AHL Allowing Players on Minor League Deals to Go to Olympics

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

How many teams actually sign people to AHL only contracts? If your an NHL owned club I can see the team not allowing the player to go, whereby Hershey or Chicago having luxury to sign their own players outside of the affiliation is able to let that respective players play. Was kinda hoping more college players get to play in Olympics. The better U.S. players are coming through the college ranks and it was U.S. college kids that toppled the Russians, night I would never forget even as young boy it was amazing time!!!!!

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
How many teams actually sign people to AHL only contracts?
30. There is a thread in this very forum every year listing the players on AHL contracts, and the first post in the thread lists the players by team for the season. Two teams only had 4 AHL contracts last year, the rest had more. Sometimes it is the NHL team who signs a player to an AHL only deal and sometimes the AHL team does it independently.

If your an NHL owned club I can see the team not allowing the player to go, whereby Hershey or Chicago having luxury to sign their own players outside of the affiliation is able to let that respective players play.

It is possible that the NHL team might tell an individual player not to go, but that would probably be a case by case basis.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
How many teams actually sign people to AHL only contracts? If your an NHL owned club I can see the team not allowing the player to go, whereby Hershey or Chicago having luxury to sign their own players outside of the affiliation is able to let that respective players play. Was kinda hoping more college players get to play in Olympics. The better U.S. players are coming through the college ranks and it was U.S. college kids that toppled the Russians, night I would never forget even as young boy it was amazing time!!!!!

To confirm royals119's answer...every AHL team has players on AHL or AHL/ECHL contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->