AHL Head Coaching Opportunities

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Current Openings:
Colorado - Parted ways with former San Antonio coach Eric Veilleux

Filled:
Tucson - Jay Varaday (Kingston Fronteacs HC last season)
Milwaukee - Karl Taylor (Texas Stars AC last season)
Hershey - Spencer Carbery (Providence AC last season)
Belleville - Troy Mann (Hershey Bears HC last season)
Stockton - Cail MacLean (promoted from AC)
Bakersfield - Jay Woodcroft (Edmonton AC last season)
San Antonio - Drew Bannister (Former Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds HC)
Laval - Joel Bouchard (Former HC, President, and GM of Blainville-Boisbriand Armada
Grand Rapids - Ben Simon (promoted from AC)

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Dean Evason has been in Milwaukee for 6 years. That is a long time in the AHL. He has missed the playoffs 2 of the last 4 years and was swept by Grand Rapids in two other years.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Is it a promotion to go from an NHL assistant coaching job to head coach of an AHL team?
I guess it depends on how you look at it.

On one hand I can see a coach being pissed about it because they are sent to the minors to ride buses/travel and spend long weekends coaching 2-3 games.

On the other hand I see it as an opportunity for someone to take what they learned and use it to get better as a coach in one of the best leagues in the world (outside of the NHL obviously). Showing you can be a head coach at the AHL level and have the NHL assistant coach gig on your resume could make you more attractive as a head coaching candidate for a NHL team.

Reactions: Mike Jones

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Griffins lost Game 5 tonight at home to Manitoba 5-1 which eliminated us from defending the Calder Cup. Might have been Todd Nelson's last day as Griffins coach as he has been mentioned for the head coaching spots in Carolina and Dallas. Nothing official said at the moment, but his contract is up in Grand Rapids, so will wait and see what happens. The Red Wings also have an assistant coach's spot open as well.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

No surprise. Hate to say it about a Providence College guy, but outside of one championship season he is a terrible AHL coach.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
John Tavares getting full-court press from Islanders - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman on potential AHL "promotions"
The Athletic’s Craig Custance has reported Dallas, Detroit and St. Louis have interest in Todd Nelson from AHL Grand Rapids. Nelson has power-play expertise, and all three teams need help. The Stars were 19th, the Red Wings 24th and the Blues 30th this year.

• I could see Calgary promoting AHL Stockton’s Ryan Huska.

• And there’s interest in two at least two other AHL guys as NHL assistants: Chicago’s Rocky Thompson and Tucson’s Mike Van Ryn.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I believe that leaves open Hershey, Belleville and Tucson. Not entirely sure about the Colorado Eagles expansion team yet but I'd guess they might just keep the current head coach of the ECHL team

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I believe that leaves open Hershey, Belleville and Tucson. Not entirely sure about the Colorado Eagles expansion team yet but I'd guess they might just keep the current head coach of the ECHL team

Why wouldn't they just keep current coach from San Antonio Eric Veilliux??

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Mark Divver of the Providence Journal reporting PBruins assistant Spencer Carbury is in the mix for the Hershey job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad