Boston Bruins After 1/3 of the Season...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Zach Senyshyn 0 NHL games 0 NHL points, we can remove him as well.

Jury is still out on him.

The hilarious thing about your comments is that out of all the players we are discussing, Senyshyn is the one that comes closest to fitting the mold of the players you pine for. Next in line is probably Zboril? And you constantly bag on both of them.

Senyshyn is big, fast, and is supposedly down in PRO adding some grit and D to his game. I doubt he drops them much in his career, but he fits the description of a "power forward". Zboril is not as big, but he has a nasty streak and edge to his game. The other guys that are being discussed: Barzal, Connor, Chabot...are all what I would categorize as "softer" players.

So, in these instances, Sweeney went for the bigger, meaner guy (McAvoy, Acciari, Kuraly all physical players as well) and yet you still have an issue with him. Seems like he's not going to win with you regardless of what he does.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Senyshyn was drafted as a goal scorer, score goals. I don't care how he does it, with speed or like Tim Kerr standing in the slot taking abuse and tipping shots and picking up rebounds. Score. 15th overall drafted as a scorer I expect him to score.

I have yet to hear anything good on Zboril from national sources, lots of bruins fans who pay attention to the AHL are less than impressed with him as well. If he becomes a McQuaid, one of my favorite players, I still think you wasted a first round pick on him. You add players like McQuaid, Thornton, Reaves, the guys I like in later rounds not in a deep draft in the top 15

Too many top end players were still on the board when Senyshyn was picked, that is my issue with him. I have nothing against him, this isn't a case of me disliking a skilled player who plays soft, this is a case of maybe wasting a 15th overall pick when players who look like future stars were still available and ranked higher.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Travis Konecny (24th pick 2015): 3g/6a/9p in 30 games (in his second NHL year)

Jake DeBrusk (15th pick 2015): 6g/7a/13p in 23 games (NHL rookie)

So, I guess we can remove Konecny from that list? He has 4 less points than DeBrusk in 7 more games.

My point was that Konecny was one of the prospects expected to be drafted around where the Bruins were picking in the first round in 2015, and, accordingly, selecting him would not have been a gamble.

In any event, I agree that Debrusk appears to be the better player.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Senyshyn was drafted as a goal scorer, score goals. I don't care how he does it, with speed or like Tim Kerr standing in the slot taking abuse and tipping shots and picking up rebounds. Score. 15th overall drafted as a scorer I expect him to score.

I have yet to hear anything good on Zboril from national sources, lots of bruins fans who pay attention to the AHL are less than impressed with him as well. If he becomes a McQuaid, one of my favorite players, I still think you wasted a first round pick on him. You add players like McQuaid, Thornton, Reaves, the guys I like in later rounds not in a deep draft in the top 15

Seems like the Bruins fans here who get to see him in Providence have said he's cleaned up his game and is playing solid simple hockey. That's what he needs to do because his natural talents are all there.

Did you really just compare Zboril to McQuaid, Thornton and Reeves? Good lord. He's far more talented than any of those players.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Too many top end players were still on the board when Senyshyn was picked, that is my issue with him. I have nothing against him, this isn't a case of me disliking a skilled player who plays soft, this is a case of maybe wasting a 15th overall pick when players who look like future stars were still available and ranked higher.

When it comes to AHL players, I pay very little attention to "national sources", and prefer to go with a guy like Mark Diver. Zboril and Senyshyn are both extremely skilled kids that needed to be taught how to play the pro game. Most people that follow PRO seem to think that this is happening. You would think otherwise, but even kids from strong major junior teams show up unprepared to play at the next level. I was told that Ryan Button was a perfect example of this, and in his case, the B's weren't able to "coach him up".

Hoping that's not the case with Zboril and Senyshyn.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

I hope to heck he does not become that low skilled a deeman, they can be had in the later rounds. Zboril is already a better puck handler and skater. A fighter/PK guy can be picked up anywhere if they even have much value anymore. Most of the Bruins recent success is due to the dee actually moving the puck up the ice instead of icing it or freezing it against the boards. Senyshyn was voted the best skater in his last year over some guy named McDavid, kid has size, wheels and can score. The rest is being taught to him now, lets wait and see. If Zboril becomes a 3rd - 4th deeman then I will be happy as Mac and Carlo, Lauzon, Lindgren, Sherman will be in the mix.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
My point was that Konecny was one of the prospects expected to be drafted around where the Bruins were picking in the first round in 2015, and, accordingly, selecting him would not have been a gamble.

In any event, I agree that Debrusk appears to be the better player.

I understand your point, and I don't think it applies to Konecny. If you look at the consensus rankings (2015 NHL Draft Prospect Consensus Rankings), Konecny was only 8 spots ahead of DeBrusk (16 vs 25), which is not a big deal.

Furthermore, that's the problem with calling players busts based on a small sample size. Last year, Konecny broke into the NHL while DeBrusk learned in the AHL. Everybody and their brother pissed and moaned that the B's should have taken Konecny. This year, DeBrusk looks like the better player.

Reactions: Estlin

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
"In the future don’t draft gingers. No one is intimidated by guys with rosy cheeks..".
iu
No way. That’s sandy brown. Red faced from fighting a bear while semi inebriated.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

More than 50% of first round picks will never play well enough to earn a second nhl contract. If you get a mcquaid level career at pick 15 you are ahead of the average

Its not what you hope for... but its not unexpected

Bruins wish a guy like zach hamil or kevyn adams were able to be as effective as adam mcquaid was

The good news is we are now learning heinen, bjork, cehlerik look like good bets to be top 9 forwards... added to marchand, pastrnak, debrusk this gives us 6 top 9 homegrown wingers

For those bad at math there are only 6 jobs available for top 9 wingers at one time... and weve sucessfully filled every spot.

Add bergeron, krejci, jfk, federik, donato, studnicka and weve also drafted our top 3 centers in house

People who complain about our drafting and development really havent been paying attention

I defy anyone to name me a team that does it better... lets srart a thread where you try to defend that team and i go through hockeydb and name all their fails

Reactions: DKH

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I understand your point, and I don't think it applies to Konecny. If you look at the consensus rankings (2015 NHL Draft Prospect Consensus Rankings), Konecny was only 8 spots ahead of DeBrusk (16 vs 25), which is not a big deal.

Furthermore, that's the problem with calling players busts based on a small sample size. Last year, Konecny broke into the NHL while DeBrusk learned in the AHL. Everybody and their brother pissed and moaned that the B's should have taken Konecny. This year, DeBrusk looks like the better player.

And again im reminded how ridiculous us fans are trying to argue what kid is a better pick after 1 or 2 years

When fans try to rate the top 10 hof players theyve watched an entire career of, we wont agree

If we cant agree on hof players after an entire career how on gods green earth can we agree on kids we might have only seen play 30 games on a 3rd line role?

Be happy when a kid on your team is contributing. Most kids never will. If you got one that does, your a winner

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Reading that consensus list everyone has their panties in a bunch over might have just shut me up

Now i too wish lawson crouse, timo meier and evgeni shivnichov fell to us... oh wait, evgeni was available!!! And we passed on him to draft debrusk??

Ok i change sides. Those experts are infallible with their consesus picks. Sweeney was an idiot after all compared to the experts perfect concensus rankings

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Whenever I'm tempted to talk about draft picks and where they are vs. perhaps where i think they should be in terms of development -- I force myself to think two words.

Brad Marchand.

Early on I was not impressed. Clearly I was orbiting the wrong planet. I try to remember that.

I wonder if those who endlessly want to slag off our prospects for not making an immediate huge impact at 18 have any similar experiences to mine? I wonder?

Reactions: zaYG

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Reading that consensus list everyone has their panties in a bunch over might have just shut me up

Now i too wish lawson crouse, timo meier and evgeni shivnichov fell to us... oh wait, evgeni was available!!! And we passed on him to draft debrusk??

Ok i change sides. Those experts are infallible with their consesus picks. Sweeney was an idiot after all compared to the experts perfect concensus rankings

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I hope to heck he does not become that low skilled a deeman, they can be had in the later rounds. Zboril is already a better puck handler and skater. A fighter/PK guy can be picked up anywhere if they even have much value anymore. Most of the Bruins recent success is due to the dee actually moving the puck up the ice instead of icing it or freezing it against the boards. Senyshyn was voted the best skater in his last year over some guy named McDavid, kid has size, wheels and can score. The rest is being taught to him now, lets wait and see. If Zboril becomes a 3rd - 4th deeman then I will be happy as Mac and Carlo, Lauzon, Lindgren, Sherman will be in the mix.

We disagree on the bolded and looking at most rosters in the league it seems most teams have at least one McQuaid like player still on the team. If you want to argue Miller vs McQuaid Miller has to fight to actually be considered a fighter, a nice physical player but I take McQuaid over him everyday. I prefer having both in the lineup, both right hand shots or not.

If Senyshyn can score why isn't he scoring in the minors?

I actually agree with you that you can find McQuaid type players later in the draft but right now that may be Zboril's high end, but we will see. You are correct that arguing a players impact a year or two into his career is too early to evaluate. I will just say that considering players passed over for Senyshyn and his lack of production that I am very concerned about him and where he will be in two years, Zboril as well.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

According to those that watch him regularly, its because the coaching staff is working on rounding out his game. He is picking up helpers but to say that he isn't scoring in the minors early in his first pro season where he finds out that what he did to score in junior isn't going to work in the NHL is pretty unfair. If he is still in the same spot in a year, then maybe we have a Zach Hamill, but really, have some patience with the young guys. Not all of them can step in as rookies and pile up points, in the NHL or the AHL.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
We disagree on the bolded and looking at most rosters in the league it seems most teams have at least one McQuaid like player still on the team. If you want to argue Miller vs McQuaid Miller has to fight to actually be considered a fighter, a nice physical player but I take McQuaid over him everyday. I prefer having both in the lineup, both right hand shots or not.

I actually agree with you that you can find McQuaid type players later in the draft but right now that may be Zboril's high end, but we will see. You are correct that arguing a players impact a year or two into his career is too early to evaluate. I will just say that considering players passed over for Senyshyn and his lack of production that I am very concerned about him and where he will be in two years, Zboril as well.

senyshyn’s production is comparable if not slightly better than debrusk’s and heinen’s through this part of the season last year. providence is being run as if it’s an nhl roster, the kids play limited minutes and are expected to kill penalties and are benched for poor play, they aren’t just gifted top-6 mins and easy deployments because of what roles they were drafted for. debrusk and heinen went through the same before earning the minutes in which they were most productive later in the season. management isn’t worried about their numbers in the ahl, they want these guys to step in and be able to play in all situations comfortably and not think they can get by just on their individual abilities and what they were ‘drafted as’. they want them to step in like debrusk and heinen having essentially played in the exact roles that will likely be expected of them in the nhl to start.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Seems like the Bruins fans here who get to see him in Providence have said he's cleaned up his game and is playing solid simple hockey. That's what he needs to do because his natural talents are all there.

Did you really just compare Zboril to McQuaid, Thornton and Reeves? Good lord. He's far more talented than any of those players.

They have all played over 5 seasons in the NHL, let's see how many Zboril plays.

In fact between them their are over 1300 games played and 3 Stanley cups.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They have all played over 5 seasons in the NHL, let's see how many Zboril plays.

In fact between them their are over 1300 games played and 3 Stanley cups.

What does that have to do with anything? No disrespect to those 3 players.

I've been critical of Zboril's development up to the start of this season, but he's a strong skater, very strong and physical for his size, possesses a cannon of a shot, and can move the puck well. From what I've seen, he needs to simplify his game, become more consistent in his positioning and decision making.

Sure, maybe he turns out to be nothing more than a 3rd pair D-man if he struggles to do those things, but he is more naturally talented than any of these guys, I don't get why you even bring them up when talking about Zboril. He was drafted for his natural physical talents and potential to be a high-end complete D-man. Not to be another McQuaid, your comparing apples to oranges.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Lucic should still be here, period. The return was mediocre and he did not get a significant raise on his next contract or a 7 year deal which was suppose to be a concern with him. Lucic-Krecji-Bjork is a considerably better line than what they have flanking Krecji now. He also would provide some physical presence for 2 million more than Matt Beleskey who is only intimidating the servers on the press level at the Garden. IF Frederic develops he becomes what, half the player Lucic is without the intimidation factor, Zboril is not impressing many scouts from the sound of it, good plus minus numbers or not.

I feel the Lucic trade was fine. We got two 1st round picks out of a power forward who was likely to wear down sooner rather than later. Lucic's last season in Boston was far from his best effort.

Hamilton may not have been perfect, I was not a huge fan, with his size he should have had more physicality or at least intensity in his game , but you have to do better than what they got for him. I use the same argument with Seguin, I think it was time to move him but your return has to be dramatically better than the garbage Chiarelli got in that deal.

Absolutely the return on Hamilton was poor. For a guy who was projected to be a stud top 2 defenseman, Sweeney definitely could have worked the market harder for a better return. What if we had gotten a top 5 pick and drafted Hanifin that year. Now that would have been a legit replacement. I'm not going to blame Seguin trade on Sweeney though, that was all on Chia. Seguin trade is still one of the worst in franchise history.

Yes Sweeney's complete disrespect of the physical game is one of the reasons I think he sucks, but just one, there are many and varied reasons why I think Dealer Donnie is in over his head.

The problem is that Don hasn't even earned the name 'dealer donnie'. He hasn't pulled the trigger on enough important team improving trades yet. Dombrowski has done those and his tenure as Red Sox GM has been just as short as Don's as a Bruins GM. Sweeney has yet to show us the vision and balls to make the tough trades that will upgrade the team. So far he has been mediocre in trades. He has made some mistakes and he has made decent moves. But nothing that makes you say, wow, he took a risk and it paid off. Example Dombrowski trading for Chris Sale and Pomeranz. Risky at the time but paid off in spades now.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The Dealer Donnie is meant as sarcasm

since Lucic left he has averaged 20g 50p and is on pace for similar numbers this year, a slight drop in production but with what he brings outside of stats he is worth the 6m a year he makes, especially when you consider what his replacement Beleskey brings at almost 4million cap hit.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
There is a separate thread for Don Sweeney....but since everyone is collectively off-topic, I might as well plop this right here. I would not be surprised if Sweeney makes his first successful and possibly most impactful trade THIS season...and I wonder if we will hear anything more than a peep before the deal goes down.

Also - as a team, the bruins are fine 1/3rd of the way into the season. The game against WAS will be a big one.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I loved the Hamilton return based on the timeline and the crap his agent tried to pull to steer him to Chiarelli.

JFK
Senyshyn
Lauzon

Very good haul for da ginger feather

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
More than 50% of first round picks will never play well enough to earn a second nhl contract. If you get a mcquaid level career at pick 15 you are ahead of the average

Its not what you hope for... but its not unexpected

Bruins wish a guy like zach hamil or kevyn adams were able to be as effective as adam mcquaid was

The good news is we are now learning heinen, bjork, cehlerik look like good bets to be top 9 forwards... added to marchand, pastrnak, debrusk this gives us 6 top 9 homegrown wingers

For those bad at math there are only 6 jobs available for top 9 wingers at one time... and weve sucessfully filled every spot.

Add bergeron, krejci, jfk, federik, donato, studnicka and weve also drafted our top 3 centers in house

People who complain about our drafting and development really havent been paying attention

I defy anyone to name me a team that does it better... lets srart a thread where you try to defend that team and i go through hockeydb and name all their fails

That's not remotely accurate anymore in this day and age.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
That's not remotely accurate anymore in this day and age.

should we look at the draft results from a 3 year stretch of hockey and let you defense your statement? ive already looked at the results myself and feel comfortable with my statement

here I did it for us

lets go back 5 drafts so that the kids have had a fair chance to make it and see who is looking like they have a good career going...
mackinnnon, barkov, drouin, jones, Monahan, nurse, ristolainen, hovart, wennberg, mantha seam to be the 10 guys you can say are top contributors to their team
lindholm, domi, and maybe Theodore all could join that list... and who else?
I see 8 guys I would call career bubble players/ahl talent... and the other 9 guys fall into the category of having no trade value imo and will probably bounce around the nhl
lets say murray, galchenuk, reily, lindholm, dumba, trouba, Forsberg, ceci, hertl, teruvainen, vasilevsky, maata, skejei and maybe pearson look like 14 solid picks
jankowski and subban might be slow developers with a chance to make it
I see only 5 guys that are pretty much done at this point so the other 9 guys should still get another chance to make it but are more suspect than prospect now
Hopkins, landeskog, huberdeau, Larson, zibanjedab, scheifele, coutourier, Hamilton, brodin, miller, klefblom, namesiknov, murphy, and rackell all seem like 14 guys we would all like on our team
strome, baertschi could still become more than 3rd line 40 point guys I guess...
I'm not sure who else on the list is a success...
if you disagree with me on some names... tell us what is your definition of a good first round pick or a solid nhl player

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->