Age of Empires 4 Announced (Relic Entertainment)

member 51464

For anyone who loves AoE2, I highly recommend Stronghold (the 2001 game, though 2012's Stronghold HD is probably the version that you want to play today). The period is the same, the graphics are nearly identical and the gameplay is very similar, though it focuses on attacking or defending bases (castles, in this case), rather than building them. For some reason, I overlooked it in the 2000s and didn't try it until a few years ago, and I loved it. Any fans of AoE2 should love it, IMO. Make sure to play the original (or its HD version), not Stronghold 2 or 3, which I've heard aren't even close to the classic that the original is.

It appears that it's only for Windows and I doubt that different stores (Steam, GOG, etc.) would have it available on different days. As for performance, it looks like it's a full 3D engine, rather than a 2D engine like AoE2 (including AoE2 HD), so I expect it to be a lot more taxing. Also, since it's only for Windows and has the "Windows 10" logo at the end, it's probably built on DirectX 12, so it may be most optimized for newer GPUs. Performance might be iffy, at least at high resolutions, if your GPU is from the DirectX 10 era. That's just my speculation, though.
Is GPU the same as my processor?

I have:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00Ghz (4 CPUs), ~2.6Ghz

8192 MB RAM
DirectX12

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Is GPU the same as my processor?

The GPU is the graphics card/chip, which is generally separate from the CPU, which is your processor. Most people today have an Nvidia GeForce, AMD Radeon or Intel HD GPU. You can see what you have by right-clicking on the start menu button, choosing Device Manager and then expanding the "Display adapters" branch.

Here are the supposed minimum requirements for the Definitive Edition:
wccftech.com said:
Architecture: X64 required
Processor: 1.8 Ghz+ Dual Core or greater i3, i5, or i7, or AMD equivalent
Graphics: Intel HD 4000 or Greater (16 or more Execution Units), AMD or nVidia GPU scoring 500 or more on Passmark G3D Mark
Memory: 4GB
Storage: 8-10GB
http://wccftech.com/age-of-empires-definitive-edition-4k/

You can look up your GPU ("display adapter") at the following site, to see if it gets at least 500 in Passmark G3D Mark:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

It looks like you need better than a GeForce 9600 or Radeon HD 7500 for the game. That's likely at low resolutions (like 1366x768) with low detail settings, though. You'll likely need something better if you want to play in much higher resolutions.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
The GPU is the graphics card/chip, which is generally separate from the CPU, which is your processor. Most people today have an Nvidia GeForce, AMD Radeon or Intel HD GPU. You can see what you have by right-clicking on the start menu button, choosing Device Manager and then expanding the "Display adapters" branch.

Here are the supposed minimum requirements for the Definitive Edition:

http://wccftech.com/age-of-empires-definitive-edition-4k/

You can look up your GPU ("display adapter") at the following site, to see if it gets at least 500 in Passmark G3D Mark:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

It looks like you need better than a GeForce 9600 or Radeon HD 7500 for the game. That's likely at low resolutions (like 1366x768) with low detail settings, though. You'll likely need something better if you want to play in much higher resolutions.

I just looked up my desktop card... cool. Then I looked up my laptop's card :cry::laugh:

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
For anyone who loves AoE2, I highly recommend Stronghold (the 2001 game, though 2012's Stronghold HD is probably the version that you want to play today). The period is the same, the graphics are nearly identical and the gameplay is very similar, though it focuses on attacking or defending bases (castles, in this case), rather than building them. For some reason, I overlooked it in the 2000s and didn't try it until a few years ago, and I loved it. Any fans of AoE2 should love it, IMO. Make sure to play the original (or its HD version), not Stronghold 2 or 3, which I've heard aren't even close to the classic that the original is.

The original Stronghold is very good, actually got it way back when it released and have the HD update. There's a good mix of economics mixed in with defending and attacking castles as well.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (the remaster of AoE1) is being delayed. It was to come out October 19th, but they're now shooting for early 2018. I'm OK with this, especially because they'll be holding a closed beta between now and then, so the finished product should be even more polished.

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/age-empires-de-release-update/

I'm not happy they charged my card a few days before they decided on this.

Edit: I will say that they did need to delay it. The pathing of large groups of units was horrifically bad. So bad that if you proactively tried to move your army to fight - you would be the one losing the fight most of the time. I wouldn't be surprised if 50 units standing in an area could beat an army of 200 that was moved into them to fight.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
They refunded the charge a week or two after making it. I got an email this past week and they seem to be offering everyone who pre-ordered a free copy of Rise of Nations Extended Edition. So I got a free game for preordering and having my card charged and refunded. The only negative experience here is they refunded so I had to go preorder again.

Poor communication and planning but they offered us something for the hassle. I will also say that the beta looks much more smooth now than it did the week it was originally supposed to be released (October 19) so the end product like Osprey says will be much more polished, playable and good.

member 51464

I've been playing the AoE: Definitive Edition beta some. I can't say I love it. I never played the original, so I have no nostalgia boost. Maybe the final product will seem better, but I don't see it knocking AoE II out of the top spot for me.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I've been playing the AoE: Definitive Edition beta some. I can't say I love it. I never played the original, so I have no nostalgia boost. Maybe the final product will seem better, but I don't see it knocking AoE II out of the top spot for me.

It's really no contest, for me, that AoE II was the better of the games. I played both of them growing up and enjoyed them immensely, so I'm sure I'll grab the definitive edition as well, but won't play it as much as AoE II.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's vague but like the comments I see in the video - it looks like it's moving in the direction of Settlers and Total War from that description and the gameplay.

If it has been slowly developed over time these past few years while smaller teams touched up Age of Empires 1 and 2 then maybe they can tie economy, military, historical battles and multiplayer all into one... it could be great.

My only issue is I hope they go back in time (to ancient civilizations), forward in time and it's not just medieval battles like we see there. I'm definitely an Age of Empires fanboy. I got them all and I'll probably get this one.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!

This look incredible. haven't really been into the strategy genre much the last few years, but this might be the game to bring me back.

Yeah, it looks really good and I like the art style they're going for(also the scale feels significantly larger). Kinda was hoping for more than just a minute video though.
Relic is a developer I respect a lot though, so looking forward to seeing more of the game. I hope it's accessible for new RTS players while being deep for hardcore players.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary

AOEII classic was better than AOE I as well. The sequel was basically an improvement on everything. I still got it and plan to still play it for nostalgia reasons though.

As for 4 I kinda wish they did another period of history. Especially with AOE II DE. I probably will just stick with the DE version unless 4 is really that unique and fun.

Whoops didn't realize this is such an old post forgive me lol.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
AOEII classic was better than AOE I as well. The sequel was basically an improvement on everything. I still got it and plan to still play it for nostalgia reasons though.

As for 4 I kinda wish they did another period of history. Especially with AOE II DE. I probably will just stick with the DE version unless 4 is really that unique and fun.

Whoops didn't realize this is such an old post forgive me lol.

You're right. Their timeline for release is within the next 2 years unless there is a delay... I'm a little bit down they're sticking to the same timeline as Age of Empires II especially with AOEII DE coming out a little over a week ago.
But if they can introduce new game modes and really make civilizations play differently... maybe it will be good. Maybe they can add different modes, provide some sort of empire/city building experience.

It just feels like staying true to the previous installments probably won't result in mainstream success and something fundamental needs to change.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Unless you two are referencing an article somewhere that I haven't read, my understanding is that AoE4 will encompass multiple eras, from ancient to medieval to colonial (i.e. all three of the original games' eras). That comes from the announcement trailer on the first page. The fact that the newer gameplay trailer shows only medieval could just be because that's currently the only era that's polished enough to show. Of course, it could also suggest a change of focus--perhaps multiple eras ended up being too much work and try trimmed it to one--but I haven't read anything to support that so far and it hasn't made its way into the PC Gamer Everything we know article that was updated only 7 days ago.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Unless you two are referencing an article somewhere that I haven't read, my understanding is that AoE4 will encompass multiple eras, from ancient to medieval to colonial (i.e. all three of the original games' eras). That comes from the announcement trailer on the first page. The fact that the newer gameplay trailer shows only medieval could just be because that's currently the only era that's polished enough to show. Of course, it could also suggest a change of focus--perhaps multiple eras ended up being too much work and try trimmed it to one--but I haven't read anything to support that so far and it hasn't made its way into the PC Gamer Everything we know article that was updated only 7 days ago.

He says starts a little earlier and ends a little later than Age 2.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Thanks. I was afraid that you might be referencing something that I hadn't come across yet. So, it does sound like they've constricted the scope from what the announcement trailer implied. That's disappointing. I was most excited for the Roman-era gameplay that it seemed like the game would include.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Paraphrasing:

'we strive for historical accuracy'
'and here in this video we have the Mongols fighting the English'

I know what they're saying but just gotta love this PC strategy game contradiction :laugh:

I gotta say though, I'm just finishing up The History of Rome podcast and am a little less interested in the Medieval era now, as despite what games series like Age of Empires and Civilization say this was not a linear advancement of technology from the Classical->Feudal->Renaissance Era's. The whole "Feudal" system was kind of an inadvertent side effect from Diocletian implementing policies to try and combat runaway inflation without having any idea what inflation was and how to handle it.

Though I guess for AoE 4's perspective it makes sense that you're starting from somewhere after the fall of the Western Empire and need to catch up.

Reactions: Osprey

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Really wish they'd come to their senses and put this and DE on Xbox.

I'd love to play both but buying a PC solely for that purpose just ain't worth it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Been looking forward to it, and a getting better view with some pro/con expectations:

Pro
- Should be much better tactical battles with enhanced unit pathfinding that the old games just couldn't compute
- More distinct civilizations?
- Units on walls is pretty cool
Cons
- I'm expecting a more 'streamlined' experience with less of everything - units, technology, civilizations, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad