JR's, Europe, or college.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Grand Rapids Griffins | Griffins Roster & Alumni Tracker

Griffins would be very much ready.

Signed players:

C - Dominic Turgeon
C - Chase Pearson
C - Patrick Curry
C/LW - Turner Elson
C/RW - Kyle Criscuolo
RW - Riley Barber
W - Taro Hirose
LW - Max Humitz
LW - Troy Loggins
RW - Jarid Lukosevicius
C/LW - Gregor McLeod
C/RW - Dominik Shine
W - Givani Smith
(C - Michael Rasmussen)
LW - Tyler Spezia
(RW - Evgeny Svechnikov)
(F - Joe Veleno)

LD - Dennis Cholowski
LD - Joe Hicketts
LD - Brian Lashoff
LD - Charle-Edouard D'Astous
LD - Jared McIsaac

(RD - Moritz Seider)
(RD - Gustav Lindström)
RD - Dylan McIlrath
RD - Tory Dello

G Kevin Boyle
G Pat Nagle
G Calvin Pckard
(G Filip Larsson)
G Kaden Fulcher

Team:
Hirose - Pearson - Barber
Elson - Turgeon - Shine
Humitz - Curry - Smith
Loggins - McLeod - Criscuolo

(Spezia, Lukosevicius)

Lashoff - Cholowski
Hicketts - McIlrath
McIsaac - Dello

(D'Astous)

Boyle
Pickard

-----------
Fulcher (ECHL)
Nagle (ECHL)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Corona is hitting here, but nothing is suspended in Sweden or Finland. Teams have had 2 weeks of brakes, and then continued.

Sweden playes without spectators, Finland playes with 500 people block restrictions, like Tampere Icehall has 9 blocks with 500 max people = 4500 people max capacity.

No single corona spreading has started in Finland at hockey games, from spectator side. Restrictions are working. Everybody is using a mask in games, mask are offered for free, but I've used my own mask in all the games.

Teams have had problems, with some outsiders carrying the virus on the team. They have had the quarantine period, and come back after a break.

Isn't the league Hronek is in suspended right now? Some leagues will make it through, others won't or will have their seasons shortened.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If there's any fallout from this for Detroit, I think Svechnikov might lose out. Unless he's playing in Europe, the other prospects may get a leg up on him, and he's running out of chances (however unfortunate his injuries have been).

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
If there's any fallout from this for Detroit, I think Svechnikov might lose out. Unless he's playing in Europe, the other prospects may get a leg up on him, and he's running out of chances (however unfortunate his injuries have been).

I don't think Svechnikov is playing in Europe presently. It'd be great if he could play in the SHL with Veleno, though. Malmo Redhawks look pretty thin on the wings and even though his skating is ugly, I think Svech has a chance of being an effective player there. Might do him some good.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think Svechnikov is playing in Europe presently. It'd be great if he could play in the SHL with Veleno, though. Malmo Redhawks look pretty thin on the wings and even though his skating is ugly, I think Svech has a chance of being an effective player there. Might do him some good.

There was those KHL rumours about him going to Kazan (where he was at junior days) but nothing happened. Think Svechni is projected to NHL 4th line. He will either succeeds or fails. The last chance will start now. Not anymore going AHL.

KHL is the worst with Corona. Just came news that Jokerit has 12 players infected. And they don't a care a shit about it. Just ban games and planning to play them after a 2-week quarantine.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Svechnikov. It looks like he signed his QO which needed to have an NHL salary of $874,125, but could be a two-way, which has a minimum AHL salary of $70k.

If he doesn't play in the NHL, he could obviously make way more overseas than in the AHL. I would assume that given his Mom lives in the US at least during the regular season, he's pretty committed to making the NHL. However, I wonder if he explores other options if he doesn't make the Wings and ends up clearing waivers.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Svechnikov. It looks like he signed his QO which needed to have an NHL salary of $874,125, but could be a two-way, which has a minimum AHL salary of $70k.

If he doesn't play in the NHL, he could obviously make way more overseas than in the AHL. I would assume that given his Mom lives in the US at least during the regular season, he's pretty committed to making the NHL. However, I wonder if he explores other options if he doesn't make the Wings and ends up clearing waivers.

He didn't sign QO, he was extended 9th August, months before any qualifying offers with a standard player contract.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He didn't sign QO, he was extended 9th August, months before any qualifying offers with a standard player contract.

I should've worded it better in that he signed what his QO likely would've been.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I read earlier today that the NBA is targeting Dec. 22nd. Why would it take the AHL & NHL 6 more weeks ? (Feb 1st)
I think it's the other way around. The NBA is rushing to start (possibly sooner than they will realistically be able to) because of money. They want the revenue of games over the Christmas break, coupled with the revenue of having the season finishing soon enough that it won't overlap with the Summer Olympics (assuming those are held).

It's because of the TV deals that the NBA has, which don't apply to the NHL in the same way.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it's the other way around. The NBA is rushing to start (possibly sooner than they will realistically be able to) because of money. They want the revenue of games over the Christmas break, coupled with the revenue of having the season finishing soon enough that it won't overlap with the Summer Olympics (assuming those are held).

It's because of the TV deals that the NBA has, which don't apply to the NHL in the same way.

The players were targeting a January 18th date, which is actually around when I think the NHL is targeting. I guess it depends on training camps, but they would all be there for mid-January. We are supposed to get permission to train earlier which would be interesting. But I would think for the AHL to break on February 5th, the NHL should be a week ahead of that in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad