Aggregate TOI in scoring efficiency

frodo timberlake

Sep 18, 2017
Yo hello g's

Why isn’t aggregate TOI utilized more in mainstream hockey talk and hockey reporting when evaluating a players scoring efficiency? I don’t think aggregate TOI is even really a thing people think about in the mainstream, and it isn't really a metric that is commonly displayed. Perhaps because it is a bit unintuitive to keep up with in real time. Is it something hockey analysts use?

Still, it's great for analyzing scoring efficiency in hindsight. Aggregate TOI and GP are both measuring precisely the same thing, but aggregate TOI just gives a more exact result. You could even combine aggregate TOI with GP to help make it more easily decipherable.

Even if TOI and points obviously correlate, I can’t imagine some anomalies don’t go unnoticed when you consider the variations between players’ TOI per game, and how quickly they cumulate into significant differences. Am I wrong?

I’m sure this wouldn’t go all the way to illustrate scoring efficiency per time played because of the skewing effect that I’m sure PP time has when measuring these stats. But could it serve a purpose in mainstream discussion by helping people compare players a little more accurately while still keeping it relatively easy and intuitive? Should the NHL and media start publishing aggregate TOI more openly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad